Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D v 20D / Shutter Sound

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the K10D and the K20D where shutter sound is concerned. About the only thing I do not like about my K10D is the noise which I discovered later I could not silence or switch off in user settings. Is the K20D the same noise wise? From reviews I can only see improvements in "visual" noise so far. The other difficulty has been not having live view and only aperture view as I am more short sighted in the left eye (used to view subject via aperture) and I felt that live view and larger image display after the image is taken could be used to verify I have a sharp image when shooting.

Also are there any other improvements in the way of uploading images to PC wirelessly?
Any improvements to Auto Focus and in what way? A link to a good review that covers all these topics would suffice.
Thanks in advance.

02-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi there, and welcome! Always nice to have another kiwi around!

I can't comment relative to the K10, as I don't have one, but when I upgraded from my K100 pretty much everything was better. That's not strictly a fair comparison, given that the K20 is much newer, and a more expensive camera, but that's how it is.

Yes, the mirror slap on the K20 was/is quieter than a K100. Can't compare to a K10 though. Liveview on the K20 has been of extremely limited use for me, I've mainly only used it when holding the camera overhead. It's important to note that when in liveview, it has to disable liveview, lower the mirror, focus, and then raise the mirror and reactivate liveview in order to autofocus. This translates to maybe a second of blackout of the LCD.

It's possible, depending on where in the country you are, that you might be able to meet up with someone and try a K20. Or, if you're in Auckland, I know of a couple of shops which have them on the shelves.

By the way, there is an ongoing thread many of the kiwi members post in, you might like to introduce yourself there:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/41021-kiwi-pentaxians-25.html
02-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D is quieter than a K100D?! NICE! I never really though my K10D was loud, but then I heard my daughters K100D and realized that mirror does slap pretty hard. If the K20D is noticiably quieter than that, then it is a big improvement.
02-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Well I cannot say about K10D but K200D mirror makes less noise than K20D. 20D = sharp *clang* type snappy sound. I preferred K200D mirror slap more.

02-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #5

K20D is a little quieter on the shutter sound, K10D shutter sound is same as regular SLR. There is no way to cancel that shutter sound in any SLR & DSLR because it's generated from the flip up mirror inside the camera. Life view on K20D is for "preview", you can't change anything like Aperture or Explore when using Live view. No DSLR has wireless upload, only P&S camera has bluetooth wireless upload feature. I don't think wireless will be on DSLR camera, because file are too big to transfer wirelessly. And the auto focus on K10D and K20D is about the same.
02-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
No DSLR has wireless upload, only P&S camera has bluetooth wireless upload feature. I don't think wireless will be on DSLR camera, because file are too big to transfer wirelessly. And the auto focus on K10D and K20D is about the same.
Come again?

Amazon.com: Canon WFT-E3A Wireless File Transmitter for EOS-40D: Camera & Photo
02-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #7

that's not built in. just add on grap

02-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I swear when I'm surrounded by Nikons... I stand out honest. Everyone hears it!
Within the first week of buying my camera I was extremely disappointed as I turn the noise off everything when I get it ... the cell phone vibrates and there's no beeps on the key pad... I just really think it is not a big ask to get a camera that doesn't make that god awful click noise. I remember looking through the set up and thinking please no no no...
having said all that my camera has produced some brilliant quality images and nothing less than anyone else is producing. The only improvement I'd want is some type of infra red with the focusing... i'm sure one of our lecturers demonstrated a shoot and think he was using a canon, but it emits a red dot that falls on the model and assists with focus in some way when lights are out in the studio etc? Or maybe that was his flash gun? Dunno.
02-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So without going through tons of reviews to delve into all slr cameras, there absolutely non on the planet with a wysiwyg display on the back? I thought the Nikon 300D had that feature. The awful thing is I can think I have done a whole shoot really sharp when reviewing my images, but when I get home and blow them up, 20% are sharp and it's always the bung images that are sharp not the good drop dead poses. Sods law.
I cannot get used to wearing my glasses with the camera after much fiddling with the diopter etc. Don't know where I'll go from here.
02-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

And? You said it wouldn't be seen because of the file sizes. What does that have to do with the feature being part of the grip or not?

One (or several) of the Sony models has LiveView that functions the way you want.
02-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emotive45 Quote
I just really think it is not a big ask to get a camera that doesn't make that god awful click noise
Err...you're sure you want a DSLR? It is physics because of a mechanical mechanism, so yes you asking too much...the sound is always going to be there.
Maybe you should look at a Panasonic G1 or Canon G10 instead? Electronic shutter and liveview, so no mirror so no noise...
02-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sony?

I should imagine RAW files would be slow to upload? Takes a minute or two as it is to put a 4GB cards worth onto my PC wired never mind wireless.

Nikon 300d
Exclusive Wireless Transmitter WT-4 (optional)

The WT-4 supports wired LAN (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX) and wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11b/g, 11a), and incorporates thumbnail mode as a new function. It realizes wireless connection of cameras with a PC, enabling thumbnail display of images taken with up to five of them and downloading of images selected. Also, by using Camera Control Pro 2 (optional), wireless remote view/control shooting is made possible with the D300’s Liveview function.

* For details, see “New accessory and software supporting the Nikon D3 and D300: Wireless Transmitter WT-4 and Camera Control Pro 2 Software”.

This in English means I can connect the camera wirelessly to bridge or some similar program (Nikon Software) and view the thumbnails and download up to five of them to my PC?
02-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Panasonic G1 or Canon G10 - I can be as creative with either of those models as I can a professional DSLR camera can I? I will be taken seriously as a wedding photographer will I? On course it is specified we must use a professional standard DSLR.

Do you own a K20D? Have you heard the noise on a K10D? Can I have the opinion of someone that has owned both of those models only please? Preferably someone who has heard a Nikon or Canon DSLR in action. It seems there are some noise differences between the different models of Pentax alone as outlined above
02-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Regarding the noise, having owned or held all, K100d, K10 and K20, I can confirm that K20 makes the least noise... And if I had to choose between the K100 and the K10 basing my-self on the shooter sound alone, i'll take the K100... K10 sounds weird... like if there is something loose in there...

That being said, Pentax is still rather disappointing in this matter... Having worked with both D200 and D300, the first thing one notices when using pro-oriented Nikons.... damn, that thing sounds sexy!!! Especially when you're gunning it... Any given Pentax sounds like a damn Kalashnikov in comparison...
02-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You know why I stand out in the crowd then...it's for all the wrong reasons by the looks. You sold me on the D300 already... i need to sound sexy even when i don't look sexy ok.