Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emotive45 Quote
Nice work for a nube.
I like the shot of the woman at the window using available light. Did you use some type of snoot on camera to light the model or was it studio lighting that you used?
Thanks. I've been studying the strobist stuff for a while. That particular shot was done with nothing but a reflector, and the Sigma 17-70 lens.
With studio lighting, you don't really need a D700's big pixels (most shots are at ISO100 and f/8). That was one reason I pointed you at that. The low light pictures like the girl with the striped headwrap were done handheld at 1/15sec at ISO800 though, but that was because I couldn't use studio strobes at the time.

Both the D90 and D300 and D700 are roughly the size of the K10D/K20D. I have friends w/ both. When you slap a grip on any of them, they're huge

p.s., and no one noticed my shutter noise...we were all too busy trying to figure out hot to pose the models
You might want to find a portable 7" DVD player...they'll have an RCA input and you can plug your camera's output into it to at least do some viewing at a bigger size. That was a strobist tip from a while back..

02-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

thanks alexeyga

mainly done in photoshop camera raw and convert to black and white with the hue/sat sliders as it gives more control over the tones in the image. i' love the hue/sat sliders.

with the k20D I've heard that the studio lights can be jacked straight into the camera w/o the need for a hot shoe adapter. is that true?
You should try the Gorman-Holbert B&W Conversion Method... you gonna love the possibilities..

As far as D20 and studio lights go... can't really tell you, i'm not exactly a studio kind of shooter... The only few times I shot in a studio, i was using a Nikon body with a wireless flash adapter mounted on the hot shoe... not really helpful...

But if you're planning to jump brands, go toward the D700 right away... otherwise it's not worth the trouble...
02-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the tips. it looked as if you'd used a snoot. looks like a spot light around the model. sounds as if your progressing a little faster than me but we had to do a lot of stuff in first and second yr completely unrelated to photography before we majored in subject of choice. i.e. drawing and design etc. had i been just concentrating on straight out photography, i think things would be a little different.

it's a real pity they can't bring out ONE gadget that does it all - a portable device for storage and viewing images from camera. i.e. 500GB storage to back up images in the field, takes all types of memory sticks doubling as a card reader AND allows viewing of images as you shoot. i'd be happy. get's tedious with all the different gadgets and at the rate technology is advancing these days it's a given that anything i buy is gonna be out dated in two yrs time anyway.
02-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
You should try the Gorman-Holbert B&W Conversion Method... you gonna love the possibilities..
I'll google that and let you know.

02-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #35
Veteran Member

it's a real pity they can't bring out ONE gadget that does it all - a portable device for storage and viewing images from camera. i.e. 500GB storage to back up images in the field, takes all types of memory sticks doubling as a card reader AND allows viewing of images as you shoot. i'd be happy. get's tedious with all the different gadgets and at the rate technology is advancing these days it's a given that anything i buy is gonna be out dated in two yrs time anyway.
Duh... don't worry about it girl... just try to keep it stupid simple and do your homework... you'll be just find... B.t.w. A friend of mine, he's a wedding shooter as well... just upgraded from the D70s to D300 just because he was looking kinda stupid while some guests had more advanced cameras than the one he was shooting with... So it all comes down to your hands and skills... your equipment is just a tool, no more...

Cheers!
02-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I'll google that and let you know.
Here is my source
02-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cool thanks for that. I'll check it out!
02-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
thanks for the tips. it looked as if you'd used a snoot. looks like a spot light around the model. sounds as if your progressing a little faster than me but we had to do a lot of stuff in first and second yr completely unrelated to photography before we majored in subject of choice. i.e. drawing and design etc.
It's just a hobby for me, so it's weekends only. I'm a software developer during the day...you sound like you're a young'un...
A snoot looks different..more rounded.

And yes, the K20D has a PC sync port. That was one major reason I upgraded from a K10D but I'm enjoying the nice ISO800 grain now that I have it.

alexeyga: that's a cool B&W conversion technique!

