Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #1

camera's date of manufacture?

Hi,

Is there a way to find out the date of my samsung pentax's manufactured date?

Thanks

02-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Manufacture Date

QuoteOriginally posted by samsung Quote
Hi,

Is there a way to find out the date of my samsung pentax's manufactured date?

Thanks
On my K10D, its in the exif data, "Manufacture Date". I displayed it using exiftool.exe. I would guess that the Samsung has this information, as well.

Another very interesting datum in the exif is the number of shutter actuations.
02-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
On my K10D, its in the exif data, "Manufacture Date". I displayed it using exiftool.exe. I would guess that the Samsung has this information, as well.
Another very interesting datum in the exif is the number of shutter actuations.
Strictly speaking the Manufacture Date and Shutter Count are not in the standard EXIF metadata set -
but additional information provided by the individual manufacturer.
(eg: my Canon p&s does not have a manufacture date or shutter count, nor any of the sample shots from Canon dSLRs, Nikon dSLRs do have the shutter count - but not manufacture date)

So there are many EXIF readers that do not show the information -
- eg: the really nice IrfanView viewer or FastStone Viewer.

the aforementioned exifTool does
as does the well regarded PhotoME - which is very comprehensive and seems to be well integrated with Windows (including FireFox)

Last edited by UnknownVT; 02-22-2009 at 01:24 PM.
02-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Yes, that PhotoMe utility shows a lot of data that most EXIF viewers don't show.

02-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about the firmware?

Is the firmware version in the metadata too?
02-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Is the firmware version in the metadata too?
It's probably easier to see that on the camera.
You can check your current firmware version by turning the camera on while holding down the MENU button.

However yes, the firmware version is included in the Pentax metadata.

With PhotoME and a photo from the K100D - it's in 3 places -
right at the main Overview panel -
Software: K100D Ver 1.02

Then in manufacturer notes section -
DSP firmware version ver.1.02.00.06
CPU firmware version ver. 1.02.00.06
02-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
as does the well regarded PhotoME - which is very comprehensive and seems to be well integrated with Windows (including FireFox)
I second Photome!

And it's free but donation is recommended if you wish to thank Jens Duttke (the developer) for his fine work!

I do wish Photome would expand to also view images... Irfanview is good but doesn't offer extensive EXIF info, Lightroom is too bulky for a quick view....

02-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I do wish Photome would expand to also view images... Irfanview is good but doesn't offer extensive EXIF info, Lightroom is too bulky for a quick view....
hmmm... PhotoME partially mitigates this by using quick launch buttons - shown at the top right.

For example for .PEF images - mine has Pentax Photo Browser; IrfanView and FastStone viewer.

For JPG it shows a whole bunch - but I tend to just click on the Windows Picture and FAX viewer.
02-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

As a Mac user, I rely on MacMetaShow, an implementation of exifTool ver. 6.56. Sadly, among the wealth of EXIF data shown once the droplet app is renamed MacMetaShow-all, the camera manufacture date for my K10D isn't reported.

Oh, well...no PhotoME for Macs, either. I guess my curiosity about my camera's manufacture date will have to await some other, more exhaustive, Mac-friendly EXIF reader.
02-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
As a Mac user, I rely on MacMetaShow, an implementation of exifTool ver. 6.56. Sadly, among the wealth of EXIF data shown once the droplet app is renamed MacMetaShow-all, the camera manufacture date for my K10D isn't reported.

Oh, well...no PhotoME for Macs, either. I guess my curiosity about my camera's manufacture date will have to await some other, more exhaustive, Mac-friendly EXIF reader.
You should be able to update the version of exiftool embedded in your MacMetaShow application. Just control-click on the App and choose "Show Package Contents". Then browse to find where "exiftool" and the "lib" directory are located. Then replace these with the current version from the exiftool home page: ExifTool by Phil Harvey (Download the full Perl version, unpack the .gz file, then drag "exiftool" and the "lib" directory to replace entries in your MacMetaShow).

The current version of exiftool is 7.70, and this version displays the camera manufacture date and shutter count etc.
02-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boardhead Quote
ExifTool by Phil Harvey
The current version of exiftool is 7.70, and this version displays the camera manufacture date and shutter count etc.
Talking about ExifTool - I obviously didn't like this as much as PhotoME -
BUT this is not a comparison -

I have only just discovered this, so forgive me if this is already well known -

PhotoME has Quick Launch Buttons (top right) that opens the image being examined with the launch program - this kind of addresses the problem that PhotoME does not show the full sized image and only a thumbnail.

In the course of adding and modifying the Quick Launch Buttons -
Setting > Options...> Quick Launch Buttons tab -
there was a Download Quick Launch templates -
Clicking on that link took me to this page

Not very clear - but the gist is that using the template and ExifTool - once installed - one can import the metadata from any image and paste it into any image.

So let's say I have an image that I post-processed and lost all the metadata (because my image editor does not preserve those) -

To get the original metadata back -

Open the processed image with PhotoME (which will warn that image does not have metadata - open it anyway) - then click on the installed Quick Launch Button (mouse-over says Import Metadata from RAW - I know it says RAW but it can be any file with metadata) and select the original (pre-processed) image - ExifTool runs and the original metadata is now in the Post-processed image - one has to re-open that post-processed image - but voila! all the original metadata is restored - I thought that was pretty neat!
03-05-2009, 02:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for the good advice, Boardhead! All I had to do in addition was to rename the "Image-ExifTool-7.70" folder to "Image-ExifTool-stripped" after dropping it in the Resources folder, so that the MacMetaShow script would properly access the Unix executable file.

So, mine was made on October 4, 2007. Another mystery of the universe resolved!

Last edited by christinelandon; 03-05-2009 at 02:25 AM. Reason: A technical point regarding installing the update
03-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I only have one K200D to view the PhotoMe output. My question would be, is the date of manufacture an exact date like say that on a food wrapper? Or does each model have the same date until something changes either in the camera specs or at the manufacturing level?
That is, would all Pentax model XYZ have the date of for example of June 01, 2008 and then if the factory changed certain operations or whatever then they would all carry the next generic date of say December 15, 2008?
I think this might be of interest when buying a used camera. Was it really "made" back in 2006 or is that just the nominal date and it was actually created in 2008?
Just a weird thought that I had about the Exif information!

-TomK-
03-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which line in PhotoMe has the manufacture date?
03-07-2009, 12:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Which line in PhotoMe has the manufacture date?
I don't know for sure ....

but do you see the bottom bar - that says Find: ?
type in manufacture date and PhotoME displays that field......

It's somewhere in Manufacturer Notes way down the list.