Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #16
Forum Member

Seems to me that you are referring to HDR photography. Typical HDR involves at least 3 exposures of the same scene taken via bracketing (-1ev, 0ev, +1 ev). They are then imported into an hdr application (e.g. Photomatix) where a high dynamic range image is created from the three. It has all the details of the shadows from the overexposure, all the details in the highlights from the underexpousre and all the details of the midrange from the proper exposure.

Links
HDR photo software & plugin - Tone Mapping, Exposure Blending & HDR Imaging for photography
Modern HDR photography, a how-to or Saturday morning relaxation « memoirs on a rainy day

04-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Most HDR shots I see are really not appealing to me. Just take a look on flickr for 'HDR' and you'll see what I mean... it's rife.

Basically it's 'mainly' intended use was for when there are two extreme lighting areas in a shot. .. say dark room and bright window. You merge differently exposed shots for one shot with all areas 'perfectly' exposed to create the 'impossible shot'.

But people use it for stuff you don't need it for because they like the look of it. I don't though.. you get strange halos around people for example (you can only really do HDR on static scenes). To me a lot of HDR shots remind me of when people go crazy with photoshop filters... bluurgh.

Have a good look at the work here

http://www.guyjbrown.com/abbeydalepicturehouse/index.html

Now there's somone who knows what he's doing with HDR. The use and look lends itself brilliantly to the subject
04-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #18
Inactive Account

oh.. awjweb I didn't read your post properly... the links you posted explain HDR v well already!

Hope you enjoy the work I directed you to for examples of an artistic use for HDR. I saw the photographer demostrate HDR at Focus On Imaging in Birmingham last month on the Royal Photographic Society stand. I was very impressed.
04-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #19
Forum Member

Christian,

I know what you mean about people using HDR in goofy ways. If you want the extreme effects a lot of them create you can simply use the curves adjustment in Photoshop. For landscapes I can usually get by with a single image and using a gradient selection mask w/ levels adjustment in photoshop. This is much like using an ND gradient filter on the lens. I just submitted a couple of pics in the "post your photos" section that I used this technique on. They are of people fishing near a dam at dusk. I used the gradient selection mask to bring the details out in the sky. I then inverted the selection and brought the details out in the land.

I tried to use actual HDR a few weeks ago when we toured the Missouri State Capitol buidling. There were tons of beautiful stained glass windows that I wanted properly exposed as well as properly exposing the building interior in the same shot. I was bracketing the shots but I did not have a tripod to assure that each shot was absolutely identically framed. Unless the HDR application has an alignment facility (like Photomatix) these small variances end up appearing as motion blur in the final image. The other problem I had is that the istDS only goes up to 0.5 ev steps in the bracket. I really needed at least 1.0 ev (or more) to capture the huge exposure range between sunlit windows and the dim shadowy interior.

Hope to get some nice quality HDR sunset shots this summer at my buddy's lake.

04-06-2007, 04:20 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awjweb Quote
Seems to me that you are referring to HDR photography.
This is different from HDR, HDR involves separate shots to get a larger tonal range, while the technique i describe, is multiple short exposures to mimic a longer exposure, thus reducing noise etc.
04-06-2007, 08:00 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
This is different from HDR, HDR involves separate shots to get a larger tonal range, while the technique i describe, is multiple short exposures to mimic a longer exposure, thus reducing noise etc.
It appears this thread has been hijacked by the pro-anti HDR debate. Posters might like to read the whole thread before they add their bit.

I was hoping to get more info on the noise reduction capabilties of multiple exposure. I know about stacking astro images to increase exposure values, but this is done in post-processing and is a completely different technique.

I want to explore the advantages of multi-exposure in camera. If anybody else uses this technique, would they like to contribute to the knowledge pool.
04-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Ah ok, so it's using short exposures to get one long one without the noise. Interesting. Might try it one day. I've used multiple exposures before... but never of exactly the same image.

Thanks for that info. Anyway, did anyone look at the link I posted?... great work huh.