Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
What are the class ratings of your three SD cards?

03-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #17

I seem to remember reading that the K200d was crippled in its dedicated buttons to not upset K20d and K10d owners, because it basically is not an entry-level camera, and too close to their capabilities.

Perhaps with the next line - if it is really coming out this year - Pentax could release a ROM upgrade that would allow say that RAW button which I've never found a use for to be assigned to other tasks like ISO, lens specific settings, and other 'missing' features, since it will at that point no longer be an issue for owners of the latest and greatest?
03-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sodbuster Quote
What are the class ratings of your three SD cards?
Toshiba is Class 4, the others are Class 6. But I learned to not rely on these meaningless numbers. These class have been designed for video streaming not digital photography. All I can say is that the Panasonic is noticably faster than the 2 others.

I seem to remember reading that the K200d was crippled in its dedicated buttons to not upset K20d and K10d owners, because it basically is not an entry-level camera, and too close to their capabilities.
It's true for any brand and that's why I love the K10D/K20D: no crippling, it's the Pentax top camera. The Canon 40D/50D, even if they are in the same class, are crippled because Canon wants you to buy their top-of-the-line.

Now about the K200D, it's just convenience. You can still control ISO the way you want. You still have spot metering and the likes. It's just a bit more difficult and time consuming. These will rarely prevent you from taking good pictures. If I look at my accepted pictures in the PPG, none of them couldn't have been taken with a K200D.
03-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
julianactive

I guess the question to ask is how much do you change ISO?
Using manual I am always changing, aperture, and shutter speed, and only if the lighting gets tough do I up the ISO. Let's say 2 to 3 seconds at the most.

But lately I have really come to appreciate the top LCD panel. I was in Best Buy today killing some time and handled the Canon XS and XSi again and other Cameras from Canon, Sony and Nikon. Still glad I made the K200D choice.

03-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by XATN3q Quote
yep get a new dog , get a Dalmation which could be very very playful

I upgraded from an istDS to a K200D instead of a K10D, reasons : I love the AA batteries solution (with 4 Enelop AAs I can take more than a 1000 pics, wow), the functions are great too. Even the shooting speed is not as high as other SLRs, I feel it ok to go.

below is an attachment of a dance-concert photo I took with my K200D
My cat loves the pet mode on the K200d and the FA50mm f 1,4 I should have used a smaller F stop, the face is sharp but the rest of her is out of focus.

03-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

After 6+ months I still love my K200D. I don't regret the purchase one bit. At this point though I do want for the extra dial, etc., but it's not that slow or difficult to work around.
I considered all the offerings within my budget (and of course a few out of it ) and my choice came down to a K20 with a kit lens or a K200 with the DA*16-50. I chose the fast glass and the cheaper body because it seemed to suit my purpose and need best and I was right. It's an excellent, weather sealed combo that hasn't failed me once. The only shortcoming at this point is the operator.
I was going to get a K20 for a 2nd body soon, but I may get another K200 since they're so cheap now and perform so well.

cheers
03-04-2009, 07:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
I considered all the offerings within my budget (and of course a few out of it ) and my choice came down to a K20 with a kit lens or a K200 with the DA*16-50. I chose the fast glass and the cheaper body because it seemed to suit my purpose and need best and I was right.
You certainly made the choice that will give you the best pictures. I always said that good glass makes more difference than a good sensor by itself.
03-09-2009, 01:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But it seems the most natural way - short of a dedicated ISO button that displays in the viewfinder rather than the LCD as the K-m/K2000 does - to control ISO with a one-dial camera.
And in any event, a dedicated ISO button is of little use if you still need to chimp the LCD.
You don't have to look at the back LCD while changing ISO on the K-m. The ISO value selected by up or down arrow is shown in the viewfinder, so you can change ISO while looking through the viewfinder: press ISO button (right arrow), press up or down arrow until you see the ISO value of your choice in the viewfinder, press OK.

03-09-2009, 03:57 AM   #24

In reply to ManuH (...have no direct control of ISO but you can't see it in the viewfinder or top LCD!...) I have set up the default to show the ISO, with a press of the OK button to see how many shots space I have on the memory card. ISO is shown in both the viewfinder and the top LCD. Why do you need to know how many shots remaining on a full time basis???

Tim
03-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #25

'Crippled' wasn't really the right word, since everything is still there, just harder to get to. "Handicapped" in the horse-racing sense might have been better. I like my K200d, even though the learning curve is much steeper than I had expected with my film SLR experience. That would have been true with -any- dSLR, I think, and I too, like the top LCD.
03-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #26
Inactive Account

'Crippled' wasn't really the right word, since everything is still there, just harder to get to. "Handicapped" in the horse-racing sense might have been better. I like my K200d, even though the learning curve is much steeper than I had expected with my film SLR experience. That would have been true with -any- dSLR, I think, and I too, like the top LCD.
I like the top mounted LCD too, just wish it could be illuminated like the K20, that would be the icing on the cake.
03-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
In reply to ManuH (...have no direct control of ISO but you can't see it in the viewfinder or top LCD!...) I have set up the default to show the ISO, with a press of the OK button to see how many shots space I have on the memory card. ISO is shown in both the viewfinder and the top LCD. Why do you need to know how many shots remaining on a full time basis???
I'm not sure you read my post carefully because I agree with you I don't need to see the shots remaining all the time. It will show anyway briefly after each shot and when shutting down the camera. But in M mode the ISO is not displayed at all in the VF and top LCD and there is no option to get it because the place to display ISO is taken by the exposure indicator (on the K20D it's on a separate place).