Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Split image focusing screen for K100D

Forgive me if this has been discussed in a thread before, but that's not such a big deal around here, right? I've seen the bile that flows when someone dares do such a thing at DPR...

When I'm using my K100D I really miss the split image focusing screen on my ZX-M, which means I get a LOT of OOF photos. A rare occurrence on the ZX-M. That little green hexagon just doesn't do it for me, especially when it barely blips focusing in low light at f/1.4 or f/2. I've heard of third party focusing screens you can buy, such as this one I'm thinking of bidding on:

eBay: Split Image Focusing Focus Screen Pentax DL/DL2/K100D.. (item 320093274390 end time Apr-02-07 22:00:00 PDT)

Uh oh...I think I may have just set myself up for a bidding war with several dozen other K100D owners on PF...

I've heard that these can interfere with AF -- is that true? I'd really like to switch out the focusing screen, but not if it means hampering the AF capability of the camera.

Thoughts? Opinions?

04-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #2

I am having the same issue with older lenses. I tend to hit the focus either a little in front or behind where I should. I have been thinking about getting one of them but need to get permission from the boss. I do think it has been discussed somewhere but I am curious also.

By the way, have you looked here:
Pentax DSLRs - KatzEyeOptics.com

They sell the screens new. Not sure about the quality of the ebay one.
04-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
MnR

Hi Finn,

From what I have read about them in a DSLR is that it effects the exposure, not the auto focus. You usually have to bump it up.

The one that you post is not bad from the people that have bought it. They said that the one from Katz Eye is almost as good only a lot more money.

Rudy
04-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #4

It comes from a Chinese seller with very little feedback. It might be a wonderful deal, or it might not turn up at all.

If the Chinese can make this, why can't Pentax?

08-03-2007, 04:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Split Image Focusing Screen

Hi all, I have a *istD and K10D. The chinese ebay seller cowy07 advertises a single screen for both cameras. Does anyone have any experience with this item. One post (Wigwam Jones) in another forum gives the *istDS version a tick. Also how do they go with lens minimum apertures above f3.5?

David
08-03-2007, 04:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
check out this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/suggestions-errors-help/10252-suggestion-...ad-sticky.html
08-03-2007, 04:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought this screen.

I don't know how much better the more than 3x more expensive katz eye is but I'm happy with mine.
08-03-2007, 05:45 AM   #8
and
Veteran Member

I would try out some of the chinese ones on ebay, I dont think the katz eye is worth it and it has exposure problems as well so no advantage for the extra cost.

af is not affected, but exposure is. how much depends on the screen. my screen works fine up to f4 but at f5.6 it will underexpose by almost 3 stops! I dont know why... oh, I am talking about min aperature of the lens here.

split prism screens go well with fast primes or f2.8 zooms. they dont go well with slow consumer zooms.

08-03-2007, 05:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Indeed the chinese sceen I have starts to get dimmer at f/5.6. Over f/8 is pretty much unusable for manual focusing. At f/5.6 one half of the circle starts getting dimmer but if you change the angle you're viewing the viewfinder from (I've found a bit lower than usual) the circle becomes bright again.
08-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Indeed the chinese sceen I have starts to get dimmer at f/5.6. Over f/8 is pretty much unusable for manual focusing. At f/5.6 one half of the circle starts getting dimmer but if you change the angle you're viewing the viewfinder from (I've found a bit lower than usual) the circle becomes bright again.
Thats why the Katz Eye cost so much more. It is usable to f/11 (and beyond if your eye is centered just right in the viewfinder). If you have actually used both screens (I assume the one I originally bought off of ebay is the same if not similar to the ones mentioned here) you will understand the Katz Eye being more expensive, although it is quite high priced. As far as exposure problems, I have the non optibrite coated screen, and it shows no more errors in exposure that the standard pentax screen does..
08-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #11

A bit off topic, but......I have noted that Pentax appears to be quite a bit more popular in your country than that of my own; I believe that there is a good Pentax magazine published in G.B. and that is true for LINUX as well. Why is this?

FLASH
08-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm also using the same screen Deni has. And yes, I think f/5.6 would be where the focus circle starts to go dark. Not a problem with lenses with max apertures of f/5.6 or greater (should you need f/16, for example, it's focus at max aperture then switch to desired aperture when ready to shoot) but it is a pain for slower lenses.

I haven't noticed any exposure problems using the new screen. As for the Katz Eye, I'm sure it's a good product, too, but I haven't the budget for one.