Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Re: Data for user score

Hi,
the data is found under each camera on the DP Review site. It is based on user feedback of each camera. Please find the links to the scoring for each camera.

Pentax K20D:
Owners Opinions: Pentax K20D: Digital Photography Review

Pentax K10D:
Owners Opinions: Pentax K10D: Digital Photography Review

Canon 50D:
Owners Opinions: Canon EOS 50D: Digital Photography Review

Canon 40D:
Owners Opinions: Canon EOS 40D: Digital Photography Review

Nikon D80:
Owners Opinions: Nikon D80: Digital Photography Review

Nikon D300:
Owners Opinions: Nikon D300: Digital Photography Review

You can also find score for all other DSLRs, but so far I have not found any that scores higher in user scoring than K10D and K20D.

Best regards,
Haakan

03-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Getting new lenses tomorrow

Hi all:

I should be getting the new 16-50 lens and see how it compares with the one I have now that does not focus well. The mail order vendor is allowing me to compare them and has been excellent about the returns I have made.

I also will be getting the 50-135, too. I hope that is a good copy. I am a bit nervous. I know there has been a lot of talk about the quality control issues of the 16-50 lens. Is this just a Pentax problem or do Canon and Nikon have the same level of returns? I know no company can mass produce lenses without any issues, but this seems problematic--or is it just that I am annoyed it happened to me?

Also, can you let me know how I can upload a picture with the EXIF information attached?

Thanx again. I very much appreciate all of your help.
03-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Hi lawjbm

Re your query;

QuoteQuote:
Also, can you let me know how I can upload a picture with the EXIF information attached?
Check out this link to a previous post of mine, which contains a number of useful links:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/117194-post9.html

If I recall correctly, unless you specifically strip-out/remove the EXIF data with some appropriate software before uploading your image(s), I believe the EXIF data should remain wholly intact for others to view it, using any of the software mentioned in the links I've provided.

Best regards
Richard
03-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lawjbm Quote
Is this just a Pentax problem or do Canon and Nikon have the same level of returns?
Look on a Canon forum for complaints about their 24-70L (yes an L series lens). It sounds like QC is as bad as Tamron's...people buy 4 copies to get one good one sometimes

For EXIF, I think you have to link to it...smugmug and zenfolio keep exif info...

03-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #35

"have a few dozen pictures from my living room"

go to search and type in front focus and tungsten. then adjust your lens in the custom menus whenever you shoot in tungsten.
03-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I think the more and more I use this lens the more i Love it!
03-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Soft Images with 16-50

Some of the pictures in my house were made under tungsten lights, but many were made under fluorescent lights. Also, many pictures were taken outside on a sunny day and also a cloudy day.

I really put the lens through its paces. I tried to be realistic and not as anal as it sounds. The lens simply would not focus evenly. Pictures of my children were focused in the center and the left, but not on the right. Other pcitures were "clearish" in the center, the right, but blurry on the left. I used focal lenghths that should have produced evenly focused images (taking into account the lens is a f/2.8 lens).

I do hope the next one works. I will look up the tungsten focus thread, but I really do not think that was it. Thank you, though.

Gregg

03-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Other pcitures were "clearish" in the center, the right, but blurry on the left. I used focal lenghths that should have produced evenly focused images (taking into account the lens is a f/2.8 lens).
Gregg...it sounds like you had a lens w/ a decentering defect (if you post an example, we can confirm).

Take a look at this thread and my post in it (the guy in the PFD):
Testing the Sigma 17-70 - Pentax Lenses - Digital SLR Cameras - Steves-digicams.com Forums
That was shot at f/8 IIRC.

Last edited by kenyee; 03-03-2009 at 12:53 PM.
03-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
julianactive
Jewell,

Compare your RAW converted JPEGS from Faststone to just a JPEG from the same camera. See if you notice a difference.
Julian, thanks for the suggestion. I will do a quick test, geared specifically at this. Thanks.
03-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
New Lenses

I received the new 16-50 and the 50-135 lenses. They certainly feel different than the 16-50 that I have now (which actually is the second 16-50; I had returned a first k20d along with a 16-50 lens due to possible shipping damage).

The new lenses feel like they actually are snapping into focus. I hope I am not deluding myself and thinking this is what I am seeing. There definitely seems to be a diference in focusing. Both of the new lenses behave this way. Focusing is a tad bit slower, but seems more accurate.

My informal testing shows the lenses to be much better. In both there still seems to be some right or left edge softness at 2.8 or 3.5, but only if you are looking for it. At 4 or 5.6 images snap into focus. I assume this is normal?

I will do some more testing during the week and will take the camera outside on a tripod on Saturday.

One thing I did not account for is that the 50-135 is a heavy lens and hand holding it while testing may not be the most accurate way to do things. Even with SR on the onboard flash pictures inside have relatively slow shutter speeds.

Assuming I keep everything—and I think I will, the camera feels great and is becoming more intuitive to use the more pictures I take—I plan on getting the 540flash.

Does anyone know how fast a shutter speed I can use with the 540 for indoor flash pictures: casual family an friend shots?

Thanx so much.

Gregg
03-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I received the new 16-50 and the 50-135 lenses. They certainly feel different than the 16-50 that I have now (which actually is the second 16-50; I had returned a first k20d along with a 16-50 lens due to possible shipping damage).

The new lenses feel like they actually are snapping into focus. I hope I am not deluding myself and thinking this is what I am seeing. There definitely seems to be a diference in focusing. Both of the new lenses behave this way. Focusing is a tad bit slower, but seems more accurate.

My informal testing shows the lenses to be much better. In both there still seems to be some right or left edge softness at 2.8 or 3.5, but only if you are looking for it. At 4 or 5.6 images snap into focus. I assume this is normal?

I will do some more testing during the week and will take the camera outside on a tripod on Saturday.

One thing I did not account for is that the 50-135 is a heavy lens and hand holding it while testing may not be the most accurate way to do things. Even with SR on the onboard flash pictures inside have relatively slow shutter speeds.

Assuming I keep everything—and I think I will, the camera feels great and is becoming more intuitive to use the more pictures I take—I plan on getting the 540flash.

Does anyone know how fast a shutter speed I can use with the 540 for indoor flash pictures: casual family an friend shots?

Thanx so much.

Gregg

Max shutter speed with flash (without going into high speed synch) is 1/180s on the AF360. Never played around with HSS, though.
03-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Gregg: go do that fan exercise I posted earlier...you shouldn't be asking this question if you did...
03-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What fan test?

Kenyee:

I apologize. What fan test are you referring to? I looked over the prior posts and did not see a fan test. Is it posted at the link you put up? I reviewed the link and do not remember seeing it.

Thanx so much.

Gregg
03-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Gregg:
Enable your flash, set your shutter speed to 1/30sec and take a picture of a ceiling fan, house fan, etc. This should work even w/ the popup flash. The "strobe" effect of a flash will freeze motion...
03-07-2009, 04:15 AM   #45
Veteran Member

had similar problems with my 50-135 lens, had a hard time finding focus, and the pictures was not "sharp". Tryed focus charts etc but in focus was blurry. Sent it to service 3 weeks ago, still no word from them.