Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Everything over 1600 is pushed.

02-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Everything over 1600 is pushed.
What are ISO 200 to 1600 then? My understanding is that everything above the base ISO is brightened by increasing the sensitivity of the sensor. In a sense pushing the sensor for more light. So are you saying that ISO 3200 is actually taken at ISO 1600 and brightened a stop after the photo is taken? Wouldn't that be labeled on the spec sheet as an "expanded ISO" which the K100D is not labeled as?

Just trying to figure this out...
02-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The K100D has a low ISO of 200, so the sensor is doubling up to 1600, at which point the firmware does it to 3200.
02-28-2009, 12:35 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The K100D has a low ISO of 200, so the sensor is doubling up to 1600, at which point the firmware does it to 3200.
You just blew my mind with that knowledge

sooooo you are saying 200 is 100, 300 is 200 and so on? Aren't all ISOs other than the base pushed?

It doesn't really matter but I'm an inquiring mind (great show btw)

02-28-2009, 03:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghost Quote
forgive me for thinking out loud, but isn't any ISO above 100 (or 200) being pushed using the firmware? The ISO from 200-1600 isn't mechanically changed, so what is different from ISO 3200? Sorry for my confusion ...
200-1600 is the true ISO range of the sensor. This means that in that range, the analog signal is amplified by the sensor electronics before it reaches the firmware. The difference in 3200 is that the sensor is set to amplify the signal to 1600, and then the firmware essentially just doubles all the bit values, i.e. a digital operation. Doubling the digital values of 1600 picture data means there is no more real information in a 3200 file than in a 1600 file. This is also why Nikon cameras call the highest ISOs silly things like Hi1 and Hi2; to further hammer in the point that these are just tricks pulled by the camera.
02-28-2009, 03:49 AM   #21

I could say something smart like the firmware needs to tell the sensor what sensitivity to be set at before the sensor does anything but...

Your drrunk. yer all drumk. I need sleep
02-28-2009, 05:24 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Yet, I need one more DSLR to "complete" my lineup, and ironically I chose a much different path, low resolution/high ISO performance. I ended up snagging a Pentax K100d Super for $229.00 body only, basically brand new in the box (box opened demo).
Carl,

Congrats. Nice snag.

A little advice if I may?

Background: I managed to pull off a very similar purchase for a K10D recently. Mine was sold as a "Factory Demo" by a reputable eBay dealer who is an authorized Pentax dealer.

The advice: Despite your intention that it "not see much action," you should take it out and really give all the functions a thorough run for their money.

Why: I sat on mine for a little while past the time for returning it to the vendor. I took a couple of casual photos with it and noticed nothing amiss. I shoved it in a case and waited a while until I had time to pack up my other K10D and send it in for some minor adjustment and cleaning.

I finally got round to using the demo body seriously... I went out and started shooting auto-brackets and found a very serious issue and had to do the Pentax support thing. All's well that end's well, as Pentax stood behind their camera and apparently did a very nice job fixing the issue.

I am not throwing water on your purchase... at least I am not trying to. But seriously, you should take it out and get thoroughly familiar with it if you can anyway. Make sure that everything is in order.

I am sure it is in good order. Nice buy indeed, and good choice for the intended niche. Use it in good health!

woof!

02-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You can be sure I will, and thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Carl,

Congrats. Nice snag.

A little advice if I may?

Background: I managed to pull off a very similar purchase for a K10D recently. Mine was sold as a "Factory Demo" by a reputable eBay dealer who is an authorized Pentax dealer.

The advice: Despite your intention that it "not see much action," you should take it out and really give all the functions a thorough run for their money.

Why: I sat on mine for a little while past the time for returning it to the vendor. I took a couple of casual photos with it and noticed nothing amiss. I shoved it in a case and waited a while until I had time to pack up my other K10D and send it in for some minor adjustment and cleaning.

I finally got round to using the demo body seriously... I went out and started shooting auto-brackets and found a very serious issue and had to do the Pentax support thing. All's well that end's well, as Pentax stood behind their camera and apparently did a very nice job fixing the issue.

I am not throwing water on your purchase... at least I am not trying to. But seriously, you should take it out and get thoroughly familiar with it if you can anyway. Make sure that everything is in order.

I am sure it is in good order. Nice buy indeed, and good choice for the intended niche. Use it in good health!

woof!
Indeed I will run it through its paces and get to know it. My routine with a new camera is to use it and only it for quite some time until I know it like the back of my hand.

My comments were future based, that eventually I think that it will be used as a niche camera.

I used to think that I should only use one camera, and the thought of using more than one was actually quite stressful (oh no have to remember this about this one and remember that about that one etc...), yet I am to the point not that I can pick up any of my cameras and within about 3 min or so feel like I never put it down. It's just like riding a bike really, you don't forget.

Anywho all this talk about it is making me ancy, and I'm looking forward to using it quite a bit!

Anyone know of any good nimh rechargable combo deal packs out there? (batteries and charger both included).

Carl
02-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Regarding batteries -- get Eneloops. Trust me on this. No other NiMH is even close.
02-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #25
pdo

I'm just wondering why do you need a couple of bodies in different mount for.
02-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pdo Quote
I'm just wondering why do you need a couple of bodies in different mount for.
The possibility of using different lenses without sacrificing usability?
02-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Try these guys - :Rechargeable Batteries Battery Chargers Rechargeable Lithium Digital Camera Batteries Maha Ansmann Energizer Sanyo ZTS for batteries and chargers.

Check here for which battery: Digital Imaging Accessories Review: The Great Battery Shootout

I myself have NiMh rechargeables but somehow they might not be putting out the right voltage as my K200d just sees them as low in charge but they work great on my AF360. I might get the LaCrosse charger (BC-900) as it's able to charge one battery at a time...

I can't find the link I had for a review on the BC-900 but I'm sure if you google it for reviews you'll find it.

Amazon also sells the BC-900
02-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Regarding batteries -- get Eneloops. Trust me on this. No other NiMH is even close.
thats right, My 4 eneloops are true workhorses. when fully charged, they did awesome job. I took about 300pics in a rehearsal of a concert and then filled a 4gb SD card(about 800 pics) in the second day after, and the battery indicator showed those little champs are still full
02-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I've realized that the battery charger is far more important than the batteries. Get an awesome charger (Maha/Powerex or La Crosse models) and your "mediocre" batteries perform superbly. I've had a dozen different kinds of NiMH batteries from cheapos to high end uber whiz bang models and I'm now using the cheap ones. Can't tell any diff from the high end expensive ones in my strobist work and I'm saving a lot of money too.
02-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice all of you

for the batteries and charger etc...

Looks like eneloops with a really good charger should be the trick.

Carl