Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #61
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Emotive45, I have used many brands over the years and still use today different equipment for different tasks and assignments. You are of course free to use which ever equipment you like. Your concerns on how you appear to be perceived by others by what equipment you use, is again something for only you to decide on.

Being professional is about producing the images by whatever means, not just a one off now and again, but every time, every assignment, because that's what your there to do and more importantly that’s what you get paid for.

Therefore, equipment manufacturers aside for one moment, get the right equipment to suit your needs, both in terms of your style and workflow. To help in this selection process, try to find a Pro equipment shop, usually available in the major cities, which does equipment hire and then you try before you buy.

Good luck.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-15-2009 at 01:26 PM.
03-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emotive45 Quote
it's a real pity they can't bring out ONE gadget that does it all - a portable device for storage and viewing images from camera. i.e. 500GB storage to back up images in the field, takes all types of memory sticks doubling as a card reader AND allows viewing of images as you shoot. i'd be happy. get's tedious with all the different gadgets and at the rate technology is advancing these days it's a given that anything i buy is gonna be out dated in two yrs time anyway.
It's called a laptop computer. Tether your camera to the laptop, and there you go.
03-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emotive45 Quote
I advise you to Google the following:

Why shoot RAW?

Tonal range in RAW?

Why professionals shoot in RAW?

Get a larger stick in your camera and quit the JPEG stuff if you want to be professional. I doubt you wil look back either.
This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time! What is this "raw file" you speak of? I don't think anyone here has heard of it before.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
03-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Posing should be for the models, not the photographers.

Jason
Okay, now that's funny!

03-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
It's called a laptop computer. Tether your camera to the laptop, and there you go.
I saw someone in the strobist forum post this...tether it to one of those tiny netbooks strapped to your waist which then communicates via an 802.11n adapter to your laptop or desktop and drops the file into a file share.
It should work fine and it'll be expandable/configurable in the future as well. I'm trying to find an inexpensive $200 or less netbook w/ good battery life and 802.11n to try this
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Hmm interesting thread and thanks for posting it up Emotive. When the K20 came out the words that described the shutter sound centered around slighty quieter. I can sit on my front porch and anyone walking on the footpath 7m away can hear the K10 shutter clap and thats with cars going up and down the road! (yeah, i occassionaly like to practice panning of moving objects lol)

To be honest, the K10's slapper is anything but quiet so slightly wasn't enough to sway me to upgrade as the image quality on the K10 was and still is above and beyond my needs as a graphic artist/ hobbyist street photographer. Its kind of hard to take photos of people in their natural state of being when a camera shutter makes everyone in the room or immediate scene self-concious (like sitting in a bus or a train).

Heres to hoping Pentax come up with something a little more discreet in the future...i can't imagine with all their technical know how that it would be hard for them to match shutters with Nikon and the like.
03-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
Its kind of hard to take photos of people in their natural state of being when a camera shutter makes everyone in the room or immediate scene self-concious (like sitting in a bus or a train).
Get a P&S w/ an articulating screen and turn off the fake shutter sound...no noise at all...
03-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Get a P&S w/ an articulating screen and turn off the fake shutter sound...no noise at all...
Heh, sounds like a reasonable solution if you can show me a P&S that will take my Pentax wide angle lense collection....

Just caught up with the thread in the Rumours section....the Samsung NX is the camera Pentax could've made. Will have to wait till PMA to find out if they're using the k mount for sure. Im just hoping that Pentax will announce their own flavour like a digital MX or something....P&S body with a DSLR heart! Street shooters dream!

03-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
Heh, sounds like a reasonable solution if you can show me a P&S that will take my Pentax wide angle lense collection....
The Panasonic LX3 has a 28mm equiv lens. Unless you've got a DA*15, do you have anything wider? :-)

I'm hoping the Samsung NX support K mount lenses as well...
03-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Yeah that NX looks a ripper doesnt it! . My wides for street and landscapes are mostly pancake primes which is why id love to see that NX body rocking the k mount! If it does the 15* could definetly be worth pursuing... as would the rest of the limited pancakes!
03-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #71

I feel good when I hear the 'noise'. lol
03-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #72
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know I'm comming bit late to this debate, but I have to say I like the sound of K10D. Comming from K100D I thought it's going to be bit quieter but a grew to like it. What's wrong with it...
you frame, press the shutter release button, you hear the "ker-chuckle"...
you see the faces turn, you see them eying your silver ltd lens, you go back to shooting satisfied

BR