Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K20D with Lemon DA* 50-135?

As many of you know I recently got a new K20D and Love it!

A few hours ago I received my New Pentax DA*50-135. I excitedly put it on and almost immediately it froze or had difficulty leaving the 1-1.3M focal range... even getting stuck completely at 1m and refusing to move at all. A few adjustments with the MF and AF on BOTH the camera body and the Lens and the lens started doing what it should have...focus! After a few hours at the airport and some 20 photos or so later The lens again refuses to focus and freezes or moves incredibly slowly if at all. Unlike some other posts I am definitely not in a cold location and pretty much at average room temp.

None the less.... after letting the lens have time to "cool off" like 5 minutes it started to work beautifully

Not sure why this amazing lens would act up like this. The images are Great!!! The color and sharpness are just beautiful and this lens definitely is incredible....just wish it would focus when I want it to!..... any ideas?

UPDATE 2/27/09

After taking this lens out and about today I kind of feel bad for referring to this particular one as a lemon. It didnt get fussy today and it took some great photos. But I would still be interested in knowing if this is a common problem. So far I have only seen similar issues mentioned only a handful of times with no clear solutions.

Last edited by iceemn360; 02-27-2009 at 10:52 PM.
02-27-2009, 01:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iceemn360 Quote

A few hours ago I received my New Pentax DA*50-135. I excitedly put it on and almost immediately it froze or had difficulty leaving the 1-1.3M focal range... even getting stuck completely at 1m and refusing to move at all. A few adjustments with the MF and AF on BOTH the camera body and the Lens and the lens started doing what it should have...focus! After a few hours at the airport and some 20 photos or so later The lens again refuses to focus and freezes or moves incredibly slowly if at all. Unlike some other posts I am definitely not in a cold location and pretty much at average room temp.

None the less.... after letting the lens have time to "cool off" like 5 minutes it started to work beautifully

Not sure why this amazing lens would act up like this. The images are Great!!! The color and sharpness are just beautiful and this lens definitely is incredible....just wish it would focus when I want it to!..... any ideas?
It's strange....Do you have a battery-pack?
02-27-2009, 02:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no battery grip. the images are just wonderful. im giving it a few more days of trial and error before i consider returning it for another one.
02-27-2009, 03:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
just read some other posts about the SDM AF failing periodically for other users..... the contacts on this K20d definitely are not dirty

02-27-2009, 05:20 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Try it without the grip. You have an intermittent contact somewhere, and the contacts are the most likely problem. Make sure all of them are clean, even if it is new. BTW, it is a stunning lens. I love mine.
02-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

SDM failure again?

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: SDM Reliability Issue

02-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
julianactive

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Dude, get a life.
02-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have had a few issues with lenses no focusing sometimes but It was simply because I was using the grip in and had it turned to off so obviously it wouldn't respond.

I'd send the lens in to get it checked out. Only thing is they're not very quick... I've been waiting 3 weeks for pentax to fix my flash, they took the money straight away and are now saying it's going to be at least another week because they're waiting for a part....

02-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no issues today. it worked beautifully. perhaps it just needs to be "broken in" before the SDM gets comfy..
02-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

DA 17-70 SDM's AF does not work if I turn my K200D on with the switch set to MF. It works fine, if I turn it on with the switch set to AF. Later I can set it to MF and it works fine, but I do need to boot up the K200D in AF mode. Strange but true.
02-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
Inactive Account

sharpest lens i've ever owned. anyone know about lens adaptor for takumar lens?
02-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you mean an adapter to use M42 lenses on the new DSLRs? Go to the Pentax webstore, and buy a genuine Pentax adapter. It is the best way to go...I believe with shipping, mine cost about $35. Best money I have spent in a while Link-----> http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/detail/PTX+30120
02-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahh now here are some photos of the DA* 50-135 doing exactly what I want!

Last edited by iceemn360; 02-27-2009 at 10:44 PM.
02-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter

WoooOOOOOOOOOooooowwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-27-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
WoooOOOOOOOOOooooowwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol I guess perhaps lemon isnt quite the best way to describe this lens.... perhaps finicky or tempermental. Its like a relationship with this lens!