Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Do they make a Pentax to Nikon adapter?

02-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
The cheapest, good quality portal of entry to indoor sports-type photography in the Nikon camp is the AF 85/1.8D which new is $400 ballpark (I wish I had one).
Another alternative is a used 80-200/2.8 in the Nikon world...fairly cheap...you can get one for $600 (wayyy cheaper than you can find a Pentax FA*80-200). It's screw drive, and not nearly as fast as the 70-200/2.8 but fast enough.
02-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
I am talking about different situations. The FA35 I think would be wonderful for our evening get-togethers and dinners out... always very low light... always a challenge with my camera w/ my 50mm 1.4.
What is the challenge with the 50? If it's that the focal length is too long, then yes, the 35/2 would be an improvement. And that would be the case for me. But it's not like the 35/2 will focus much faster or allow for faster shutter speeds or anything like that.

QuoteQuote:
The Cheerleading thing is a whole other ball o' wax THAT is where I will be needing to "plunk down a lotta cash" for a 2.8 zoom at some point.
True, although *more* true if you go Nikon. With Pentax, you have the option of very cheap MF primes that will be stabilized to boot as a quick way of getting a *huge* improvement over the 18-250. MF takes practice, but it's not as hard as you think, and a nice thing about cheerleading is that it tends to stay in one place for a while - lots of motion, but all in the same area. So to quite a large extent you can focus once then leave it alone for a while.
02-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #49
Veteran Member

intrigued by a comment here, i had a look at the dpreview test of d90

i must say it is amazing: nikon somehow managed to keep the lack of details (and don't confuse it with softness or lack of sharpening) consistent all the way from iso 200 up to is 1600 or so. well done.

i don't shoot jpeg anyway, but i guess for people who actually like the look of the jpegs from the d90 a pentax dslr camera is definetly not the way to go.

ps: i found the dpreview comments very interesting: now that nikon delivers soft jpegs (due to "conservative" lack of sharpening, of course), the k20d sharper jpegs are "extreme". uhmm..

nanok walks away scratching head in disbelief

02-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Doesn't seem like you'll be happy until you've tried the D90 yourself. I'm sure it's a great camera and maybe you'll get the shots you want, or maybe you won't. However, you won't know for sure until you try it, so take the plunge.

BTW, here's a shot taken in a crappy elementary school auditorium with the ancient Pentax *ist DL, using the Tamron 18-250 lens. Not even close to the top of the line, or especially tuned for low light. (Same basic sensor, minus SR, as your K100D, though). This was shot at ISO 3200 and cleaned up in Lightroom 2. Not great art, but it was an action shot of a karate demonstration (the girl was moving). Yeah, there's noise, but I can still figure out what's going on in the shot.

I can't find any fault with pictures I've seen of Pentax's low light image quality, but I see a lot of photos like this are kinda blurry on the action.

Is this a result of the auto focus or of the shutter speed not being fast enough?
02-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #51
Veteran Member

For the kind of family stuff you do, a Nikon would work fine. Apart from the SR you wouldnt miss much.

However, the low light AF issue on any camera has a lot to do with lenses. Most old Pentax screw drive lenses are very slow in low light, and so are many old Nikkors and Canons. Ive noticed a dramatic improvement in focus speed using SWM/USM motor lenses so I would strongly advise you get SWM lenses if thats your major issue.

Trouble is to get a couple of SWM zooms which are fast as say the 16-50 amd 50-135 will set you back around $3000.

My best friend recently got a nikon d90 and I am in love. She is able to get so many shots that I could never get with my k100d. I had been feeling frustrated and limited with my camera even before she got the d90 as my daughter has become a cheerleader and my camera REALLY struggles in the low/crappy light of school auditoriums and I have to either accept a lot of grain or motion blur. Examples Our family and friends also do a lot of evening activities and hanging out and the d90 captures those moments with ease. Last night she had her ISO at 2000 and the pics were bright and crisp and not at all grainy.

