Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Did I sound like "Woody Allen?"
No.... just woody.

Just kidding

You may find this hard to believe, but generally we over here can't tell between folks from Canada or USA.

04-03-2007, 04:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
What?

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
No.... just woody.

Just kidding

You may find this hard to believe, but generally we over here can't tell between folks from Canada or USA.
It's easy to tell the difference between an American and a Canadian. We are the ones that got our teeth knocked out from getting hit too often in the mouth with the "Hockey Puck"...

We usually smell like "Maple Syrup" mixed with "Molsons" Beer...

There is the difference in a nutshell...Oh yeah, and we say "Aye" after every three words...

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 04-03-2007 at 08:59 AM.
04-03-2007, 05:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

A couple of questions

Ben,
In the interview and on several posts you mention that Pentax files look better in print than on screen. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use different settings in Photoshop to duplicate what you see in print then return to your regular settings for printing. The whole issue of post processing for the net as opposed to print has got me stumped.

Loved the interview. On another issue you talk about the number of pixels that are really needed. A friend of mine is a young stage manager working out of NYC. She doesn't make a lot of money but the adventure is outstanding. This summer she will be touring with different groups working in Japan, China, Argentina, and Italy. Her photographic skills are good enough that some of the groups are now using her to shoot promo material and the performers are starting to ask for help with their portfolios. I gave her a Sony 707 P&S that works well but is cumbersome and slow. She shoots a lot at rehearsals and the shutter lag is a problem. Not being able to use a flash also makes the situation more difficult.

I would like to give her a better camera to use. She is capable of using manual lenses and I have a 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and the 18-55 kit lens I don't use. My question is would the K110D along with these lenses be good enough for this type of work, or will she need the SR that is on the K100D? Or, does she need the extra MP's of the K10D? Need less to say I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible but still get her the tools she needs to further her career.

If any of you out there have any thoughts on this, please jump in.

Thanks,

Last edited by regken; 04-03-2007 at 05:36 AM. Reason: wrong Sony model
04-03-2007, 05:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I'd vote for the k100 for the following reasons (of my own )
Low light, high iso is "easier" to use than the K10. Notice I didn't say better.
For portraiture/portfolio work I don't think you really need the extra 4 megapixels. Images at 8x10 are good enough w/ 6mp.
Cost
On the road, better jpgs, and less RAW time... At least that is the perception..
Antishake (still see no point in a k110).
No huge need for enviromental sealing (at least if this is mostly indoors)
Just my opinion.
Oh and apparently much easier to use manual (M and m49) lenses.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-03-2007 at 06:09 AM.
04-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good Enough?

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Ben,
In the interview and on several posts you mention that Pentax files look better in print than on screen. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use different settings in Photoshop to duplicate what you see in print then return to your regular settings for printing. The whole issue of post processing for the net as opposed to print has got me stumped.

Loved the interview. On another issue you talk about the number of pixels that are really needed. A friend of mine is a young stage manager working out of NYC. She doesn't make a lot of money but the adventure is outstanding. This summer she will be touring with different groups working in Japan, China, Argentina, and Italy. Her photographic skills are good enough that some of the groups are now using her to shoot promo material and the performers are starting to ask for help with their portfolios. I gave her a Sony 707 P&S that works well but is cumbersome and slow. She shoots a lot at rehearsals and the shutter lag is a problem. Not being able to use a flash also makes the situation more difficult.

I would like to give her a better camera to use. She is capable of using manual lenses and I have a 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and the 18-55 kit lens I don't use. My question is would the K110D along with these lenses be good enough for this type of work, or will she need the SR that is on the K100D? Or, does she need the extra MP's of the K10D? Need less to say I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible but still get her the tools she needs to further her career.

If any of you out there have any thoughts on this, please jump in.