02-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also are there any other improvements in the way of uploading images to PC wirelessly?
It isn't Pentax, but this thread coincidentally shows a wireless solution - should develop some info for you.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/51608-tethered-wir...assistant.html
02-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #40
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
With studio lighting, you don't really need a D700's big pixels (most shots are at ISO100 and f/8).
The reason I want more pixels is finer detail when zooming in and enhancing an image in photoshop as i'd like to move to more creative photography, fine art photography etc. it stands out amongst general photography and has the wow factor. Trying to make a selection on whisp's of hair for example in photoshop is pretty difficult unless you have the larger image at the best resolution you can take it at. you need more pixels to work with for finer realistic looking blends from model to background to my mind...that is the way i've found it. i don't even bother shooting in jpeg anymore for this reason. we're working on plain black and white standard back drops in studio at the moment and occasionally i like to drop a different background in for creative effect, or place a model in a landscape scene for a dramatic result etc. so taking on a white background is good for me selection wise. It's also helpful if I want to retain a good sized image later but need to crop down. If you start of with something small and then crop and enlarge, it pixelates or resolution is lost somewhere along the line.

As i have been going through training my own visual critique of my work is such that i'd like my images to be sharper, more detailed and i'd like more clarity. it's only natural progression. i think you do this as a gradual process when learning and going through various post editing to be honest.

the image you get with the standard dslr is not as detailed as you would get with film, and this is well known, so to me moving up in pixel and buying something that gives more detail is progression and getting more towards what you could achieve with film is necessity. i can quite honestly look at my work from last year and see where i need to make improvements and image quality and pixel count is definately something i would like. my k10D was a great learning tool, but for personal growth, i'd like to move towards the above. i'm sure everyone thought digital cameras were the bees knees when they were 1.3 -2 mega pixel and a lot of the time had to forgo image quality for the convenience of having instant images which they could upload in next to no time and manipulate etc. however, chips improve.

i know a lot of photographers like to capture as much in camera as they can in order to do as little post production as possible, but i have found a style i like, a flow in the way i work in photoshop and wish to improve on that where my camera is concerned as i know it can be done and is possible now. as chips improve, you will see vast changes in the quality of images.

Last edited by Emotive45; 02-23-2009 at 02:16 AM.
02-23-2009, 01:37 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
just upgraded from the D70s to D300 just because he was looking kinda stupid while some guests had more advanced cameras than the one he was shooting with...
Cheers!
Whilst I am familiar with the old adage, "it ain't the type of tools you have but what you do with it that counts," both you and i know over time advances are made and sometimes it IS the tools your working with that count. your friend is perfectly right in upgrading for that reason and basically i would have no problemo doing the same to be honest.

a.) i do not want to look like a guest at a wedding shoot... i want to look like i take my job and my craft seriously and yeh sometimes there is a necessity to upgrade to be taken seriously or move to another brand of camera etc. unfortunately despite what a few people feel or think on that topic, it will always be the case. you could say this is my home work... at the end of the day i only have to justify to myself why i want to leap to an upgrade or change brands completely... this is my personal growth, no one else's. if no one ever did compare quality or look at upgrading we'd all we'd still be with film and in dark rooms at the end of the day.

b.) i don't know why a lot of photographers feel that it does not matter which brand i choose to work with. at the end of the day...if i'm reading more in magazines about what a nikon can do or a canon and i see a style of work i like and know the photographer is affiliated with a certain brand, damned right i am going to move to it. on my course there are some 100 students moving through per yr... i'm the only one in two yrs to be using a pentax and as far as i am concerned i bought my pentax k10d as it was the cheapest one on the market and suited my needs at the time. but like anyone else, due to work process and what i've achieved thus far, i know i can improve with brand...it has nothing to do with my ability in camera. something is telling me that 199 people (students) can't be wrong when they choose a canon or a nikon over a pentax. yeh i was amateur to start with, but this year i'd like to move on basically and be seen as professional by colleagues and other photographers that I personally know...not just for the quality of my work, but for the fact that i considered my equipment and shelled out on the best i could get.

there seems to be so much flack on this forum when you considering a move to another brand now i'm looking through, which is great for all you happy campers who are happy and proud to be carrying around a pentax. sorry i don't feel the love anymore. non doubt there would be even more flack on the nikon forum if i had a nikon and was contemplating a k20d but to be honest i would not give a flying .... as long as whatever i was holding in my hands made me feel comfortable at the end of the day and gave me the clarity i was happy with. Believe the improvement is something like 24 mega pixels on one top of the range camera. i just want the best, the one most associated with professional photographers at this stage now (don't know why apart from the fact they are in 99% percent of photography magazines and the leap in pixels).

