Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emotive45 Quote
Do you own a K20D? Have you heard the noise on a K10D?
I went from K10D to K20D. The K10D sounds more "solid" to me. The K20D sounds lighter. Honestly, all I hear when I take the photo is the beep and then a click because I'm focusing on the photo too much, so I'm probably a bad person to ask It's not that I don't hear well because I'm also a bit of an audiophile...it's that I don't pay attention to the noise that much while shooting.

I heard a Canon 1DmkIII at a meetup recently and the machine gun speed of 8fps sounds cool. And by no means is it quiet.

If you want no sound, find a non-SLR (meaning no mirror). And no, they won't take you seriously at a wedding. If you want them to take you more seriously, bring out the Hasselblad, which BTW, also makes a noise when the shutter is fired

02-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I heard a Canon 1DmkIII at a meetup recently and the machine gun speed of 8fps sounds cool. And by no means is it quiet.
Yeah, the 1 series aren't very stealthy. I thought my K20D was loud until I got the 1Ds II... the most quiet DSLR I've used is a friend's D100 followed by my 10D.
02-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Some work I did with the K10D.
Attached Images

02-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Mainly studio and around home with use of reflectors and flash.

Attached Images

02-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Some of last years work anyway.
Attached Images

02-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
emotive: here's some of my work but I'm a studio noob...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/51866-lone-pentaxi...on-meetup.html

Last edited by kenyee; 02-22-2009 at 06:54 PM.
02-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Panasonic G1 or Canon G10 - I can be as creative with either of those models as I can a professional DSLR camera can I?
Panasonic G1, yes - it takes interchangeable lenses, allowing the same flexibility as a DSLR, and has a reasonably large sensor, allowing decent performance at high ISO. The Canon G10 is a fine camera with plenty of manual controls - one of the best non-DSLR's on the market - but with a much small sensor and of course limited to the lens it comes with. So not nearly as flexible as the G1.

As for shutter noise, I don't have the K10D or K20D and can't compare. I can say the K200D is considerably quieter than the K100D, though.

Between talking about wanting to "turn off" the noise, though, and referring to expecting to see the image on the LCD (aka "liveview"), I get the sense you aren't very familair with what a DSLR is and how it works. The noise is not some electronically generated sound effect - it's the sound of a mirror the size of a quarter flipping up and down with levers and springs. This mirror is what redirects the light into the viewfinder, so the view there *is* WYSIWIG, as opposed to the viewfinder on a P&S camera which is not looking through the lens at all. But the fact that the mirror is redirecting the light away from the main sensor is why most DSLR's do not have "liveview" - and if they do, it's implemented in a far clunkier manner than P&S cameras that don't have a mirror to contend with. The whole point of a DSLR is to give you "liveview" in a viewfinder, but if that doesn't work for you due to vision issue, you are indeed probably better off not using a DSLR. The G1 may be your best bet.

02-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
This mirror is what redirects the light into the viewfinder, so the view there *is* WYSIWIG
Almost, but not quite; the viewfinder coverage falls a bit short of 100% on all the Pentax DSLRs. Minor nuisance, but it did cause me to include some stuff that I didn't expect a few times!
02-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Kenyee,
Nice work for a nube.
I like the shot of the woman at the window using available light. Did you use some type of snoot on camera to light the model or was it studio lighting that you used?

Have been shopping around for a portable lighting kit lately or trying to put myself one together to use on location. Been looking at the strobist site (blog) with interest.
02-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'd like larger sensor if anything and more pixels. Possibly gonna move in the way of Nikon by the sounds of it. D90 sounds good also but not sure about the physical size of the camera and whether it is similar to D300 in size etc.
02-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Mainly studio and around home with use of reflectors and flash.
Nice work and I like that B&W conversion...

But speaking of D300... I'm a mechanical designer... so the things I find sexy might appear pretty weird to most people... so please, don't pay attention... Stay with Pentax!!!

That being said and having compared the K20+DA*50-135 and the D300+80-200/2.8/VR during the same shoot... operation-wize, D300 was more appealing, but IQ and camera size... I give that to Pentax...
02-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Marc
I don't think too much about the mechanics of what is going on inside the camera though we have gone over it in theory a few times on course. But I do know that I would not want any restriction whatsoever in what I can do with my camera later down the track if I came to it. Been there and done that and there is nothing more frustrating that trying to achieve something a camera you have is not capable of. So I guess I will need to stick with the noise and choose the camera with the largest visual display on the back out of the two (Nikon & Pentax) as even that much would improve my viewing of the work during a shoot.
02-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The D90 is about the same size as the K10/K20, but a tiny bit larger. And if you are doing studio work, tether the camera to a laptop. A 14"-17" screen beats a 3" screen anyday.
02-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Within the first week of buying my camera I was extremely disappointed as I turn the noise off everything when I get it ... the cell phone vibrates and there's no beeps on the key pad... I just really think it is not a big ask to get a camera that doesn't make that god awful click noise.
You can make all the noise you want as long as you keep producing images like that.

I had an Olympus E20-n fixed-lens 5Mp DSLR that had an electronic false CRRRICK shutter sound that could be turned off. I have no idea what kind of shutter that camera had, and the Olympus website does not state it - but the sound was fake.

Your Pentax camera has a mechanical shutter - an electronically controlled, vertical run, focal plane shutter. Actual metal levers open and close the shutter blinds in front of the sensor to let the light strike the image surface for 1/444 of a second up to Bulb.

Your Pentax camera has a mirror that guides the image up through the viewfinder while you are foucsing and composing, and a pentaprism to correct and angle the image to your eye. The mirror must move up and back down just before the shutter opens and closes.

These are physical actions that make noise. They are not electronic fake noises. They can not be "shut off."

You can, I believe, turn off audible focus confirmation so there is no beep when the image is in focus.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-22-2009 at 07:40 PM.
02-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks alexeyga

mainly done in photoshop camera raw and convert to black and white with the hue/sat sliders as it gives more control over the tones in the image. i' love the hue/sat sliders.

has anyone tried cleaning their own ccd?

just I did a while ago and it was no big deal. would be on the verge of a nervous breakdown doing a nikon top of the range though. that baby would be sent away if it were me.

i have not used tethered yet. it was a case of tmi during the first two yrs of study and just take in the bare minimum, i may play around with tethered before i go back in a weeks time. it would be nice to have wireless to a note book display though.

with the k20D I've heard that the studio lights can be jacked straight into the camera w/o the need for a hot shoe adapter. is that true?