And I know that it's gimmicky and a bit of a controversial "issue" ...but it was pretty fun last night to be able to snap great photos, and then when someone was attempting to dance like Beyonce, be able to switch over to video and take a little movie The movie thing is NOT a deal breaker for me... but it is kind of fun!

I pondered going for the k20d so that I could keep my lenses... and I do love being a Pentaxian, but I have been told that the k20d won't make me happy and do what I want it to either. Looking at the ISO tests on DPreview and other sites seems to confirm this.

I know that none of us have crystal balls... but as I am no urgent rush to get new gear, do you think I should wait awhile and hope that Pentax comes out with a camera that makes me squeal
02-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
What is the challenge with the 50? If it's that the focal length is too long, then yes, the 35/2 would be an improvement. And that would be the case for me. But it's not like the 35/2 will focus much faster or allow for faster shutter speeds or anything like that.

True, although *more* true if you go Nikon. With Pentax, you have the option of very cheap MF primes that will be stabilized to boot as a quick way of getting a *huge* improvement over the 18-250. MF takes practice, but it's not as hard as you think, and a nice thing about cheerleading is that it tends to stay in one place for a while - lots of motion, but all in the same area. So to quite a large extent you can focus once then leave it alone for a while.
The focal length is too long, but also is hunts CONSTANTLY and is just annoying because sometimes even when I think I did get the shot... it's blurry once I get it on the computer screen (not all the time, as I mentioned, when it's on, it's ON). Nicole's d90 with the Sigma lock right and and shoot right away... I have never noticed the hunting like I do with mine... BUT... the AF assist light on the d90 could be a big part of that too.

And you are right about all the action in one place. I may try your idea out before plunking out all that cash. Fortunately I have til next fall to agonize over this decision!

It seems to be matter of changing the way I shoot (shoot RAW, MF) and saving money or spending a lot of money to keep shooting in the lazy way that I enjoy

02-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I am talking about different situations. The FA35 I think would be wonderful for our evening get-togethers and dinners out... always very low light... always a challenge with my camera w/ my 50mm 1.4.

The Cheerleading thing is a whole other ball o' wax THAT is where I will be needing to "plunk down a lotta cash" for a 2.8 zoom at some point.
Okay that clears that up. So when you are comparing your friend's D90 to your K100DS you are comparing the 50 f1.4 and the 30 f1.4 for family get togethers and dinner out? What about the Cheerleading pictures? What are you using for comparison?
02-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Okay that clears that up. So when you are comparing your friend's D90 to your K100DS you are comparing the 50 f1.4 and the 30 f1.4 for family get togethers and dinner out? What about the Cheerleading pictures? What are you using for comparison?

I have no comparison. She just got the d90 and cheering is over. I have only used my 18-250 at cheering competitions so far. (This is the first year she decided to cheer, before this she only played field hockey and outdoors I have been nothing but happy with my camera and lenses)
02-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Okay now I get where you are coming from. My carry around kit consists of 18-250, FA50 1.4 and my AF360 flash. Is flash photography out of the question for you? One of the higher powered flash might get you enough light to use your current setup. Otherwise the best-in-class fast zoom to look at is the DA*50-135.
02-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #56
Veteran Member

My Advice

I think your requirements of low light fast AF capability and high performance of high ISO speeds are both not strong points of the current Pentax AF bodies. As you have stated, the Nikon D90 excels in both far beyond what our Pentax DSLRs would do.

The good thing I would let you know is Pentax seems to have found out a way to improve their sluggish AF performance at indoor and dimmer environment with their K-m (whilst the K20D is still of an older generation of the AF system), see this and you will know:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: AF Speed Difference of K-m Vs K20D

So, I suggest you if you do not have urgent needs, just wait until early March to see what new stuff Pentax will offer to replace the K20D and the K200D (which was discontinued already). If you cannot wait, you could start a new Nikon system first and to run two systems concurrently before you can decide further which system you like more and suit more your shooting needs.

