Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I confess. I'm a complete tech-geek. I've "hacked" my Wii to be a media player. I'm constantly diddling with technology.

That being said: I love my K100D Super! It's great that two years after I purchased the camera- after much comparing and deciding- that I'm still impressed with what I can do with it.

Many outstanding points and photographic proof of the quality of images that this camera can produce have been posted here, and in other threads. I'm keeping mine for the foreseeable future- because:

It meets all my needs for now.

It's a body. It captures images in a manner that is graceful and it "thinks" about the shot in a way that I can work with. Sure, it has it's caveats, it doesn't have a ton of external controls. But I can make menu changes when shooting in seconds, now that I know what I need to do with the camera and how I use it. All fine.

In camera SR. OK, so it's not as efficient as the K20D. But-the glass is what is so much fun with the pentax system, and I've spent all of about $250.00 on lenses that allow me to explore creatively photography.

The resolution is enough for me- I'm not a pro shooting for billboards. I make a bit of money doing interior and product shots for my own design company. Print for standard client needs? Not a problem!

GREAT low light performance. Much like Denj posted above, Here's a shot a took just grabbing the camera with a tammy 28-200mm that was on the camera. One 60watt bulb in the corner of the room, two 40watt bulbs overhead. I cranked the ISO up to 3200, and this shot was taken at f/4.5 at 1/5 second. SR definately helped! Yep, a bit of motion blur. I just wanted to capture the moment. And guess what? Noise reduction, .5 EV exposure bump, a bit of fill light and desaturating the oranges slightly in Lightroom gave me a shot that I can keep! Oh yeah, heavy noise reduction: 65 luminance, 85 color. Lost some detail: but I still have a "keeper" shot for my private photos!

Everybody has their reasons why they like/dislike something. I find that if something serves my needs, and it suprises me once in a while, I'm a happy camper. My K100DS has made me a happy camper for a while now, and so it's earned a place in my heart and life that I'll let it have for a while!

Last edited by virgilr; 03-04-2009 at 09:46 AM.