Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Inactive Account

istD and AF400FTZ

I just picked up an istD as an entry level into digital era so that I can utilize my existing lenses from my Pentax 35mm. I have an AF400FTZ flash that I use with my ZX-5 and was wondering if anyone has had success in using this with an istD or any of the Pentax digital line. I haven't had time to make any real attempts yet but am hoping to have a chance to work with it this weekend. Any information or tips on this combination is much appreciated. I know the istD is not the top of the line but the price made it worth giving digital a try without a huge investment.

Thanks for the help.

02-24-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The *ist D supports TTL flashes, and the AF400FTZ is a TTL flash as far as I can tell -- so you should be fine! Note that later Pentax DSLRs do not support TTL flash, unlike the *ist D and *ist DS models.
02-24-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you should download a manual from one of the pentax sites, BUT

your flash will work in TTL mode, but without the following additional functions.

Red Eye reduction, wireless, high speed sync, multiple flash, slave functions, and contrast control sync mode.

P-TTL is not supported but I find the *istD works very well in TTL mode
02-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The AF400FTZ has a manual zoom head marked for different focal lengths, but these are for a film field of view. Setting the head to the next setting always worked well for me.

02-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the all of the help. I had hope dI would be able to use it TTL just from information I've come across. My first post in the forum and you've been very helpful.
02-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Lowell, everyone here is very helpful.
02-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The response to my first post has been great, I appreciate all of the replies and helpful information.
02-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jlm2664 Quote
I just picked up an istD as an entry level into digital era so that I can utilize my existing lenses from my Pentax 35mm. I have an AF400FTZ flash that I use with my ZX-5 and was wondering if anyone has had success in using this with an istD or any of the Pentax digital line. I haven't had time to make any real attempts yet but am hoping to have a chance to work with it this weekend. Any information or tips on this combination is much appreciated. I know the istD is not the top of the line but the price made it worth giving digital a try without a huge investment.

Thanks for the help.
I am affraid that you will need the AF500FTZ for TTL with the *istD. The 400 will work only on Auto.

Rui

02-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
I am affraid that you will need the AF500FTZ for TTL with the *istD. The 400 will work only on Auto.

Rui
not true according to my *istD manual
03-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
not true according to my *istD manual
I stand corrected. Confusion here

RuiC
02-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Has anyone managed to get the AF400FTZ to work satisfactorily with the *istD?

My pics are all over-exposed.

Late edit. I saw a note elsewhere about cleaning the hotshoe contacts. Mine were very grungy so I got a pencil eraser to them. That seems to have overcome the intermittent problem. Re the apparent over-exposure, I'd only looked at them on the rear screen , Then, not thinking about it, I tilted the camera a bit more and the over-exposure vanished and the image was good. It seems I was looking at the screen at too much off-axis.

I uploaded to the PC and all is good.

Gaaahhhh! This has been ongoing since I bought the camera a few years ago. At last it's sorted.

Last edited by p38arover; 02-09-2013 at 11:00 PM.