Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For work, I love it. For travel/personal photography I leave it off to keep weight/bulk down

02-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #17
Forum Member

I want the grip sooooooo bad.
02-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

You do indeed! See all the good reasons above...the D-BG2 is simply one of the best accessories ever!
02-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I don't think the K10 or K20 is complete without the grip. It provides a larger surface to hold on to in addition to the extra battery and storage for memory card and remote. It is never off my camera.

Tom G

02-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #20

Wouldn't be without it. The only time it comes off the body is to change the battery (have 3, one in camera, one in grip, one on standby). Love the grip for it's heft, carrying the battery, and an extra card. The weight is more than compensated for by having the accessories in it, rather than carrying them in a pocket or having a case weighing me down or getting in the way.
02-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamescp Quote
Hi everyone.
I'm thinking of getting a battery grip for my camera. What do people think of theirs
and would they buy one again etc.
Thanks.
But I do think that it is best to try and handle a camera that has a grip attached to see how you like the feel. Of course this is not an easy thing to do for most of us. You should also consider the space your camera will take up in whatever bag you now have with a grip attached to it.
Having two or three batteries alone and easy access to the camera's battery compartment makes a lot more sense to some people rather than having a grip attached, an additional $70-$120 invested in the system and more than two batteries.
Now that I have had mine for a few weeks, I could live with or without one really. The thing would not have fit well in my Pentax sling bag so I did move most everything for my K10 into my Lowepro 200 SS which is beginning to be comfortable and satisfying.
02-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #22
Forum Member

K10D grip

Love the grip!!! Adds a bit of weight,to be sure.. but as mentioned by others ,this helps for balance,especially when using larger lens.
I find it great for portrait mode,my Sigma 17-70 balances nicely with it,and extra dials are SO handy!!
Overall,I believe the grip is the finishing touch on a fantastic camera.Good luck on your choice!!
02-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I handled the k20d without the grip before and liked it. When I ordered my camera, I ordered the battery grip with it and can honestly say its a much, much better camera with it. Lots of people talk about how nice it is when holding vertically, I actually have trouble with it since I use the AF button to focus and turn off the auto-focus from the shutter being pressed halfway.

I really enjoy using it normally, for me it handles WAY better because its a more solid grip. My wife only likes handling it with it on because its way more comfortable, reason being that the battery grip makes the camera larger than your hand. Without it, the bottom of the camera ends above your pinkie finger. With the grip, it extends beyond and makes it a lot more comfortable, at least for us.

That, and it makes it look a lot cooler! Plus SD card storage, an extra battery and remote storage, its simply one of the best camera accessories I can imagine.

02-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #24

I actually didn't like the BG2 grip on my K10D when I first got it. I was a bit disappointed that I had purchased it. It didn't take long, however, before I got used to the feel of it.

I too like it especially with larger lenses. I feel like there is less chance of dropping my camera with the grip also.
02-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #25
Site Supporter

I love the grip.

The only reason i would ever take the grip off is if the lens im using is reaaallly light (im looking at you cheapo FA lens...)

although... why would i want to buy one again? heh
02-28-2009, 05:45 AM   #26

I have the grip on all the time. Holds the extra battery, SD card and remote. I did'nt think i was going to like it, but I love it now.
02-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #27

BG2

Another vote for the grip. If you set the camera to auto select it will use the battery with the strongest charge first, then switch to the other one when necessary automatically. 2 batteries will probably give you 1000 shots or more. And you can buy a Minolta NP 400 battery (1700Mah) instead of the genuine Pentax battery for under $20.
If you use a tele, you won't want to be without the grip.
Jim
02-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #28
Pentaxian

It's great. I am a big guy with big mitts and I like the extra grip I get because of the increased area of the camera with the grip. I carry an extra battery, remote control and memory card in the grip so the storage space is great. I run out of battery power, I just switch to grip battery and regain shooting.

I don't worry about the sudden loss without much warning the battery gives, now that I always have a spare in the grip.

It makes vertical pictures easier, also like the side shutter button. It weighs a bit more , but the adavantages far out trumph that one...sole....disadvantage.

I would not want to be without my battery grip.
02-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
k10d grip

Thanks everyone for your input. It looks like its of to the camera store. I have been watching the marketplace and missed out on one great chance. Living in Canada cuts my options on as to the value of our dollar right now but I see one at a local store for $169.00 cdn. That seems like a good price to me.
Thanks again
02-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jamescp Quote
Thanks everyone for your input. It looks like its of to the camera store. I have been watching the marketplace and missed out on one great chance. Living in Canada cuts my options on as to the value of our dollar right now but I see one at a local store for $169.00 cdn. That seems like a good price to me.
Thanks again
That was a very good price...I think when I bought mine a year or so ago it was $ 189-199 something like that.

If your budget permits, consider getting another Pentax K10D battery to keep as a spar in the grip. I have done so and when I go out on a trip or just a local shoot, I don't have to play guessing games as o whether my battery will die in the middle of a shot...leaving me high and dry.

I just go through the menu to page 3, under battery switch and power up again on the fresh and charged spare.