Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Solved the "What the..." Factor

Well ladies and gentleman, news to me but maybe not all of you, i have found a use for the Multiple exposure function on the K10D. Ever have a static shot you want but no light, well by using the multiple exposure 8x you can gain 3 stops of exposure for your static scene.

First is the exposure that i used for each shot, guestimated, 3 stops under exposure, and not the most artistic scene, i know.

Pentax K10D, Pentax smc FA 50 f1.4, f2, 1/13, 100 ISO

Now here is the shot with the 8 exposures from the multi exposure setting in camera

Now granted in this case i would have been able to get a longer exposure, but in the case of longer exposures or in a studio situation when using a strobe this may be useful.

04-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #2

Yeah it saves the need for one more app on your computer. As long as you are only going to be stacking images with a multi exposure equiped camera you should be able to eliminate the need for Keith's Image Stacker.
04-02-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for showing us your test, Chris.

I have never used the multiple exposure set up, so you may have to guide me on how it works. Does the camera combine the 8 exposures into one so that you end up with one single exposure, hopefully correctly exposed? If so, there maybe a few times when it is advantageous.
04-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting how moire gets created on the right side of the TV.

Larry

04-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #5

Thanks, Chris. This is a new one for me.

John
04-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote

Larry
Is that moire or just the hole and groove pattern for the t.v. speaker you see?
04-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #7

its moire, but if you look closely you can see it in the original.
04-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote

Larry
only at certain viewing sizes, interestingly at 100% there is no moire visible, but at lower res it can be seen, the other thing is the grate over the speakers on the edge also forms moire at certain angles, disconcerting at times when watching TV and having a moire light show happening on the speakers

04-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

In my film days, I often shot multi multi exposures: 20, 50 exposures. That many multi exposures takes some calculating, but the effect was mesmerizingly beautiful, to me anyway. Incredibly saturated colours incredibly soft at the same time. I've tried it with various image editors, stacking, but this is an exposure trick I feel cannot be duplicated on today's dslr's.
04-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
Well ladies and gentleman, news to me but maybe not all of you, i have found a use for the Multiple exposure function on the K10D. Ever have a static shot you want but no light, well by using the multiple exposure 8x you can gain 3 stops of exposure for your static scene.

First is the exposure that i used for each shot, guestimated, 3 stops under exposure, and not the most artistic scene, i know.

Now here is the shot with the 8 exposures from the multi exposure setting in camera

Now granted in this case i would have been able to get a longer exposure, but in the case of longer exposures or in a studio situation when using a strobe this may be useful.
I think I'm being stupid. What advantage does this give you over a single longer exposure? There must be an advantage, otherwise there would be no point in doing it, but I have never come accross this before and I'm puzzled. I need to understand everything I see, and this currently has me bamboozled.
04-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
I think I'm being stupid. What advantage does this give you over a single longer exposure? There must be an advantage, otherwise there would be no point in doing it, but I have never come accross this before and I'm puzzled. I need to understand everything I see, and this currently has me bamboozled.
For long exposures the noise of the image is increased due to heat build up in the sensor. this increases radically to the longer the exposure is, there are some noise reduction techniques available but it is always a benefit if you don't have to use noise reduction. in this example i did, i was able to use 100 ISO instead of 800 ISO, or a 1/15th shutter speed instead of 1/2 a second. granted at this stage it wouldn't be that greater gain, but if you are doing longer exposures 10sec+ this would be the better way to do it especially since after each exposure in the mulit it gives you an updated histogram which is a help to gauge how the exposure is going.
04-04-2007, 07:35 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
For long exposures the noise of the image is increased due to heat build up in the sensor. this increases radically to the longer the exposure is, there are some noise reduction techniques available but it is always a benefit if you don't have to use noise reduction. in this example i did, i was able to use 100 ISO instead of 800 ISO, or a 1/15th shutter speed instead of 1/2 a second. granted at this stage it wouldn't be that greater gain, but if you are doing longer exposures 10sec+ this would be the better way to do it especially since after each exposure in the mulit it gives you an updated histogram which is a help to gauge how the exposure is going.
Thanks for that. I shall ponder on that for a while and see if the technique will be of any use to me. I never saw this before, now I did.
04-04-2007, 07:50 AM   #13

Interesting use of multi exposure. I have actually used it in the traditional way once or twice:

Of course, it could be done in PS, but more fun and more rewarding to do it in camera IMO.
04-05-2007, 05:39 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Darren M Quote
]
Of course, it could be done in PS, but more fun and more rewarding to do it in camera IMO.
Yeah, but i spend enough time in front of computers as it is, so any time that can be saved in post processing is a bonus
04-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Funny, I found this setting tonight & wondered what the point was. Thanks! If you had a shutter release cable this would be great for nighttime photos. Can it be used to get faint outlines of objects?