Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Looking for input on what to do about a new lens.

I just got a used tammy 17-50 from B&H for $369 USD. I would have sworn they sent me a brand new lens -- it's perfectly immaculate.

It's incredibly sharp, from corner-to-corner, at all focal lengths, and doesn't seem to have the underexposure issue I've heard about. My friend's 16-50 doesn't compare (and he's got a decent copy).

HOWEVER (...and we all know there's ALWAYS a "however"), it backfocuses quite a bit on my K10D. I went into the debug menu and adjusted it to correct it. It's the only current AF lens I have (I've been shuffling around lenses quite a bit recently). Oddly enough, the AF confirm for my Pentax-A 50/1.4 seems to work just as good as ever.

I've never really believed a lens could front-focus or back-focus (since all the AF functions are in the camera -- i.e., the body spins the motor until it thinks it's in focus, so any back-focus / front-focus issue would be a result of the body -- not the lens).

Right now, everything's fine -- but when I get my student loans paid off and start buying more AF lenses, am I going to regret going this route? Am I going to have to leave the camera in debug mode and shift back and fourth between AF adjustments?

Or am I right about the AF front-focus/back-focus being a in-camera issue? (I'm right... RIGHT?)

I've read everything I can about the K-Mount and SAFOX and everything -- so it seems like my body just needed to be calibrated. But if I should exchange the lens and try to get one that doesn't have this "problem" (again, that's if it's actually the lens's fault), then I'd like to know ASAP.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.