Last edited by Emotive45; 02-23-2009 at 02:22 AM.
02-23-2009, 01:42 AM   #42
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
you sound like you're a young'un...

alexeyga: that's a cool B&W conversion technique!
well if 45 is what you consider young thats cool. i feel like an old bag around the vast majority of students actually since they're all 17 and upwards. not that i think age has anything to do with it...some of them are turning out some damned good stuff. leaves my stuff for dead actually.
02-23-2009, 02:57 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The reason I want more pixels is finer detail when zooming in and enhancing an image in photoshop as i'd like to move to more creative photography, fine art photography etc. it stands out amongst general photography and has the wow factor. Trying to make a selection on whisp's of hair for example in photoshop is pretty difficult unless you have the larger image at the best resolution you can take it at. you need more pixels to work with for finer realistic looking blends from model to background to my mind...that is the way i've found it. i don't even bother shooting in jpeg anymore for this reason. ....
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this. It is no more difficult to make a selection of wisp's of hair in Photoshop whether you're shooting an APS-C camera like the K20D or a FF camera like the D700/5D Mk II, etc. Nothing to do with the camera but how adept you are in Photoshop.

... the image you get with the standard dslr is not as detailed as you would get with film, and this is well known, so to me moving up in pixel and buying something that gives more detail is progression and getting more towards what you could achieve with film is necessity...
The resolution of mid to high end DSLRs already exceed 35mm film in my opinion. More pixels is one issue but how those pixels faithfully render the image is just as important.

Just recently I went through some still life product packaging shots shot in a studio between the Hasselblad H3D-31, Nikon D3 on loan and Pentax K20D. Obviously the Hasselblad being MF provides the highest resolution but did you know which camera gave the most accurate colour rendition among the three cameras? Surprise, surprise, it was the K20D!!! The D3 produced a vibrant colour rendition that will probably appeal to many but it was just not as accurate as the K20D. The Hasselblad gave more resolution but the CCD sensor just lagged behind in colour fidelity.

What gear you choose is really up to you. The thing is as a student studying photography it should already have dawned on you that the craft is far more important than the gear.
02-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #44
Pentaxian

The only improvement I'd want is some type of infra red with the focusing...
Pentax DSLRs don't have a built-in AF light (you can use the built-in flash to assist with focussing, though). If you use either the 360 or 540 flash, they will throw a (red?!) AF assist pattern on the scene which isn't as irritating as the the rapidly flashing built-in flash.

I cannot get used to wearing my glasses with the camera after much fiddling with the diopter etc.
I wear glasses too and wish I wouldn't when using the camera. But it apart from the fact that I often need to move a bit to scan the full viewfinder, it is OK. Just accept that your glasses will get a bit smudgy. I haven't caused any scratches.

Some work I did with the K10D.
Great stuff!

Mainly studio and around home with use of reflectors and flash.
Gorgeous!

If you like these colours, try a Nikon first before you buy it. I don't like the colour rendition of Nikons (too cool) and Canons (skin tones too flat). Pentax DSLRs have their weaknesses but colour is one of their strong points, AFAIC.
02-23-2009, 04:23 AM   #45
Pentaxian

on my course there are some 100 students moving through per yr... i'm the only one in two yrs to be using a pentax
Since when has the choice of the masses become a choice of quality?

something is telling me that 199 people (students) can't be wrong when they choose a canon or a nikon over a pentax.
Canon and Nikon have a much bigger market share and magazines are full of their adverts. The lemming principle works fine for these two big players. In many other areas most people go for the popular choice and neglect better quality choices or equipment that would better suit them individually.

there seems to be so much flack on this forum when you considering a move to another brand
I think this forum is pretty moderate. Many posters did a lot of research before making a choice and are passionate about sharing their reasons.

If you want to move to another brand, we'll all be happy for you. If you keep posting about it, instead of doing it and posting in a different forum, people will think you are still making up your mind and will try to help you make the decision they feel is better. I see nothing wrong in this.

i just want the best, the one most associated with professional photographers at this stage now (don't know why apart from the fact they are in 99% percent of photography magazines and the leap in pixels).
Have you seen the images by forum member benjikan? He is using a K20D for fashion photography big time. Forum member Marc Langrille (also a professional) wrote a comparison Pentax vs Canon for wildlife shooting. Guess which system he preferred?

There are a number of professional photographers using Pentax. They may not get as much publicity as the majority of magazines are practically owned by Canon and Nikon with their advertising budgets but they surely deliver the good stuff in spades as well.