Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They didn't happen to be > 16MB, did they? There was a bug in ACR which has been repeated in Apple's RAW converter which makes it impossible to convert very large PEFs. From the K10D, that is, but it might also apply to the 10mp cameras since the files probably are similar. I had a few of those last summer when I was shooting granite landscapes by the see. The fine structure of the rocks apparently made the RAWs difficult to compress, so they got very large. They would not display in iPhoto or Preview, so I simply converted them with PPL.

03-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
Site Supporter

The bad one is 8.5MB, the good one is 11.3.
03-02-2009, 01:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Did you shoot the bad raw files in continous mode?
On the weekend I did a quick SD card speed test and couldn't open any of the raw files shot in continous drive mode. Raw files shot in single drive mode before and after the test were ok. Strange

Ps: I use Raw therapee and DigiCam in OpenSuse linux.
03-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Which card/speedc did you use?

I didn't have any problems yesterday, but I noticed a significant difference in transfer rate of raw + JPEG between a Sandisk Extreme III and my backup Ultra II.

I cannot imagine, though, that the camera would get confused by a slower card - the transfer protocol should prevent the sender from overrunning the receiver's ability to accept the data.

03-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Did you shoot the bad raw files in continous mode?
On the weekend I did a quick SD card speed test and couldn't open any of the raw files shot in continous drive mode. Raw files shot in single drive mode before and after the test were ok. Strange

Ps: I use Raw therapee and DigiCam in OpenSuse linux.
I didn't take the photos, and I don't know what part of the exif shows which mode it is in.

I tried to get raw therapee but all I found were binaries. I'll have time to look for source later on.
When you say that you use DigiCam, do you mean DigiKam? If not, do you have a link to the source?

Last edited by Aegon; 03-02-2009 at 08:46 AM.
03-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #21

Simico, the files I sent to Aegon were both shot with autofocus mode = Automatic:Single AF according to info reported by Pentax Photo Browser.

Glanglois, the memory card is a SanDisk SDHC 4 GB card. I don't know how to determine the speed of the card.
03-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
When you say that you use DigiCam, do you mean DigiKam? If not, do you have a link to the source?
Yep, it's DigiKam... or better yet the "KDE ShowPhoto" application (which seems to be DigiKam with a slightly modified UI for raw/image manipulation). I discovered it by accidentally clicking on a pef file in konqueror, this app opened the raw file after automatically applying exposure, sharpening and noise reduction

Yesterday evening I ran into a "bad" pef file again. It was shot in single drive mode, so drive mode doesn't seem to be the problem here (all the "bad" pef files shot in continous mode seem to be just coincidence). None of the apps I have (raw therapee, ufraw, rawstudio, digikam/showphoto) could open the file. I was curious, so I installed pentax photo lab and ... tadaaaa! it could open the file and convert it to jpeg! Although I have to mention that the pef file in photo lab and the resulting jpg both looked quite horrible - either because it was an underexposed high iso shot or maybe the pef really was damaged.

Here's my newest theory : what seems to be common in all of my "bad" pef files is that all of them are underexposed shots at iso 1000-1600. Unfortunately I deleted the "bad" files shot at the weekend, so I can't test whether pentax photo lab would open and convert them or not. I'll do some tests later. If the pentax app will be able to open all the "bad" files then we probably have some raw incompatibility issue with our third party applications (afaik almost all of the linux raw development apps use dcraw to decode raw files, so if dcraw is not 100% compatible with K-m raw files then it's no wonder none of the linux apps can open the "bad" files). I'll also do some tests with dng files (raw file type set to dng in menu) and try the "bad" files in Lightroom, Silkypix and other windows apps. To avoid any future surprises, I'll shoot all important things with "raw+jpeg" setting.

Herndon, maybe you (or one of your friends) could try to install pentax photo lab and see if that can open your bad files. If yes, then I'm 90% sure it's an incompatibility issue.

Last edited by simico; 03-03-2009 at 01:28 AM.
03-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Which card/speedc did you use?
Sandisk extreme III and Kingston elit pro. "Bad" raw files happened with both cards, so I'm sure it's not a card speed (or card failure) issue.
03-03-2009, 05:26 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
I shoot all my photos in single shot mode. The size of the images were all pretty much average as far as I can tell (below 10mb I think) and I am using Sandisk Extreme III 4GB memory (class 6).

My faulty PEFs are not underexposed or bad in any way. If I convert them to JPEG on the camera the results look good. Same if I convert them to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter and then to JPEG with PS.
03-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A thought

I just got the K2000 White kit, and the first picture of my first 4 posted the maroon screen with the message of an unsupported format. The other three were fine. The "bad" file opened fine in Graphic Converter.

I noticed, though, that the "Bad" file was 9.6 MB and the other three were in the 11.5-13 MB range. I wonder if that file is missing a chunk of data? I noticed the bad file in this thread is smaller than the others. Could that be a clue?
03-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #26

Lawsonstone, congrats on your new K2000 white kit! It sounds like you are using Aperture on OS X. Is that correct?

Anyway, I've been having this problem for a while., but can't isolate it. I just checked some recent RAW files. There are some good ones and some bad ones in the general 9 MB range. I also found some bad ones in the 14 MB range.

I took a handful of shots today. There were no bad files in the batch. That surprised me since that's one of the very few times that's happened.
03-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if it's a problem with how the camera writes to the card?
03-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #28
Veteran Member

In my case it turned out to be a compatibility issue with dcraw engine (under linux). All the "bad" files open fine in pentax photo lab or in adobe lightroom, the camera itself can also convert these to jpeg. K-m is not on dcraw's supported camera list, so that might explain why it can't read some files.
03-07-2009, 06:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Brilliant, it looks like the forum software shrunk the image enough to make it entirely illegible.

use a third party photo uploader? :ugh:
03-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simico - What version of dcraw are you using? The latest is v8.86, I believe. The list of UFRAW supported cameras shows the Pentax K-m being supported for DNG format:

UFRaw - Supported Cameras

UFRaw uses dcraw under the covers. Try saving your images in DNG format.

Jack