Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

I'M Maladjusted!

...well, that's just a minor personal problem. The bigger problem is that my new K20 is mal-adjusted. Specifically, all of the lens's that were really sharp on my K-10 are back and front focusing on my K-20. After about a week of testing and adjusting I have finally been able to adjust all of them except my DA 40 and my VL 125. Ironically, these were the sharpest lenses I had on my k-10! Adjustments range from -10 to + 7 over about 12 different lenses. But with the DA 40, -10 still leaves me with about 8 mm of front focus. MY biggest issue though is that I cannot figure out how to adjust the VL 125 since it is a manual focus lens. When the Green Focus light comes on the lens is easily 40 mmm front focused. If you try to set the focus adjustment, you do not have the option to adjust just the one lens. Your only choice is to ''adjust all''. The manual is just about useless, so that brings me to my question. Does anyone, who really knows how to do this, have any suggestions? Or, am I doomed to have to send this back to Pentax? I'm sure others would also appreciate any info knowledgeable people could spread about this subject as it isn't covered very well in the manual.

Thanks
Tony

02-24-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
Igilligan

You are describing my K20 exactly...

My lenses all were very sharp on my K100d... In fact my DA 40 was eyebleedingly sharp.
I have never been able to focus it on the K20d. -10 is not really close. My tamy 28-75 which was my favorite lens on the K100d... can either be set for the long or the wide end but never both.

I will eventually have to send the camera and lenses back to pentax... I know that, but I am having so much fun right now with the MF lenses that I just cant let it go yet. But I do need to do it before spring.
There is something wrong with the tolerances on some of these K20d's... ours is not the first I have heard about it. Lenses that are good on the K10 and K100 should be good or at least adjustable on the K20 IMHO.
02-24-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Quality Issue

For your both cases, it sounds like a quality issue of the K20D. An early user of the K20D reported that his K20 was extremely accurate in AF, although it yet front focused (always) under yellow light environment:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Improved AF Accuracy of the K20D (Under White Lights Only)

So, it may not be the design..

Btw, did you do your adjustments/mesurement under daylight? (or not?)

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
My lenses all were very sharp on my K100d... In fact my DA 40 was eyebleedingly sharp.
I have never been able to focus it on the K20d. -10 is not really close. My tamy 28-75 which was my favorite lens on the K100d... can either be set for the long or the wide end but never both.

I will eventually have to send the camera and lenses back to pentax... I know that, but I am having so much fun right now with the MF lenses that I just cant let it go yet. But I do need to do it before spring.
There is something wrong with the tolerances on some of these K20d's... ours is not the first I have heard about it. Lenses that are good on the K10 and K100 should be good or at least adjustable on the K20 IMHO.