Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pricing a *st DS2 that doesn't like humidity

When I went K20D, I had my K10D and passed my old *st DS2 (in good shape) to my brother. Along with it passed the AF400 flash since it's TTL, not P-TTL.

Now he's thinking he'd like shake reduction--no other advances overly interest him. He wasn't going to spend (much) money on it, but I've just realized that maybe a K100D would be a break-even lateral sale, at least with the flash.

BUT the DS2, on a recent trip to South America, had a couple episodes of not booting up for a couple of minutes in very high humidity (e.g. for duration of a zodiac trip between boat and islands). This only happened on a few occasions and the camera quickly recovered. It hasn't been a problem since, but I'd definitely want to flag buyers that there has been that issue.

Q1 Now I've been seeing DS/DS2s (even DLs) hovering at around the cost of a used K100D (200-250), but what should I expect to sacrifice from that to sell a DS2 that might occasionally have dizzy spells? ( Also, it's selling out of Canada.)

Q2 I found a solitary AF400 sale on eBay in the concluded sales section, that went for $20 (like we can count on eBay for pricing!). Here in Canada, Henry's has several used copies for $170-$240 CAD (roughly $135-$190 USD) which I assume is right out the window. Didn't find any marketplace sales showing a price here. What would be reasonable charge to top up (or to charge as separate sale, though DS2 + TTL flash makes sense to me, since later cameras can't use the auto function) for a cosmetically so-so but functional AF400?

03-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just find a buyer in the southwest USA.

I think $20 is not far from the current value of the AF-400FTZ. I had two of them for a while that I bought for $50 and $65, and sold for $40 and $25 just about a year ago. The AF-500FTZ prices have fallen as well, and those have more features.
03-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Just find a buyer in the southwest USA.

I second that. A camera that doesn't like humidity wouldn't be worth much in Florida!

Edit: I initially wanted a DS2 as a backup body for a dedicated macro setup because I have a ttl ring flash that will work on one.
03-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Still hoping for a suggestion on a price in general, even if it doesn't suit your particular situation.

Note that when I say "doesn't like humidity" I'm talking acting up on the ocean, at the equator. Even on an island at the equator, it was OK. Not to push a sale on a Floridian, but maybe the market would be a bit broader than just residents of Arizona? It's holding up OK here in Ottawa.

03-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm not sure I would mention the problem. Let's say the camera was new when it happened. You send it back to Pentax because it was under warrantee. They look at it weeks later in bone-dry Colorado, don't see anything and send it right back. They would probably mention that the manual says "do not subject to high temperatures or high humidity". With no apparent lasting damage, it's unlikely to affect the buyer.

For a price, I think the $300 US barrier will be hard to crack, definitely more than $200. Maybe $275? The advantage is that it's not common compared to a K100D. Maybe someone just has to have a DS2 for its unique specs. In a Marketplace ad, I would offer the option of just the camera, or packaged with the flash. On eBay, I would have two auctions that end within a five minutes of each other, camera first, and mention each other. The auction should have a dozen good photos, four to six taken with the camera, a low statrt price and a good description aimed at including every possible search term.
03-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
Thanks. Still hoping for a suggestion on a price in general, even if it doesn't suit your particular situation.

Note that when I say "doesn't like humidity" I'm talking acting up on the ocean, at the equator. Even on an island at the equator, it was OK. Not to push a sale on a Floridian, but maybe the market would be a bit broader than just residents of Arizona? It's holding up OK here in Ottawa.
We have some brutal humidity issues here after July 4th through mid September. 90% or higher with temps in the 90s plus its the rainy season.

Back to your original question, there is a DS in the marketplace at the moment and the seller is asking $225 and a D sold for ~170 recently and a DS for $220. The DS and DS2 have some interesting features including the ttl flash as well as p-ttl flash capability. They also have a large view finder that is along the same specs as the K10d and k20d.
03-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Again, thanks. I guess I'm assuming that the brief moments of acting up by my brother's DS2 might reflect more sensitivity to harsh humidity than is standard for that in other DSs, and we'd have to price some amount under which I'm trying to define.

Maybe the humidity wonkiness is in fact a trait of the DS2, I can just take pricing cues from those other sales?
03-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote
Again, thanks. I guess I'm assuming that the brief moments of acting up by my brother's DS2 might reflect more sensitivity to harsh humidity than is standard for that in other DSs, and we'd have to price some amount under which I'm trying to define.

Maybe the humidity wonkiness is in fact a trait of the DS2, I can just take pricing cues from those other sales?
I'd use those price cues. Are you positive the wonkiness wasn't from the card?

03-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, new twist! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks yet again.

Not sure how I can test different cards relative resiliencies to high humidity short of cranking up a space heater in the bathroom with a tub full of hot water (itself a recipe for electrocution) but definitely something to try to evaluate.