Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
dirty sensor ?

Could this be anything but a dirty sensor? I've done everything but wet clean, "dust alert" shows a lot of crap that won't go away and this spot shows up occasionally under specific conditions (f11 w/bright background or flash and so far only with the DA*16-50).

Name:  imgp1809-s.jpg
Views: 2261
Size:  56.5 KB

tia

02-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It looks like sensor dust, but you say it "only" shows with the 16-50? Hmmm

Time for the white wall test. Go to a flat, clean, white wall. Meter off the wall at f/22, focus doesn't matter. Take the pic, then look for spots. Any spots will be in the opposite position on the sensor since the image comes through the lens upside-down.
02-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If it's only coming on the 16-50, then it is probably the lens itself that is dusty and not the sensor... Do a similar test as ryan suggested on at least one other lens. If it is a dusty sensor, the spots should show up the same no matter the lens.
02-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Dust on a lens will rarely show in a picture. Doesn't the K200D have the dust map feature? If so, time to check it out.

02-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Sensor dirt.
02-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
It looks like sensor dust, but you say it "only" shows with the 16-50? Hmmm

Time for the white wall test. Go to a flat, clean, white wall. Meter off the wall at f/22, focus doesn't matter. Take the pic, then look for spots. Any spots will be in the opposite position on the sensor since the image comes through the lens upside-down.
Thanks for the replies. I was using my fridge, but switched to the bathroom with amazing results.

Name:  dust-flash_01-s.jpg
Views: 6199
Size:  19.5 KB

Now that's a dirty sensor.

Here's the dust jpeg from the cam:

Name:  dust-cam_01-s.jpg
Views: 2615
Size:  12.2 KB

I guess it's to the local repair shop for me. They want $70 for rush/1-day cleaning, otherwise it takes 2-3 days! Also I'll be ordering my own cleaning supplies for the future.

cheers
02-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In the other threads on this subject this link was often included:
Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning. - Introduction
They have great info with step-by-step, illustrated instructions and fair prices for the supplies. I got everything I need to clean my sensor for the foreseeable future for under $40.

02-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Forum Member

cost of sensor cleaning reference point

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
Thanks for the replies. I was using my fridge, but switched to the bathroom with amazing results.

I guess it's to the local repair shop for me. They want $70 for rush/1-day cleaning, otherwise it takes 2-3 days! Also I'll be ordering my own cleaning supplies for the future.

cheers
As a reference point, the charge for sensor cleaning (with Katzeye install...good timing for me) in the SF Bay Area is $40. I guess that $70 for a rush service is reasonable...although I would not pay it unless I needed the body and didn't have another.

That said, you can easily remove the sensor dust in PP so perhaps you can wait to have it cleaned until you can do without it for a few days...

Good luck,
David
02-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

I had a lot of crap on my sensor also. But nothing like yours, Tried to get it but couldn't. Took it to my camera guy and it was $70 also. But he doesn't just clean the sensor. He does all the surrounding areas so it doesn't wind up on the sensor from within the camera itself. I thought it was worth it. Plus I trust the guy.
03-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all, just to follow up...

The dirt doesn't just show with the 16-50, I now see it with every lens.

If "dust map" is the same as Dust Alert then yes, the K200 has it and I've been using that and Dust Removal with good results until now.

The only repair shop left 'round here charges $50 to thoroughly clean the chamber and sensor. They also offer a deal where they clean monthly, quarterly or annually for a set fee. As I said, 1-day service is additional and worth it to me as I only have 1 dslr body atm.

I investigated some more and found my blower is contaminated, I don't know how or why. I used it on an old filter and it's spewing an oily residue. It's an old, cheap one and now lives outside in the useful junk pile
03-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

If "dust map" is the same as Dust Alert then yes, the K200 has it and I've been using that and Dust Removal with good results until now.

The only repair shop left 'round here charges $50 to thoroughly clean the chamber and sensor. They also offer a deal where they clean monthly, quarterly or annually for a set fee. As I said, 1-day service is additional and worth it to me as I only have 1 dslr body atm.

I investigated some more and found my blower is contaminated, I don't know how or why. I used it on an old filter and it's spewing an oily residue. It's an old, cheap one and now lives outside in the useful junk pile
This is why I use <shudder> canned gas </shudder> for cleaning the sensors in my cameras. At least a can of gas isn't sucking crud into itself when it re inflates.
03-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This is why I use <shudder> canned gas </shudder> for cleaning the sensors in my cameras. At least a can of gas isn't sucking crud into itself when it re inflates.
And neither is the Rocket Blower. It blows out through the nozzle and sucks in through it's butt (where there's a little filter).
03-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Man that stinks, You try to clean and the blower makes it worse.
I heard some of the cheap blowers would do this (after I bought one) and promptly got a rocket blower and it really has been all I needed. Had a tough spot on my k20 when it was new that was really hard to blow off though.
03-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
Forum Member

If you notice that the dust or spots intermittently appear, you may want to try focusing at infinity. I have noticed that the spots always appear at infinity if the dust is on the sensor.
03-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
Damn Brit

Moved to DSLR Discussion.