Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20D shutter button feel

Every other Dslr I have used (Various Canons up to 40D, Sigma SD14, Nikon D90) have a "feel" of the shutter button moving halfway through it's travel to achieve focus/exposure, etc. and pushing further will take the picture. It is a small but very perceptible amount of movement in the shutter button.

On the K20D I notice no movement. Rather it feels like applying just the right amount of pressure will put the camera into it's auto focus routine, and then further pressing down (I can feel this movement) will make the camera fire.

If this is the nature of the camera, fine. But if not I want to consult with the store I bought it from.

What makes me wonder about this is the fact that according to ExifTool the camera already had 600+ shots on it according to the first picture I downloaded on my computer.

This has me wondering if I bought a "floor" model that was used for consumer demonstration.

I hope I am explaining this correctly.

02-26-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi

All cameras come with some (less then 1000) actuations due to testing purpose in factory.

It's normal
02-26-2009, 06:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
Well that that makes me feel a bit better about my "new" camera.

What about the shutter button travel?
02-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The "travel" you described, for me it's the regular normal one also for my k20d and also k200d

02-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #5

The very light "half press" has been discussed in another thread as a concern on the K200D. It appears to be the consensus that this is by design, and is the same for the K20D. I agree that it is very different from other Pentax cameras (my DS and PZ-1 for instance), but you will quickly get used to it.
02-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I have examined the button VERY closely and after several trials I can see movement.

While I now feel a bit foolish for not (at least visually) checking that I am a bit wiser about the mechanics.
02-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The K10D's shutted button has the same feel (or lack thereof, depending on your preference ). I found it weird at first, but I quickly got used to it, and it's 2nd nature now.

02-26-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
Inactive Account

When I first got my used K10D, I noticed the same thing and chalked it up to age.

Seeing that it's nearly the same on my new K20D, I guess that is by design.
02-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

"Light Touch" Shutter Release Button

Higher end models have the "light touch" button for faster reaction and better control and feel. That is, there is no clear border for the half pressed position to fire the shutter. Properly implemented "light touch" button has gradually increased resistent/reaction force, however, this is not for the case of the K20D. So, the feeling may not be as good. Tried the Pentax MZ-S or higher end Nikons and Canons and you will see the difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by Riktar Quote
Every other Dslr I have used (Various Canons up to 40D, Sigma SD14, Nikon D90) have a "feel" of the shutter button moving halfway through it's travel to achieve focus/exposure, etc. and pushing further will take the picture. It is a small but very perceptible amount of movement in the shutter button.

On the K20D I notice no movement. Rather it feels like applying just the right amount of pressure will put the camera into it's auto focus routine, and then further pressing down (I can feel this movement) will make the camera fire.

If this is the nature of the camera, fine. But if not I want to consult with the store I bought it from.

What makes me wonder about this is the fact that according to ExifTool the camera already had 600+ shots on it according to the first picture I downloaded on my computer.

This has me wondering if I bought a "floor" model that was used for consumer demonstration.

02-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Higher end models have the "light touch" button for faster reaction and better control and feel. That is, there is no clear border for the half pressed position to fire the shutter. Properly implemented "light touch" button has gradually increased resistent/reaction force, however, this is not for the case of the K20D. So, the feeling may not be as good. Tried the Pentax MZ-S or higher end Nikons and Canons and you will see the difference.
And compared to my motorized LX the travel on the K20 button is looong! The LX with motor is as nervous as race horse three seconds before the barrier goes down...

Ben
02-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That's what I felt too when I first got my K20D.
Coming from K100D, I thought my K20D was broken too...hehehe...
Until I realized that whenever I put my finger on the shutter, the camera AF is already focusing.
02-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Never had any issues with my shutter button. I actually prefer a lighter touch, so that it doesn't introduce camera shake. Right now, I have AF only with the AF button, so I just keep my trigger finger half-pressed on the shutter when I'm anticipating a shot.
02-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've become so used to it, it almost feels weird to use any other style of shutter release button.

Last edited by ftpaddict; 02-26-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: release button!
02-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As the “light” touch button looks like it started with the introduction of weather sealing it is probably related to having to use a weather sealed button.

I to like the light feel and don’t like going back. I have put my K20D on green and handed it t someone who has never used this kind of camera before. I just tell them to point, tell them about the light button, tell them to lightly push till the display lights up (it then starts AF) and push when the camera beeps. I have not had anyone not get it right the first time.

DAZ
02-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riktar Quote

The Pentax ShutterCount always indicates that a number of shots have taken when the camera is new. It is not clear whether these shots are "real" test shots, or maybe there is an arbitrary offset in the stored shutter count value. Usually this offset is in the neighbourhood of 100 shots or less, but I have seen up to a few hundred for some cameras. I haven't seen one as high as 600 until now, but it does sound within the realm of possibility.

- Phil