Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

K200d owner Downgrade???

Hello all,

I have owned a K200d for around 10 months now and am loving it. My first DSLR. Before that was an ME Super. Anyway as much as I love my K200 I think I may have outgrown it already. Does anyone think going down to a K10 would benefit me? Are the manual controls enough to change bodies, or should I just love what I have and wait some years to upgrade to a K30 or some such thing? If I did downgrade I would probably buy a used body, and sell my K200 to come up with the $$$$$.

BTW, don't know why the K200 gets such a bad rap. Put some good glass on it and get outside and enjoy the weather sealing.

Thanks

~T

02-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #2

In what way do you feel you've outgrown it?

I'm still not entirely clear on why the second dial is prized so highly, but I've never had one to play with and have gotten very comfortable with the hold-and-rotate system on the K110d. Hopefully there will be a PMA announcement (or lack thereof) that'll make it clear whether it's time for me to find out on a K20d or the next model!
02-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
BPT
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The main benefit you would gain by going to the k10D is access to more controls via dials and switches rather then going into the menus. Otherwise they use the same sensor.

As someone who went from the K100D to the K20D I can say having more of the controls outside of the menus very nice. I particulary like being able to switch between AF-S and AF-C with a switch very quickly. I do miss the security of AA batteries however.

So in my opinion you wont be able to do much more with k10D then you could do with the K200D though some of the controls are nicer.
02-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #4

I prize the second dial so much that its absence is a deal breaker. After years of using distinct shutter speed and aperture controls on film bodies, I just can't bring myself to consider a single dial, simultaneous button press, one at a time setup. I fancy myself pretty quick with the controls, whether manual or aperture-priority with compensation on the front dial. I guess I just don't want to have to think about it. And I resent the camera manufacturers for making this a prosumer and up feature. In my mind, the two primary controls on any SLR should be shutter speed and aperture. The rest should be built around that.

02-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Voe
Veteran Member

If you shoot in RAW you can take advantage of the weaker anti-aliasing filter on the K10D, which provides an amazing pixel level resolution.
02-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah I suppose what I mean when I say "outgrown" is that I'm sick of diving through menus. The second dial would be nice , but its not that bad with only one. Are the settings forthe dials on a K10 user definable? And if they are can u set for each mode or does it stay the same through all modes. I use mostly Ap and manual modes, though with some newer glass id like to explore Sv mode. I think the K10 has another mode I'm interested in.

Also controls for metering, AF, and ISO on body would just makelife do much easier.

Does k10 have dedicated ISO dial/button?

Sorry for scrambled post brain is fryed.

~T
02-24-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. The dial functions are user defined and can be set up differently for each of the shooting modes.

2. ISO doesn't have a dedicated knob/wheel, but can be configured to be on one of the dials as long as you make sure the camera's software is updated. My camera came with V1.0 software on it, which didn't have this feature. After updating to the latest software available on the pentax website, I gained that as well as some other stuff.
02-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
2. ISO doesn't have a dedicated knob/wheel, but can be configured to be on one of the dials
On sort of a similar note - on my K200D I set the Sv to 1600 and told the camera to remember it. Now if I suddenly need 1600 I just turn the mode dial to Sv and I've got it. Not like a dedicated dial but a nice work around for me.
-TomK-

02-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I'm still not entirely clear on why the second dial is prized so highly, but I've never had one to play with and have gotten very comfortable with the hold-and-rotate system on the K110d.
I sometimes shoot with thick gloves in Av, and it would be much easier to change ISO with a dial than to go through menus--taking gloves off means freezing my fingers; no thanks. Since I don't have the extra dial, I tend to keep ISO on auto, when outdoors and in Av mode.
02-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Why not save up a little more and get a K20? Assuming that Pentax introduces it's successor at PMA, then the price of new ones will start dropping pretty soon; also, those who decide to upgrade their K20s to get the K30 (or whatever it'll be called) will flood the Marketplace with used K20s to sell, so you can get a really good deal that way.

I would say hang on a little bit longer and see what happens.

Heather
02-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Heather.
02-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10d has a 0.95 x [95%] compared to 0.85 x [96%] for the k200d. That said, I'd go after the k20d to get a better viewfinder and the dials.
02-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I decided for a K200D rather than a K20D and don't regret it. Why?

1) Price. I am not a professional photographer. Just a photo enthusiast. So price is an important factor.
2) Sensor size. All you need is 10MP. Some would say that 14MP gives you the possibility to crop a lot. Well, that defeats the purpose of practicing photographic skills, especially in composition (during the old film days, cropping was non-existent and composition was primordial). Others would say that with 14MP they can print larger size photos. Well, I don't really go for billboard size photos in my townhouse.
3) Dials. Most claim that the k20D's dials make shooting much more convenient. Agreed, but I almost only shoot in AV or MF mode and try to minimize changing ISO. So don't really need all those extra dials.
4) The other added benefits of the K20D I can live without. After all, during my film days, all I had to work with were aperture and speed dials. One roll of film meant using one ISO setting, unless you forced up the ISO in certain shots. No DR, no multiexposure etc..

IMHO, use the extra funds to buy as good a glass as you can afford.
02-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
From what i'm reading , im thinking i've got a good think going. I am only a hobby pentaxian so even a used K20 is out of the question. $300 wouldn't have killed me for a used K10, but I'm siding with vinceloc to just buy really nice glass.

Heather - That is definatley the safest choice for me. Since im no pro im in no rush to change bodies.

TomK - nifty little idea. When ISO 1600 is needed that is a great work around. Also just setting the camera's auto ISO range 100-400 really doesn't effect picture quality. One of the reasons I stayed with Pentax was because their high ISO is sharp and not smudgy like N***N or C***N

Thanks everyone for your input but looks like the K200 is here to stay.

Now whos got lens suggestions.....

~T
02-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Why not save up a little more and get a K20? Assuming that Pentax introduces it's successor at PMA, then the price of new ones will start dropping pretty soon; also, those who decide to upgrade their K20s to get the K30 (or whatever it'll be called) will flood the Marketplace with used K20s to sell, so you can get a really good deal that way.

I would say hang on a little bit longer and see what happens.

Heather
Actually, this is what I am doing..hanging on.
It just need sooooo much self control as I've had to pass up good K10D or K200D camera deals!
I hope this hanging on will end soon so my agony will also end!