Thanks,
Hello and very kind of you to offer your help to your friend. The K110D is all she would need to do portfolio work. I have an A3+ format portfolio and some of the images in it are still from my Canon 10D which as you know has 6.3 mega pixels. Your concern regarding "SR" is well founded, if she will be shooting in very dim light. I don't like on camera flash and would only suggest using it if she is ready to mix ambient light with it and using the flash as a balancing or fill light. I think therefore she may have to work in shutter priority and set her shutter speed around 1/15 to 1/30th of a second. The flash would keep the image sharp and the ambient light would give the image more depth, effectively giving her a double exposure. Why have I mentioned the above technique? To give the appearance of more apparent sharpness allowing her to work at very low shutter speeds without "SR". So, to answer your question "YES" unequivocally. "SR" would be nice, but heck, the K110 is just fine. If she needs to interpolate just make sure she up sizes in "Bicubic Smoother" in PS. If I could blow up a 6.3 mega pixel image to 1.2 x 0.80 meters that are being sold in galleries, so can she.

Here's a sample from the Canon 10D that is at Lumas Galleries printed at 1.2 x0.80 meters.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 05-04-2007 at 02:57 PM.
04-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
My question is would the K110D along with these lenses be good enough for this type of work, or will she need the SR that is on the K100D?
I just checked the price at B&H. The price difference between K100D and K110D after rebate is only $17!!!

And K110D has been discontinued and probably out of stock in most places. For $17, it's a no brainer to go with K100D!
04-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For Sure

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I just checked the price at B&H. The price difference between K100D and K110D after rebate is only $17!!!

And K110D has been discontinued and probably out of stock in most places. For $17, it's a no brainer to go with K100D!

I thought he already had the K110 and wanted to give it to her. Being that he is buying it, I agree, if it is only a $17 difference absolutely go for the K100...
04-03-2007, 11:39 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Congrats on the interviews so far Ben! I'll give the second one a listen at home, but it is good to associate your voice with your name now too

04-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Great interview Ben I can't wait for two and three. my admiration goes very deep to you, and I still only can dream for what you do. Of course I'm a realist and at this time in my life and at my age (looking at retirement) Maybe when I retire I'll be good enough to try my hand. Until then I can read and listen to one of the top photographers around and one that I am proud to call friend.
04-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All is Up...

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Great interview Ben I can't wait for two and three. my admiration goes very deep to you, and I still only can dream for what you do. Of course I'm a realist and at this time in my life and at my age (looking at retirement) Maybe when I retire I'll be good enough to try my hand. Until then I can read and listen to one of the top photographers around and one that I am proud to call friend.
Hi Dave;

All of the interviews are now up Parts 1 through 3...Enjoy.

Ben
Camera Waves

Last edited by benjikan; 04-05-2007 at 02:07 PM.
04-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

All of the interview is now up Parts 1 through 3...Enjoy.
Just finished listening to part 3. Excellent interview, Ben. Thank you for posting the links and for sharing your story and your insights with us.

Not too long ago (back in January perhaps?), here in the US there was a PBS documentary about National Geographic photographer Joel Sartore. Like Ben, he's a guy who loves what he's doing. But Sartore's average week or month could not be more unlike Kanarek's! Fascinating to see a different way to make a living as a photographer!

Will
04-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Will

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Just finished listening to part 3. Excellent interview, Ben. Thank you for posting the links and for sharing your story and your insights with us.

Not too long ago (back in January perhaps?), here in the US there was a PBS documentary about National Geographic photographer Joel Sartore. Like Ben, he's a guy who loves what he's doing. But Sartore's average week or month could not be more unlike Kanarek's! Fascinating to see a different way to make a living as a photographer!

Will
Thanks so much Will..If I can be of any help at all, please feel free to ask and that goes for everyone here at PF...

Good Night
Ben
04-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #28

It's easy to tell the difference between an American and a Canadian. We are the ones that got our teeth knocked out from getting hit too often in the mouth with the "Hockey Puck"...

We usually smell like "Maple Syrup" mixed with "Molsons" Beer...

There is the difference in a nutshell...Oh yeah, and we say "Aye" after every three words...

Ben
So you are from Minnesota, then?

We're kind of like South Canada.
04-04-2007, 02:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Toronto

QuoteOriginally posted by dxdgenert Quote
So you are from Minnesota, then?

We're kind of like South Canada.
Actually from Toronto "Blue Jays" country...
04-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Hi Ben I finally got to listen to all three Pod casts. Great interview, and I have learned so much more about the man behind the lens. I can't tell you how en-lighting the interview was. Congrats, and I sincerely mean that.