Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do you do creative multiplpe exposures?

I was playing with multiple exposures on my k20d. I took a picture of my dog had him move over a foot and did the second exposure. What I ended up with was 2 ghost dogs, they were at about 50% opacity. While it was a neat effect in itself how do you make them more solid.

I understand the reason he came out as ghost dog, it makes sense. But how do you work around it now?

02-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #2

I was thinking the same thing.
02-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Take two separate photos and mask-layer-merge them in photoshop

Seriously, I do not think the ca,era software has a algorythm to keep similar pixels the same while fully displaying deviating pixels in the second exposure at 100%. It's just similar to shooting multiple exposure's on film.
02-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You mean like this?

Photo by Joe McNally

A strobing you will go, a strobing you will go, hi-ho the derry-o a strobing you will go...

02-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Double exposure

Like most effects, there are several techniques to accomplish the same goal. Photoshop or multiple flash exposure will both certainly do the trick.

Here's another. Cokin makes a mask for their filter system. It is simply a black piece of plastic with a half-circle cut in it. In use, you would put the mask in the filter holder with one half of the image covered, take the picture, then move the mask to the other side and take the second exposure.

Which technique works best depends on the desired effect, budget, skill level and simple personal preference.
02-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
BPT
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone

QuoteOriginally posted by MJē Quote
Take two separate photos and mask-layer-merge them in photoshop
I will have to investigate this more, I use the Gimp so I will see what I can do with it

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
You mean like this?
A strobing you will go, a strobing you will go, hi-ho the derry-o a strobing you will go...
Yes something like that. I was trying to make my dog sit beside himself but the same idea. So this one was accomplished by using flash to isolate the subject?

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Here's another. Cokin makes a mask for their filter system. It is simply a black piece of plastic with a half-circle cut in it. In use, you would put the mask in the filter holder with one half of the image covered, take the picture, then move the mask to the other side and take the second exposure.
I wonder if I could pull this off with a piece of black construction paper
02-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a setting which will automatically reduce the exposure for each shot so all the overlayed shots provides the "correct" exposure.

It doesn't work miracles.
02-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You mean like this?

Nice and thank you.

02-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
Thank you everyone
Yes something like that. I was trying to make my dog sit beside himself but the same idea. So this one was accomplished by using flash to isolate the subject?
Yep. It is a double-exposure using 3 flashes on small 1'x2' softboxes. He put 2 flashes camera left that fired for the 1st exposure, and one camera right for the 2nd exposure. Since he had the softboxes in really close and on low power the light falls off very quickly so the 2 exposures don't overlap and "ghost" each other.
Senor McNally discusses the shot in The Moment It Clicks on page 104. Good book. It's like a pep talk + tutorial + coffee table book all rolled into one.
02-24-2009, 02:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I remember when I was really new to this forum, some guy posting some really cool shots of geese I think it was, landing in the water. Multiple exposures were taken show show the landing. It was really awesome because he got the water splashes to melt together perfectly, no overlapping as far as I could see. I still wonder what technique he used.
04-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
There is a setting which will automatically reduce the exposure for each shot so all the overlayed shots provides the "correct" exposure.

It doesn't work miracles.
Is this the standard setting ? Or burried in the menues, to apply ?

For the OP, here is another thread :
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=24542712&page=1
04-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's on the "Rec. Mode" menu, Sune. On the K20D it's the last item on the first page of that menu "Multi-exposure". Set the number of exposures from 2 to 9 and a checkbox for "Auto EV Adjustment" to do the compensation in-camera.
04-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It's on the "Rec. Mode" menu, Sune. On the K20D it's the last item on the first page of that menu "Multi-exposure". Set the number of exposures from 2 to 9 and a checkbox for "Auto EV Adjustment" to do the compensation in-camera.
Thanks.
(I had considered it several times, but hadn't found the answer.)
04-07-2009, 04:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

photoshop

Last edited by Buddha Jones; 04-07-2009 at 03:36 PM.
04-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Messing around with in camera multiple exposure: