Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 07:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Km Pentax

Ok here's the thing. I am thinking of buying the K20 (think that is right) body. I have the 1stD. BUT, and don't shoot me, someone has offered me a good price on a second hand cannon 20D? (from memory). I am told it is sharper and more superior to the Pentax, and more professional. It makes sense to me to get the Pentax as I then have many lenses to play with. Can you give me some arguments I can use for the pentax

02-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
Ok here's the thing. I am thinking of buying the K20 (think that is right) body. I have the 1stD. BUT, and don't shoot me, someone has offered me a good price on a second hand cannon 20D? (from memory). I am told it is sharper and more superior to the Pentax, and more professional. It makes sense to me to get the Pentax as I then have many lenses to play with. Can you give me some arguments I can use for the pentax
You say Km in the subject, but K20 here...?

The 20D is a very old camera, very good for its age, but not really any more "professional" than the K20D. It has better continuous shooting than K20D (except when shooting RAW, where the 20D buffer quickly gets full), it has 1/8000 shutter time, but otherwise, the K20D is more "professional" in several ways, it e.g. has weather sealings. The 20D really shows its age when you look at its tiny, tiny LCD screen.
02-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
Damn, I wish cameras were like cars and just had names not numbers. Now the cannon was definately a 20D, but messed up my notes on Pentax. Could be KM. Will check today and revisit. It is a new model if that helps?
02-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Damn, I wish cameras were like cars and just had names not numbers. Now the cannon was definately a 20D, but messed up my notes on Pentax. Could be KM. Will check today and revisit. It is a new model if that helps?
The K-m is a newer model than the 20D, so then the comment about "professional" makes sense. The choice then gets a bit more difficult, since the 20D is pretty good for a more than 4 year old camera.

Personally, I'd chosen the more modern and lightweight K-m, but I think I'll pass the question on to someone with real experience with both cameras!

02-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The question is easy to answer:

Do you prefer an old, technically outdated body over a more modern one? If so, buy the 20D. It might have bee the pro's choice a couple of years ago, but you could easily buy a Kodac DCS 14N, which has even more professional specs and is even more outdated.

As it is unclear, whether you want a K20 or a K-m, it is somewhat hard to describe the alternative. But the K20 is in all respects a superior choice to the 20D and you can add the battery grip, thus reaching the desired professional weight and bulk.

The K-m is a small, lightweight gem, which can easily be carried around for unobtrusive photography. It is simply so different from the 20D, that you cannot compare it.

You should inform yourself what you really need in terms of "professionalsm", so you can make an educated decision. And don't forget, that the most important part are the lenses anyway. So a pro-spec body without the pro-spec lenses is pointless, take that into your accounting.

Ben
02-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Try to see if you can get a hold on both cameras. What feels better in your hands? take a few pics as well and see what you think about the output. And take some consideration as to what lens is on. Current professionals camera of choise would probably not be either the Canon or the Pentax in question, but then I've used a hobbyist Canon 300D to shoot for local newspapers. And that is professional work if anything is. So don't let your insecurity whether one is better then another fool you. It's the photographer that makes the camera and not the other way around.
02-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #7

I happen to come cross this post, and I happen to own both Canon 20D and km. Comparing 20D to km isn't exactly fair because they are targeting different market segments. Anyway, what I find are:

20D pro: better construction. lower noise at ISO800 (truly amazing for a 4 year old camera). faster shooting speed (5fps). better AF (9 selectable AF points and 5 of which are usable, faster AF speed). easy to switch AF point using multi-controller (I did a lot of AF point switches for composition).

20D con: big and heavy - this is what you pay for "pro" feeling (honestly, 20D isn't exactly a pro DSLR at all). 50k shutter life (mine is about 40k now). small LCD (1.8"). shutter button failed for me (half press is broken, however the shutter is ok. so I am using AE lock button to do AF now).

km pro: compatible with FA 31 and FA77 (one of the two major reasons I jump into the pentax world), small and light (the other reason). big bright vivid LCD. one click to enlarge reviewed photo (very handy little function).

k20d is superior than canon 20d in almost every aspect, except several problems: slow AF and slow continuous shooting speed in RAW mode. I do not know about high-ISO performance since they differ so much (14MP vs 8MP).
02-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks all, especially terminator. Now can clarify, it is the KM that I am looking at (and the 20D) Not sure of some of the abreviations AF FA etc. I am shooting in raw so would be interested in how that compares. I do have all my lenses for the Pentax so that is a plus. So any more advice would be much appreciated. I will be doing weddings, portraits, and for fun birds. So would like to know how it compares for continuous shooting for the latter. cheers

02-27-2009, 01:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by terminator Quote
k20d is superior than canon 20d in almost every aspect, except several problems: slow AF and slow continuous shooting speed in RAW mode.
But the C 20d has a smaller buffer, hasn't it? So I would think that while the C 20d shoots faster, the K20d allows for longer continuous bursts (let's see... it's 14 frames vs. 6, according to dpreview tests).
02-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #10

Yeap, that is a advantage of K20D I think. I like longer continuous burst actually.

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
But the C 20d has a smaller buffer, hasn't it? So I would think that while the C 20d shoots faster, the K20d allows for longer continuous bursts (let's see... it's 14 frames vs. 6, according to dpreview tests).
02-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #11

AF: auto-focus

FA 77/FA 31: pentax limited lens FA 77mm f/1.8 limited and FA 31mm f/1.8 limited

BTW, I only shoot raw. So my comparison of noise level at high ISO is based on raw files.

Thanks all, especially terminator. Now can clarify, it is the KM that I am looking at (and the 20D) Not sure of some of the abreviations AF FA etc. I am shooting in raw so would be interested in how that compares. I do have all my lenses for the Pentax so that is a plus. So any more advice would be much appreciated. I will be doing weddings, portraits, and for fun birds. So would like to know how it compares for continuous shooting for the latter. cheers