Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
battery grip for k10d

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everyone.
I'm thinking of getting a battery grip for my camera. What do people think of theirs
and would they buy one again etc.
Thanks.

02-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have it and love it. Really I take it off once and a while and miss it every time. Only reason I take it off is when going to an event that I worry I will get the "That a Pro Camera" and not allowed. It is well worth it I think and if you have any bigger lenses it adds a great balance. Oh I still only have one battery never got the second one. So my reason was strictly for the added grip and the vertical shooting ease./
02-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #3

I have BG2 grip and the only time it is off the camera is to change the battery in the body.
Yes it does add some weight to the system; however I like the vertical grip with the controls right at your finger tips. The ability to hold a spare SD card is nice as is the extra battery. I understand there is room for one of the Pentax remotes, but as I use an off brand remote I can't say for sure.
02-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi james

This rather depends on a number of things including personal preference, ergonomics, controls, balance and price etc ! Personally I only use a D-BG2 grip attached to the first K10D, which is invariably fitted with my Tamron 18-250mm lens. In my experience the handling of the camera feels greatly improved with the grip attached, especially when held in portrait (vertical) mode. You can also double the battery life of the camera by installing 2 fully-charged Li-Ion batteries (one in K10D body, one in D-BG2 grip), meaning photographers can confidently shoot all day & all night if necessary…..lol ! Bear in mind that this grip is also weather resistant and has a vertical release, green button, exposure compensation button and two mode dials. Lastly, there is a remarkably useful storage slot in the sliding battery tray for holding a spare SD/SDHC card and also a Pentax Remote Control F (available separately).
At the risk of stating the obvious, you really need to try one for yourself if at all possible.

02-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #5

Best thing since sliced bread, wouldn't be without it.
I never use the verstical grip function and controls, but the extended battery capacity, SD card storage and better ergonomics for my large hands make it indispensible.
02-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

love it. I have big hands and like a big camera, which is one of the reasons why the K10 appealed to me.

The battery grip makes 'portrait' pictures way easier as well, and it houses another battery and a spare card.
02-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Another vote for it. But everyone else that uses my camera complains it's too big and heavy. Of course they're all P&S people anyway.

02-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

When I was considering the K10, the store model had the grip on it. I was thinking $125 was a lot to spend for something I "wouldn't use."

Well, I held the camera for about 30 seconds, then put the grip back on.

It never comes off Battery in the grip only keeps it lighter and easier to change. You get like 400 pics on a charge anyway.
02-23-2009, 06:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The grip also let you store 1 SD card, and 1 remote Pentax F model.
02-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

k20+grip=True

I have a k20d (same body as k10d)

Since the day I bought it with a battery-grip I have never take off it yet

so, buy it and be happy in my opinion

//Emil
02-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
Forum Member

I have wide hands, so it was a no-brainer for me to get one. I didn't like my little finger swinging free under the camera. I also like the added weight. It seems to keep me a little steadier when I shoot off-hand. It does add some balance for heavier lenses, too. The added battery capacity, SD and remote storage are just more reasons to love it. The only reasons why I could see someones not finding it useful is if they has small hands, not tolerant of extra weight/bulk, or want their equipment to be very discreet. Another thing, is if you get one and don't like it, you can sell it in the marketplace for very little loss. They seem to sell well there.
02-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The storage inside the grip is great...it's the little things that count sometimes.

I have large hands. When the pinky is hanging off the bottom, my hand gets tired of holding the cam within 5 minutes. With the grip, I can (and have) held it all day.

For the balance and comfort gained, I'm willing to take the 6-8oz weight penalty (or whatever the grip weighs).
02-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

definitely go for it,
I have always missed grip for my K100. When I bought K10, D-BG2 moved right up my shopping list. Since I got it, it never comes off! Well OK, only when I shoot verticaly on tripod (stupid screws on my ball head interfere with camera due to moved axe). It improves handling of the camera greatly especialy if you got bigger hands. Extra battery is great and SD storage is nice touch. It's definitely recommended: *****
BR

PS: if you are worried about weihgt penalty, just slap DA40 on to the camera...

Last edited by axl; 02-23-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: PS added
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have one of the rip offs but I would say it is a not too bad rip off. It is the Travor grip which is very similar is looks and features to the Pentax grip but most likely not quite as weather and water resistant; which makes little difference to me.
It has the, well here let me show you: Battery Grip for Pentax K10D K20D replace D-BG2 - eBay (item 220360423041 end time Mar-13-09 18:40:58 PDT)

It's not bad. I do not have the Pentax remote. When I see my cousin next time I will see if the smaller Pentax F remote fits in the compartment. I do have the "ultimate emergency SD card" stash in that compartment just for the sake of seeing if it fits well. And I often to accidentally illuminate the top lcd screen when moving my hand and pushing the respective button.

And from what I understand, I select "grip" first for the power supply so yesterday when the battery ran out, the camera shut off of course so I turn it off for few seconds, then turned it back on and selected "body" to continue shooting off that second battery. What I am saying is that perhaps with this grip, if you select grip first on the camera, it will run from the battery in the grip until it depletes and shuts off. You then have the option of continuing using power from the body of changing the grip battery. Either way I do not suppose it will make it easy for you to drain both batteries without notice. I wonder if you select the "auto" function and use the Pentax or other grips if you get this type of warning. Anyone?
02-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
Damn Brit

I have the Pentax grip and it is never off the camera, it feels much more balanced in my hand with it on.