Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Just for some examples of what the K200D can do; page 1 through 7 are K200D with various lenses.

Daily Photography Photo Gallery by ajuett at pbase.com

02-23-2009, 03:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Okay, I think these are the major differences between the two, and all I have to decide is whether the extra $250 is worth it.

Advantages to K20D

14.6 vs 10.1 MP sensor
100-3200 vs 100-1600 ISO range
Slightly faster in continuous shooting mode
pentaprism viewfinder instead of pentamirror
Digital preview on the LCD screen

Advantages to K200D

uses standard AA (I'd use NMH Rechargeables) vs Rechargeable Li-Ion
A touch smaller and lighter

Am I missing something?
Are the ergonomics of the K20D any better? I don't think there is a retailer close to me so it would be hard for me to compare. I just know that the K100DS is pretty nice.
The batteries in the K20 are MUCH better than AAs: less bulky and last looong. Form the two batteries (camera and grip) I get way over 1000 shots out of the camera (more like 1400-1600), even with immediate review on the lcd all the time. So I consider this to be another advantage of the K20.

You should not forget one thing: tax deduction! If your wife needs a camera kit for her job, she should get that in writing from her new employer and then you can deduce the whole new kit from her taxes.

Ben
02-23-2009, 04:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
K20D or hang in a couple of months..
Wow, what a teaser.

I'm surprised the forum hasn't gone mad about this comment yet.

Perhaps it has already in the rumour threads. I don't follow these if I can help it. Too much .... rumours.
02-23-2009, 04:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Wow, what a teaser.

I'm surprised the forum hasn't gone mad about this comment yet.

Perhaps it has already in the rumour threads. I don't follow these if I can help it. Too much .... rumours.
Heh, I was actually about to mention that quote =b I can't wait for better autofocus in K20 or even better sensor.

02-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The batteries in the K20 are MUCH better than AAs: less bulky and last looong. Form the two batteries (camera and grip) I get way over 1000 shots out of the camera (more like 1400-1600), even with immediate review on the lcd all the time. So I consider this to be another advantage of the K20.
If you use the grip with the K200D, you should *also* get over 1000 shots per charge. At least, I assume so - I don't have the K200D grip. But minus grip, both cameras get about the same battery life from everything I've heard; I'm assuming adding the grip basically doubles that.

As for other advantages or disadvantages of the battery types, that's an ongoing debate. The K20D battery is less bulky, no doubt. But that doesn't even come close to outweighing the numerous advantages of AA in my book (available anywhere, available "forever", benefits from future technology advances, interchangeable with other devices, ability to use one charger for all devices, etc). But it's a personal choice, to be sure.
02-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If you use the grip with the K200D, you should *also* get over 1000 shots per charge. At least, I assume so - I don't have the K200D grip. But minus grip, both cameras get about the same battery life from everything I've heard; I'm assuming adding the grip basically doubles that.

As for other advantages or disadvantages of the battery types, that's an ongoing debate. The K20D battery is less bulky, no doubt. But that doesn't even come close to outweighing the numerous advantages of AA in my book (available anywhere, available "forever", benefits from future technology advances, interchangeable with other devices, ability to use one charger for all devices, etc). But it's a personal choice, to be sure.
Marc, I was a big fan of the AAs myself and very reluctanty switched to the K10, from my istDS. But now, I am totally convinced, the LithiumIon blocks are the better choice. The only thing I miss, is a dedicated external battery back for using the camera in the cold, but I could probably make one for the external power plug... Now with 8 batteries and two bodies I can basically do any job, even over two weeks, without recharging. Its just great.

Ben
02-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Batteries shoudn't be a factor when looking at a camera system imho. The Hybrid AA batteries are so good now and much more inexpensive than a proprietory lithium battery. I went on a 2 week trip, took 600+ RAW images on 1 set of AA. I nearly ran out of all my card space (10GB) before a new set was needed. The camera was on a lot when hiking around, etc. A charge every 2 weeks does not factor into a sale for me.

02-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CalendarGuy Quote
The K200D has dust mapping/removal as well as pixel mapping.

Wow! As Johnny Carson would say to Ed McMahon, "I did not know that".

Sorry for spreading FUD, and good on Pentax for adding those features to their other cameras. Pixel mapping was high on my list of features when I was looking at the K20D.
02-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, I finally decided to go for the K20. I found a kit for $750 with free shipping, which was $50 better even than prodigital.

The reason? Nothing to do with what I originally was thinking about, which I enumerated in my earlier posts, but as I thought about it overnight I focused in on how and what I shoot. I really enjoy taking candid shots of people, and to do that, you don't always get up as close to a subject as you want. Because of this, I tend to be a very heavy cropper, and I think in the end I'll get better resolution with highly cropped images with the K20.

Thanks again everybody.
02-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Say, didn't I read something about Pentax selling the battery grips for the k200d for 19.99 for a limited time only or something? I'd like to get in on that if that is true. Anyone know?