I have got and used a Canon 5D for almost two years now but I still have not abandoned my Pentax system. In fact, I have almost not used my Pentax DSLR body anymore. I think this would be the last time I used my K body. However, I still use much of my excellent Pentax glass daily and more than my Canon glass (including a L lens), on my 5D.

YMMV, though. In short, run in dual if needed. But frankly, for most people, I can't see the need to invest dual systems unless you have special requirements or specific needs.

My best friend recently got a nikon d90 and I am in love. She is able to get so many shots that I could never get with my k100d. I had been feeling frustrated and limited with my camera even before she got the d90 as my daughter has become a cheerleader and my camera REALLY struggles in the low/crappy light of school auditoriums and I have to either accept a lot of grain or motion blur. Examples Our family and friends also do a lot of evening activities and hanging out and the d90 captures those moments with ease. Last night she had her ISO at 2000 and the pics were bright and crisp and not at all grainy.

And I know that it's gimmicky and a bit of a controversial "issue" ...but it was pretty fun last night to be able to snap great photos, and then when someone was attempting to dance like Beyonce, be able to switch over to video and take a little movie The movie thing is NOT a deal breaker for me... but it is kind of fun!

I pondered going for the k20d so that I could keep my lenses... and I do love being a Pentaxian, but I have been told that the k20d won't make me happy and do what I want it to either. Looking at the ISO tests on DPreview and other sites seems to confirm this.

I know that none of us have crystal balls... but as I am no urgent rush to get new gear, do you think I should wait awhile and hope that Pentax comes out with a camera that makes me squeal
02-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #57
Veteran Member

As others have said this type of shooting can be challenging. Looking at the EXIF data of your shots you where shooting at f/5.6 and ISO800 which resulted in 1/60th s shutter speed, way to slow to freeze action. I don't have a K100d myself so I don't know how well it handles noise but getting the shot sharp is preferable to having some extra noise... so I'd bump up that ISO to 1600 (or 3200 if that is an option on the K100d).

Also, like others have said you really need a faster lens for this type of shooting.

I've been doing some low light, action sports shooting myself lately that I think may even be more challenging. I decided to shoot ISO 3200 for the entire time with my K20 so I could even come close to freezing the action. These shots had very little post processing.. about 30s worth for each shot.

Here is a link to the shots: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/51861-iso3200-dog-agilit...00-ex-hsm.html

I have no experience with the d90 so I can't comment on it.

John
02-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
She just got the d90 and cheering is over. I have only used my 18-250 at cheering competitions so far
"I am not sure where anyone got the idea that I was comparing my 18-250 with her 30mm 1.4"

ok, so I'm still confused
She didn't shoot cheerleading w/ the D90? Or if she did, she didn't use the 30/1.4? Or did she use something else?
Head hurts...
02-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #59
Veteran Member

There is no "Pentax to Nikon adaptor"

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Do they make a Pentax to Nikon adapter?
Just because the back register distance of the Pentax is shorter than the Nikon's:-

Canon EOS lens Adapters - Manual focus lenses on Canon EOS bodies

Pentax is 45.5mm whereas Nikon is 46.5mm. As such, adapting a Nikkor onto Pentax body is still possible without an correction lens whilst to adapt Pentax lens to a Nikon body is not possible unless a correction lens is added - and there are possible mechanical conflicts too as the K lenses' rear comes into the F body more often. Practically, you won't find a K to F body adaptor anywhere but a F to K can be rarely found (such a adaptor is only 1mm thick!).
02-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edward B. Quote
I can't find any fault with pictures I've seen of Pentax's low light image quality, but I see a lot of photos like this are kinda blurry on the action.

Is this a result of the auto focus or of the shutter speed not being fast enough?
Motion blur is a result of too slow shutter speed. Once you get to ISO3200 and open the aperture as wide as you can, the shutter speed is what it is. I was using the 18-250 (same as the OP), so the aperture was probably around f/5.x or so. Obviously a faster lens would've helped, but I shot with what I had at the time.

BTW, this is true with any camera brand, unless they can somehow violate the laws of physics.