Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #106
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Eh, well that's what makes this place exciting I guess. We all handle things differently.

Well if that is your attitude... No burger for you then!

You can get in your fancy car and drive back up to your mansion on the hill.

We will be down here at the party

02-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Hehe, I'm with Gus on this one =) After all that's part of what makes Pentax so great, so many helpful people in the forum.
02-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Well if that is your attitude... No burger for you then!

You can get in your fancy car and drive back up to your mansion on the hill.

We will be down here at the party
Gus, I believe I've been one of the more tolerant posters on this forum. My flame war days are well behind me (well before I ever got into cameras to begin with). I've seen much worse posts from many of the same people in this thread.
02-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #109
Igilligan

Russ I was just pulling your metaphoric leg so to speak... you can have a burger and tell us how much you love your pentax...

02-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Russ I was just pulling your metaphoric leg so to speak... you can have a burger and tell us how much you love your pentax...
Thanks, Gus! Man, I looooooove my Pentax!

Now, I feel much better.
02-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Well, there have been several trolls here lately that joined just to tell the uninformed masses here how superior their brand is.
It's kind of tiring, reading the same doom and gloom over and over. If it's not the AF it's the 'underexposing' metering. If it's not that it's the lack of FF. If it's not that it's the frame rate. If it's not that Pentax is about to go broke again, wait, Hoya is about to sell them / close them down.

It just gets tiring seeing the same things come up again, and again, and again, and as you say Russ, there have been a few posters lately who seemed very much like deliberate trolls.

None of that excuses rudeness to new people, at all, and I'm not suggesting that's something that should become more common in this forum either.

None of the above comments are aimed at the OP and are not specific to this thread, either.

The supposed slow AF on Pentax is way overblown in my opinion.
I agree with you completely, it's really not that bad. People just don't seem to be willing to help themselves at all - if you think the light is poor enough that it might hunt, and you can help, set the AF point - it helps. Or all the people who use NiMH rechargables in a K100 and then complain about slow AF.

The supposedly underexposing metering really bugs me too. If anything, the friends of mine who have other camera brands have been impressed at the K20's reluctance to let highlights blow out.
02-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #112
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
It just gets tiring seeing the same things come up again, and again, and again, and as you say Russ, there have been a few posters lately who seemed very much like deliberate trolls.
Hopefully Pentax are reading al these and getting tired of them too!
02-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #113
Inactive Account

Onlinephotographer's Top Ten List of Camera for 2008 pick of the K20D and accompanying rationale really says it all.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax enjoys the opposite approach. Its DSLRs will work with varying degrees of compatibility with lenses going all the way back to the screwmount age, meaning, so long ago that most active photographers don't even know what we mean (Pentax or M42 screwmount was a common-standard screw-in type of lens for SLRs that was outmoded by the end of the 1960s). Plus, there is a wide variety of independent aftermarket lenses that can be fitted to a Pentax, notably including several options from Voigtländer and Zeiss that are also available for Nikons. No company has Pentax's range of purposed-for-digital single-focal-length lenses, however. Both Carl and I are using Pentax's stunning new 35mm DA Macro, which we plan to do an extensive joint post about sometime in the coming two months or so. Suffice to say that we both agree it is, in Carl's words, "really something special."

By contrast, Nikon's and Canon's large but jumbled lens lineups are a hodgepodge of good and not-so-good, old made-for-film and new digital-specific, IS-enabled and not, pro and "consumer," full-frame and reduced-frame, that can ultimately be confusing and even frustrating.
The Online Photographer: Summer '08: T.O.P. 10 New Camera Recommendations

02-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #114
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Hopefully Pentax are reading al these and getting tired of them too!
Holy smokes, If pentax is reading this... please dump the PTTL flash system and please install an switchable off/on focus assist lamp... thanks
02-27-2009, 03:59 AM   #115
Pentaxian

The supposed slow AF on Pentax is way overblown in my opinion.
+1!

When I did my research before buying into the DSLR world, I was convinced that Pentax had the best offer for me. But I kept reading about this "slow AF" and wondered whether it could really be slower than the 0.7 sec or something shutter lag on my P&S.

After I read some actual AF speed figures and definitely after using the camera, I knew that the AF is fast. More than adequate. And my 18-250 focuses in light conditions where you couldn't take a picture without a flash. After all these horror stories about sluggish AF and hunting I was simply amazed.

Pentax AF may not be as fast as the AF of other brands, but that doesn't make it slow in the absolute sense of the word. With a bit of shooting technique one can do every action shot in the book.
02-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #116
julianactive

Russ, if they came to my party talkin' smack about my little love shack and the cruddy neighborhood in which it sits.... I would give them a good beer, tell them to grab a burger...

Let my actions and words give them a taste of my world...

Calling names and spanking them in front of my friends will only push away a possible friend. And we need all the friends we can get.
You know the old saying, with friends like them you don't need enemies!
Seriously the more I deal with people the more I like my pets.
02-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #117
Veteran Member

I think you should switch...don't look back.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 02-27-2009 at 08:32 AM.
03-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #118
Veteran Member

an idea..

Holy smokes, If pentax is reading this... please dump the PTTL flash system and please install an switchable off/on focus assist lamp... thanks
hmmm. how about this: i hear some hot-shoe mounted flash units for pentax include a separate and very useful af assist lamp. would it be possible to connect via the hotshoe only such a lamp (some diy one, or,hopefully in the future, as the market is asking for it, some third party, or even pentax accessory) and have it work with or without the onboard flash? how hard could that be to hack together? (damn, i said it..) in theory, if the camera believes such a dedicated flash unit is mounted on the shoe, i see no reason why it wouldn't work (though it might be a problem to get it to work without believing we are using flash, with all that implies, though with pttl -- in this case an advantage -- it should work anyway, right?

people owning such a flash might be able to enlighten us further

ps: sorry for the thread "fork"
03-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
people owning such a flash might be able to enlighten us further
Oh dear.
03-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Oh dear.
crap.

alright: people owning such battery powered instant illumination unit ... damn, i just can't win, can i?

whoever owns the damn flashgun please inflame us with some insightful comment before we ignite the thread

there you go...