Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Forum Member

Ya hoooo! I am one of you today.

Well I can't hold it in, a proud Pentax owner. I finally got my brand spanking new K200D this morning. I am so excited. I am sure you guys have no Idea how I feel
Any way, started reading the manual and noticed it did not come with a memory card. I should have known. Anyway went to my local Costco and picked up a Sandisk Ultra 11 SDHC 8GB class 4 15mb/s 100x read write card for $34.00. Is this a good card for this camera? or should I return it and get something else?
I can't wait to get started. I have not got a clue about iso and aperture and so on. It will be a long and slow process for me. So please be patient with me and my questions. I cant wait to get going with it.

02-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Banned

your card is more than adequate, go take some photos with your new camera.
02-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The card you got is more than good enough!

Now slap it in, put in batteries, format the memory card, put the little dial on "P" and go take pictures! Get a feel for the camera and what it can do, and worry about everything else later

You can read the manual later tonight and learn about your new toy once you got a feel for it.

Pat
02-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Now slap it in, put in batteries, format the memory card, put the little dial on "P" and go take pictures!

I remember the feeling the day i got my K10D... the best spring time in years.... shooting random stuff everyday!

Go out and play man.. it is a great feeling!!

02-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Kei

Congrats on your new purchase. I bought the K200d too a few months ago....so I know that feeling too . The camera is a joy to use and the picture quality is stunning. I'm sure you will like it too.

You got a very good memory card, actually I am looking at buying the same one as well.
02-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Sorry for raining on your parade, but doesn't that camera require a lens?

BTW, can this cam take a picture without a card? I suspect it can take a picture without a lens but not without a card.
02-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sinus007 Quote

BTW, can this cam take a picture without a card? I suspect it can take a picture without a lens but not without a card.
You are correct, it needs the card, otherwise you can't take a picture - and you need a lens OR you drill a tiny hole in the lens cap and use your K200 as a pinhole camera!

Welcome to the club.

Ben
02-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Damn good idea. I have a spare lens cap somewhere just for a drill......

02-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
ntx
Forum Member

Congratulations Sitting Bull!
I hope to post a similar message soon... when I'll own my K200D. I envy you!
(still have not enough money here... )

I just read the manual of the camera more then one time: I think I know the camera better than the dealer!

Bye
Jenner
02-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
A lens???? You mean I need a lens?
Well all I can say is wow!
I went outside and of course a plane is right above me so I take a couple. But it was on auto. But still very nice shots. Any way my wife asked me to take a couple of shots of a Barbie doll that she putting on ebay. My first photo shoot Lousy pay.
Any way Like I said I have no experience at all, so when you say put it on p mode and go shoot, do I have to play with any exposures or anything.
guess I need to look for a good book tonight. I feel stupid asking such basic questions.
Thanks for your replies and enthusiasm for this amazing hobby.
02-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Pentaxian Fellowship! Yes, you've got a whole lot to learn: take your time and and enjoy the process. There are books--even the bad ones help--but practice and experimentation is really the key.
02-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

man, you have it badly. amazing hobby? it's a damn money and time black hole (so yeah, amazing in a way), you poor thing.. i can quit anytime, ofcourse, only been at it for a decade or so, no problem to give it up... ughh..

no idea what you're talking about. it's just a camera, why the excitement?

when i got my k100d, after selling away my nikon d50 (so, some might say, not much of a switch), i was so eager and happy you couldn't have stopped me with a seven nation army (i like that song.. ).

it is, (un)fortunately in the nature of our hobby: whatever anyone will say, we tend to love our toys, and the camera _is_ important: if you enjoy using it, it will help you towards, at least, taking more pictures, imensly, and taking many pictures is the first step (and one you cannot skip). for some strange reason never explained to date, most photographers will take a lot more pictures when they get new gear. sometimes it gets so addictive that you end up in a vicious circle (you get a body and kit, you shoot, you like it, you get another lens, it's new, so another shooting frenzy, you want more lenses, and so on -- and thus the dreaded lba is born)

just go out and shoot, have fun. it does not matter what you shoot, just enjoy it. after the weekend, you can read all the stuff you need, for now, as proposed above, set the k200d on "p" (the dial on the left-hand corner), and shoot away. come back here with questions, if need be, and you will certainly get the help you need and useful links

have fun
02-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
A lens???? You mean I need a lens?
Well all I can say is wow!
I went outside and of course a plane is right above me so I take a couple. But it was on auto. But still very nice shots. Any way my wife asked me to take a couple of shots of a Barbie doll that she putting on ebay. My first photo shoot Lousy pay.
Any way Like I said I have no experience at all, so when you say put it on p mode and go shoot, do I have to play with any exposures or anything.
guess I need to look for a good book tonight. I feel stupid asking such basic questions.
Thanks for your replies and enthusiasm for this amazing hobby.

For what I've seen some of those Barbie's go for, the pay might not be too bad at all!

Tim
02-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

"P" mode *is* a form of "auto". So no, you don't need to do think about exposure in "P" mode, although if you want to make changes from the default exposure chosen by the camera (once you learn why you might want to), "P" offers more/better options for deviating from the defaults than the mode actually marked "Auto".
02-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sinus007 Quote

I know everyone's kidding around, but I think some of these cameras will take a picture, but of course it's not recorded. Meaning, the camera will focus, the shutter will snap, and it will display an error message after the fact. So if you're not paying attention to the back display, you'll think you're taking pictures. I know, pretty dumb, but not too dumb for me to do.

I can't remember which ones did that, but just check to be aware.

Oh, and welcome to the fold! You're going to love your camera!