Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iceemn360 Quote
Haha ..... hmmm well

I did a reset under the set up menu and now the noise is as it should be (minimal!) so yay. perhaps that might help
Wow, I was about to chime in that me experience is the opposite of yours, but now I see the reset helped. What exactly was it that was causing the increased noise in the K20D shots? The only thing I've noticed is the extended dynamic range. In every other way, my K20D beats my K10D for noise, and especially at higher ISO.

02-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have compared some shots done with a D300 and a K10D this summer and actually shadow noise is worse on the D300. I was not that impressed by the D300 IQ. K20D shows similar results to the D300, probably the CMOS sensor?

One thing to keep in mind when doing comparisons is to make sure the expositions are exact. DxO noticed that Nikon tends to overstate its ISO rating while the Pentax is closer. That means ISO 1600 on the K20D can be actually ISO 1300 on the D300. If you look at the DxO website, the low-light performance is actually better on the K20D than the D300 but... the D300 has almost one more stop of dynamic range. And the K20D has more color depth...

Another thing is resolution. If you compare pixel for pixel the K20D will loose because it has smaller pixels. You should compare at same outpout size (ex 13x19 print).

In my (very) short experience with the D300 I don't think IQ is better over other cameras in this range. The best things about the D300 are the unmatched speed of operation all the other bell & whistle. But IMHO it is too much camera if you don't shoot sport. And too little if you like fast stabilized primes.