Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #1

Does K100D/K110D have the same body as istD series?

Can someone confirm?

Thanks

02-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No, the body is slightly larger and redesigned, especially in the grip area.
02-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also, the *ist bodies were all different from each other in significant ways - in sheer size, in viewfinder size/quality, in LCD size, and in control layout (only the original D had the dual control wheels, for instance). The K100D/K110D is larger than any *ist body, but has the smaller viewfinder and larger LCD similar to the *istDL as opposed to the larger viwfinder but smaller LCD of the D or DS. You might want to check the fulls specs and pictures in the dpreview reviews if there are particular aspects of the design you're curious about.
02-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Banned

the istD was a completely independent body design. not repeated after or based on anything prior. however the istDS, DS2, DL and DL2 all shared the exact same body design and deminsions. the K series 110D, 100 and 100 super all share the same body design and demisnions as well but are unique to the K100 series and not shared with the istD series, or the rest of the K series: K10, 200, 20.

02-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the istD was a completely independent body design. not repeated after or based on anything prior. however the istDS, DS2, DL and DL2 all shared the exact same body design and deminsions.
I guess that depends on how you define "body". I consider the viewfinder and LCD to be part of that, and the DS and DL are definitely different in those respects at least.
02-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I guess that depends on how you define "body". I consider the viewfinder and LCD to be part of that, and the DS and DL are definitely different in those respects at least.
im not sure if that's what the OP meant. personally if I wanted to know any differences in viewfinder or LCD size or the like I would ask specifically about these things. I look at the body as just the shell in which all of these things are wrapped up in. and in asking such a question to me implies an interest in things such as differences in size, overall weight, shape, maybe material used, any distinct charactersitic of these things per a specific model. the LCD and veiwfinder sizes did not effect any of these things in regards to the body of the camera (you might argue weight, but they all weighed the same and had the same deminsions other than the DL for whatever reason weighing slightly less despite having the same 2.5 LCD as the DL2) with that understanding all of the istD series were the same not counting the istD istelf.

but again i suppose its how you define 'body'.
02-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for the info.
02-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

you might argue weight, but they all weighed the same and had the same deminsions other than the DL for whatever reason weighing slightly less despite having the same 2.5 LCD as the DL2)
The DL and DL2 both weigh less than the DS or DS2, presumably because of the viewfinder.

Anyhow, no big deal - I just wanted to make sure the OP was clear on this.

02-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The shades of black between the bodies are all different, but you may have to ask yourself - How much blacker can you get? and the answer is none... none more black.
02-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The DL and DL2 both weigh less than the DS or DS2, presumably because of the viewfinder.

Anyhow, no big deal - I just wanted to make sure the OP was clear on this.
not according to Bojidar. Pentax *ist-Series Digital Bodies

*ist DS - 125 x 92.5 x 66 - 505g
*ist DS 2 - 125 x 92.5 x 66 - 505g
*ist DL - 125 x 92.5 x 66 - 470g
*ist DL 2 - 125 x 92.5 x 66 - 505g

do you have any numbers to prove they weighed different? how could the viewfinder cause any noticeable difference in weight? we are talking about nothing more than viewfinder coverage not any physical changes to the viewfinder. I don't see how this could stand up because the DL2 had a viewfinder with 0.85 x [96%] and weighed 505g the same as the DS and DS2 yet both of those had viewfinders with 0.95 x [95%] so shouldn't the DL2 be lighter, to coincide with the DL's lighter weight do to having a viewfinder with 0.85 x [95%]? by the way they all have the same size 'M' type viewfinder piece that has been used for quite some time, and is still being used.

we are talking such marginal differences in nothing mare than magnification and overall coverage.

Last edited by séamuis; 02-26-2009 at 06:43 AM.
02-26-2009, 07:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Just a random thought here:

It's generally regarded that the K100D Super (by virtue of being the last) is the best in the 6.1 MP sensor series, but looking at the specs, the *ist DS2 seems better in several regards: true pentaprism viewfinder, 0.95 magnification instead of 0.85, TTL flash, 70 grams lighter...

Would you guys say it's true that the only things the K100DS really has going for it in comparison with the DS2 is the shake reduction + SDM and SDHC support?
02-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Would you guys say it's true that the only things the K100DS really has going for it in comparison with the DS2 is the shake reduction + SDM and SDHC support?
Shake reduction alone is worth more than anything else combined.
02-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
Shake reduction alone is worth more than anything else combined.
I can probably agree with that, but the thing is, the *ist bodies are getting to be worth a little less than dirt these days, and the one thing that annoys me with my K100D Super is the smallish viewfiender, sooo...
02-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

do you have any numbers to prove they weighed different? how could the viewfinder cause any noticeable difference in weight? we are talking about nothing more than viewfinder coverage not any physical changes to the viewfinder. I don't see how this could stand up because the DL2 had a viewfinder with 0.85 x [96%] and weighed 505g the same as the DS and DS2 yet both of those had viewfinders with 0.95 x [95%] so shouldn't the DL2 be lighter, to coincide with the DL's lighter weight do to having a viewfinder with 0.85 x [95%]? by the way they all have the same size 'M' type viewfinder piece that has been used for quite some time, and is still being used.

we are talking such marginal differences in nothing mare than magnification and overall coverage.
Pentaprism vs. pentamirror. Pentamirror has a lot of empty space where the pentaprism has a solid chunk of glass. That has to make a difference. At dpreview, DS/DS2 weighs 605g, while DL/DL2 weighs 565g, both with batteries.
02-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

do you have any numbers to prove they weighed different?
Prove? No. I was just going off the numbers in the dpreview spec sheets. I think it had the DL2 the same as the DL, which would make sense to me. Perhaps someone had a typo, but I don't know who. I'm inclined to think the above is wrong, though, because:

QuoteQuote:
how could the viewfinder cause any noticeable difference in weight? we are talking about nothing more than viewfinder coverage not any physical changes to the viewfinder.
Sure we are - a solid glass pentaprism versus a pentamirror that is, as far as I know, mostly hollow. All things equal, a camera with a pentaprism *should* be heavier than one with a pentamirror.

QuoteQuote:
No, pentaprism versus pentamirror is a signficant difference in design (and also appearance - the prism will be brighter).