Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

using an aperture ring lens on the K100D Super

Hi,
one of the main reasons that i bought my k100d super was that i read i could use my old manual pentax lenses with an aperture ring on my new digital camera. I often perfer to switch everything to manual, and besides I'd hate to rebuy lenses that i more or less already have, only they're not auto. I have made sure that the option for using an aperture ring it selected to 'yes' in the custom settings menu, but when i put the old lens on the camera and set my metering mode to manual i don't get any meter reading sugesting a shutter speed for the aperture that i've chosen. this is when i use a lens without the A setting. i have successfully used an old lens that has an A setting as long as the A is selected and not an individual f stop. but my 50 mm lens is the one i want to use because it will open up to f 1.4, but it doesn't have an A setting.

do i have to buy myself a handheld light meter in order to use this lens?

02-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
set the function in the menu to Use Apature Ring

then you can meter by selecting DOF preview in manual mode, shoot wide open (only) in Av mode, or set the shutter speed to match the selected apature (manual mode) by pressing AE lock
02-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Set the Preview Method in the menu to Optical. Then hold the preview lever (OFF/ON/Preview). In the viewfinder, on the far right, it will tell you how many stops over or under your shutter will expose.

**EDIT** What Lowell said. The K100D is my daughters and I didn't know the AE-L button functioned like the Green Button on the higher ends.
02-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you so much. That makes complete sense!