Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax makes a nice cleaning kit. Cheaper than the 70$ and very effective. I use it when the Rocket Blower is not enough.

03-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hiroshi Quote
If you notice that the dust or spots intermittently appear, you may want to try focusing at infinity. I have noticed that the spots always appear at infinity if the dust is on the sensor.
Thanks, that's good info.
03-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Pentax makes a nice cleaning kit. Cheaper than the 70$ and very effective. I use it when the Rocket Blower is not enough.
Thanks, interesting video. I agree with the comments there that he's pushing kinda' hard.
The kit I ordered from the link provided earlier in the thread was @$40 and includes a Rocket Blower and everything needed to wet clean many times.
The cleaning by the shop was very effective and I now don't see any dust or goop in test photos.

cheers
03-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hiroshi Quote
If you notice that the dust or spots intermittently appear, you may want to try focusing at infinity. I have noticed that the spots always appear at infinity if the dust is on the sensor.
Not exactly. The thing is you have to be make sure you're completely unfocussed. Thus you should choose infinity or the closest focusing available. More important, make sure you use the smallest aperture available. Dust will show up more sharply at small apertures.

03-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
More important, make sure you use the smallest aperture available. Dust will show up more sharply at small apertures.
Hmm.. I never actually thought of that. I learn something new today. =D
04-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
It looks like sensor dust, but you say it "only" shows with the 16-50? Hmmm

Time for the white wall test. Go to a flat, clean, white wall. Meter off the wall at f/22, focus doesn't matter. Take the pic, then look for spots. Any spots will be in the opposite position on the sensor since the image comes through the lens upside-down.
Thanks for info on good procedure
04-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
I investigated some more and found my blower is contaminated, I don't know how or why. I used it on an old filter and it's spewing an oily residue. It's an old, cheap one and now lives outside in the useful junk pile
I sympathise completely (see my Very Annoyed thread). I found a spot of dust as well, tried to blow it away with a new blower and put 35 flecks of rubbish on my sensor! My Dust Alert image looks a bit like yours.

I bought a Rocket blower to see if it would help, but no such luck. So my K200D is off to be cleaned next week (there is a waiting list) for AUD$130. Me thinks the supplier should get that bill too.

BTW, thanks for that cleaning thread - interesting read.
04-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #23

Wow, thats a dirty bathroom

When I was still with zoom lenses and Nikon I used something called the "Arctic butterfly". It was a small brush, which can easily be electrically charged (small batteries inside). Now when you go over the sensor most of the dust jumps to the brush. I occasionally had to use Isopropanol and swabs as well though.

With Pentax, prime lenses and dust removal feature in the camera, the only thing I have needed in a year is the Rocket Blower in a couple of occasions.

04-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Because I use a telescope every once in a while, I used the Orion Optics Cleaning Kit (the shop is local to me so it's easy to pick up). The blower in that set hasn't given me a problem in 2 years of using it.

When using the blower, I have to be pretty aggressive with it since it's smaller than the rocket blower brand.

Another thing that I've found to be a good practice (so far) has been to enable the dust removal on camera startup (since I'm turning the camera on and off a lot).
04-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #25
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by smigol Quote
Because I use a telescope every once in a while, I used the Orion Optics Cleaning Kit (the shop is local to me so it's easy to pick up). The blower in that set hasn't given me a problem in 2 years of using it.
Since you use a telescope what would be a decent one for a rank amateur astronomer in the making?
04-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #26
Site Supporter

It was bound to happen, after 2.5 years with a DSLR I just ordered a wet sensor cleaning kit. I found a link on this forum for "Digital Survival KIT - Sensor Swab Type 2 (w/Eclipse)." I use my K110D for astrophotography and suddenly I had several dozen spots in my flats. A session with my Giotto Rocket Blower only removed a few of them. Two more sessions remove just two more spots. I've never had these blower-proof spots with the K100D I use for daytime. I suspect the surface of the sensor got moist since I have the K110D out at all times of the night.

My one caveat is the K110D is filterless. I will be wiping the actual sensor, not an IR filter. I'm a little nervous since the camera is difficult/expensive to replace. I removed the filter myself and broke the camera. I paid Pentax $212 to fix it but I don't want to go through that again.

Most of the information about sensor cleaning does not mention cleaning a naked sensor.
04-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I followed the instructions on the "Inspecting for Dust" from the Cleaning Digital Sensors site and am quite depressed at my "Clean Sensor". I reversed the colors (white to black) to see the dust better and am very dismayed at how many specks I discovered.

I don't suggest anyone else doing this............lol.
04-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Quote [It was bound to happen, after 2.5 years with a DSLR I just ordered a wet sensor cleaning kit.]

Followup:

I received my cleaning kit and used it on my very dirty astro K110D. It took me 3 tries using 3 of 4 supplied swabbers.

First try the wet swab only cleaned 1/2 the sensor (bottom of the computer screen). I may have not been perpendicular to the sensor. Second try cleared the top area but added some new stuff to the bottom. The third time I did something different, let the camera stand and dry before attaching a lens and testing. I'm down from dozens of dots to one dot, less that this camera has had in a long time. Each test was a sky shot at f22.

I will continue to use my Giotto Rocket Blaster in the future, resorting to wet cleaning only when it gets really bad. Once my 4th swabber is used up I pretty sure I can add my own Pec*Pad material to the swabber handles.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 04-16-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: touched up