Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sony...Things to Come with Nikon & Pentax

From Pentax User UK:

From what I've read of the new Sony there are some that already are available (or will be very soon):

The fiscal year in Japan ends March 31st, that's also why shareholders are informed about new opportunities, markets and products.

Sony Japan just announced some exciting news about their DSLR efforts on their homepage (see Sony Global - Digital SLR Cameras for more details). Here's a small summary:

The flagship will be called definitively Alpha A1 (pronounced "Alpha One") and is available for September 2007. It will incorporate a newly developed APS-H (1.3 crop) sensor with 16 MP and other nice features that are completely new to the DSLR market:

- Shooting 10 pictures within 1/2 second while mirror up for choosing the right image from a series, no more "missed moments.
- Two CF slots for fast parallel writing.

- Regular 3, 5 and 10 FPS shooting modes, two BIONZ2 ASICs that process JPG and RAW in parallel, allowing 10 FPS RAW+JPG shootings until card(s) are full.

- Live preview with a small head-up display in the pentaprism for low-light shootings.
- In-body SSM for smooth and quiet autofocus even with older lenses

- WLAN and Bluetooth integrated (in the vertical grip), for GPS/mobile phone integration, remote control/storage, simple picture exchange etc.

- The image sensor has special parts that allows flash pictures without any pre-flash. Bye-bye lazy eye!

- RGB-metering with 1024 segments, with area-specific colour sensitivity to minimize channel clipping.

- 42 AF fields with intelligent segmentation, that allows shooting macro shots with 10 pictures at varying distance within 1/2 second (see above) and masking for high-DOF shots.

- Customizeable buttons and functions, Java-based user interface with open API for developers to allow creating personal tools.
- Of course SSS

- A lot of software that allows post-process most lens errors (vignetting, CA, distortions).

The price will be about 4999 US$ or 3999 EUR. There is an agreement that Nikon will incorporate this sensor in their D3x camera that will come for the same date.

The "high amateur" model will be called A10, having a newly developed 10 MP APS-C sensor with less noise. The selling date will be Christmas 2007. Some of the features of the A1 will also be incorporated, such as:

- Shooting 10 pictures within 1/2 second while mirror up for choosing the right image from a series, no more "missed moments.

- Regular 3 and 5 FPS shooting modes, one BIONZ2 ASIC allowing 5 FPS RAW+JPG shootings until card is full (fast cards) or the buffer is filled (1 GBytes double-port DDR-RAM, 75 frames)
- WLAN and Bluetooth integrated (in the vertical grip).

- RGB-metering with 256 segments, with area-specific colour sensitivity to minimize channel clipping.
- 29 AF fields with intelligent segmentation, as above.

- Customizeable buttons and functions, Java-based user interface with open API for developers to allow creating personal tools.
- Of course SSS, as always.
- The same software.

The price will be 2499 US$ or 1999 EUR. There is an agreement that Nikon will incorporate this sensor in the D300 camera coming at the same date.
The lenses are unveiled that were shown at the shows:

- Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* 2.8/24-70 standard zoom lens, full frame, 2000$
- Zeiss Vario-Distagon T* 2.8/16-40 wide angle zoom lens, full frame, 2500$
- Zeiss Planar T* 1.2/50 standard lens (G-class 50mm), 750$
- Sony 4/70-210 tele zoom lens (the beercan is back), 1000$
- Sony 2.8/400G SSM fast super tele lens, 10000$
- Sony 4/300G SSM tele lens, 1500$
- Sony 3.5-6.3/18-250 lens, 900$
- Sony 4.5-6.3/70-300 APO lens, 800$

These lenses will come in the next 12 months. Additionally, one new high-end flash light and the macro flash ring are released.

Additionally, the prices on the existing lenses will be reduced by 20%, since Sony wants to get some of Canon's market share, not the Nikon share (that is a partner concerning sensors). And because the prices are too high to take Canon's market share.

These are no rumours, but hard facts that can be read on today's announcement on the Sony corporate web page.

We discussed this about a month ago in regards to Pentax going 1.3 crop factor. Any Comments?

04-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Well Dam, I wonder if Pentax plan's to compete? And if so what are the price ranges we could be looking at. I know the 645D is to hit soon but I don't think this release will be enough to hold off Sony and Nikon. I still can only see a pixel race here from 10mp to 16mp. I also wonder if their pricing isn't going to be a downfall. I'm sure there will be those who will buy just to say they have one and then there are the pros who will really be looking hard at the system. But will there be enough glass to make the system worth buying into for the long haul?
04-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Well Dam, I wonder if Pentax plan's to compete?
Yes, they will release a paper cutout in the shape of a fish, which you can tape to Sony users' back.

04-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
wll
Veteran Member

This is great news for Nikon and Sony folks.

There are some great features that I wish Pentax will have in their next semi pro model.

Looking forward to Pentax's new hot machine

04-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You do know that this was an April Fool's joke, don't you?

Sorry guys...: Sony SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by carpents; 04-02-2007 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Added link
04-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No S__T?

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote

Well guess what..If it is, that has to be the most clairvoyant "April Fools" joke I have ever read...

S--T, I sent it off to my guy at Pentax..Who I am certain will send it off to Hamburg, who will send it off to Tokyo...

Oh Well..Never Mind.

Ben
04-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #7

The whole java/bluetooth/wifi thing threw me off. Waste of battery.
04-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #8

Why is it that so many people are waiting for the 'Next Big Thing'? Even when they get it they start waiting for the 'Next next Big Thing' and then the next next next.... well you get the idea.

Most do not not make the best of the equipment they own. I know many people who buy a camera on specs and then leave it set on Auto 99% of the time!

A good photographer will produce a good image with almost any equipment - take a look at the images produced by past photographic masters.

I like my 'toys' as much as anyone but I find the constant 'nitpicking' over the smallest technical detail counter-productive - I always thought owning a camera was about taking photos of the world around us not test cards.

Everyone to their own I suppose....

04-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote

I think the part about the A1 automatically making all regular veal heros into veal parmesan was a dead giveaway..

Larry
04-02-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The too-good-to-be-true part that has me drooling a bit as a programmer is "Java-based user interface with open API". That's something they really could implement now and if it were easy enough to share modules would really benefit everyone.
04-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The too-good-to-be-true part that has me drooling a bit as a programmer is "Java-based user interface with open API". That's something they really could implement now and if it were easy enough to share modules would really benefit everyone.
I agree. Just imagine, hyperfocal settings for various lenses... Or, focus bracketing for macro... Or, exposure bracketing with 7 steps for HDR... personalization according to particular needs. Maybe, one day...
04-03-2007, 01:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I prefer camera that is a tool for taking photos and not a programmable multi task gizmo. Even today a digital photographer has to be familiar with computers an electronic devices in order to use camera properly. With programmable cameras we would spend even more time fiddling with computers.
04-03-2007, 01:36 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could have used that GPS navigation with live preview this past weekend...Not LoL
I would have seen this comming...
04-03-2007, 02:42 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
Actually a very well done April's fool.

It's typically Sony style - shed loads of gadget features and HUGE numbers. Sounds like their other products .
04-03-2007, 06:29 AM   #15
Inactive Account

used to love my minolta gear,...but that train never took off,....
now the Sony bullet train is coming,.... so far , it's been lost in space,
I'am sure, once it arrives, quiet a few will hitch a ride, if they are not already booked by another line,...
for right now, be nice to see some sample images from 645D and availability announcement.
news: end of may, Metz will come out with a new sca for their flash to support pentax, cameras have come and gone, metz has stayed with me, ...

just my 2 cents, Robert