Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Underrated K200D !

I just received my K200D (from a member of this forum, thanks John!). For the record I have a K20D and had a K10D before.

I'm very pleased by the IQ. The sensor maybe the same as the K10D but something has been much improved along the way. The high ISO performance seems much better to me and almost equal to the K20D (about the same noise but K20D has finer grain). DxO Mark seems to agree with me on this. But above all, compared to the K10D: no VPN whatsoever even on very underexposed pictures. I also find that shadows are easier to lift compared to the K20D. I think a ISO3200 could have been a reasonable option on this cam. Pentax did it on the K-m.

The speed of operation feels very similar to the K20D except for the deepness of the buffer and slightly slower burst. AF speed is identical as far as I can see.

I like the deeper grip, I have big fingers and It's more comfortable for me. I'm surprised that the Pentamirror is not that bad, while shooting I forget about it, no big deal. It maybe a bit more annoying when doing macro and manual focusing though.

The bad is obviously the lack of controls. AF-C/AF-S have to be selected in the menu, etc. But the most annoying thing: no TAv, no direct control of ISO unless Sv is selected. And of course no lens calibration (I think that Pentax should include it in a firmware upgrade).

There are also some minor annoyance like the way the SD card sticks inside. The battery grip does not seat as fit as on the Kx0D. The battery grip doesn't replicate the dial either. No backlight on the top LCD (a bit annoying for night photography).

The scene modes are funny, in particular the "moving pets" mode. No comments.

In the end, it makes a nice package, and one that has been a bit too much overlooked I think.

03-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with you entirely. I choose the K200D over a used K10D primary cuz the hand grip was better + compatibility with AA rechargeables. (Pentax should have made the D-BG3 much more functional though.)

I've not used the KX0D series besides what little trials I've done at the camera store but I've not been disappointed by the quality from the K200D. Funny you should mention the SD card sticking. That happens alot with my Sandisk EXIII but is never a problem with the much cheaper OCZ 4GB card.

Its a bummer Pentax canceled it, I hope they got something nice for PMA!
03-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #3

I agree as well.

The K200D has most of the high end features such as shake reduction, weather sealing, pixel mapping, dust mapping/removal and the ability to accept a battery grip. It seems very underrated with its official "entry level" designation by Pentax.

I assume this is why everyone is saying that it's being discontinued already. You either enter with the K2000D or go right to the top with the K20D.

I seriously considered going with the K20D when I was in the market for something in addition to my DS, but at $360USD brand new, I couldn't resist the K200D. And let's not forget that the entry level bodies today blow away the top of the line models of just a few years ago.
03-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The scene modes are funny, in particular the "moving pets" mode. No comments.
I bought this camera hoping to take some nice pet pictures for my flickr but my dog is pretty lazy so I had to return it

03-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

But the most annoying thing: no TAv, no direct control of ISO unless Sv is selected
Can't you just hold OK while turning the dial?

I consider that to be direct control, and I use in on the K10D. Direct in the same way that typing a Capital Letter is direct.
03-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I tried but it didn't work. If someone knows a way to do it on the K200D that would be great. But anyway the OK button with a rear dial would not be very comfortable. The green button + the dial would work better I think.
03-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I really like my K200D, it's an excellent camera in almost every way. The only thing that annoys and limits me, and is pushing me towards a K20 or K30, is the buffer which fills too fast and takes too long to clear.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
No, you can't.

03-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

some extra press button and dial features would be nice (ie ISO), and a bigger buffer, but i love my K200D. best value camera in its class by far IMO.
03-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
I really like my K200D, it's an excellent camera in almost every way. The only thing that annoys and limits me, and is pushing me towards a K20 or K30, is the buffer which fills too fast and takes too long to clear.
The speed of the SD card play a role in the flushing speed. Currently I have 3 4Gb SD cards (Panasonic, Toshiba, Transcend). The Panasonic is far faster than any of them. But still after 4 continuous shots on the K200D it slows down considerably. This is obviously not an action camera. For anything else it's more than adequate. The Pentax are not that great for action shots anyway.
03-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I tried but it didn't work. If someone knows a way to do it on the K200D that would be great. But anyway the OK button with a rear dial would not be very comfortable. The green button + the dial would work better I think.
My vote would be for the Fn button to display the ISO in the viewfinder and then let you change it with the dial (eg, Fn *then* ISO, as opposed to hitting both together). Shutter half-press or OK or Fn again to return to "normal".

Not that's likely at this point. But it seems the most natural way - short of a dedicated ISO button that displays in the viewfinder rather than the LCD as the K-m/K2000 does - to control ISO with a one-dial camera. Note the K-m gets away with making the right arrow key double as a dedicated ISO button because it lacks the ability to select focus points. You can't have it both ways. And in any event, a dedicated ISO button is of little use if you still need to chimp the LCD.
03-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #11

Just my opinion, but if you're looking for bang for your bucks, the K200D is an awesome choice.

I've had a couple of Pentax 35mm film cameras in the past, and was happy to find that I could use my collection of lenses/adapters/etc. with this camera.

I guess if you're in a hurry, the ISO settings can be a hassle, but if not, it's not that difficult to hit the Fn button, right arrow, select ISO and push OK. I preset the ISO, use AV mode, use the wheel to get the shutter speed that I want, and take the picture. I've been very pleased so far. Granted, I'm very new to DSLR's, but I'm finding it easier than I expected.

As an "entry level" DSLR, I think it's a shame that it's being discontinued. But then, maybe there will be some new WOW camera to take its place.

Congrats on keeping your K200D! I love mine, and hopefully it'll give years of service and thousands of great memories.

Rick
03-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I bought this camera hoping to take some nice pet pictures for my flickr but my dog is pretty lazy so I had to return it
yep get a new dog , get a Dalmation which could be very very playful

I upgraded from an istDS to a K200D instead of a K10D, reasons : I love the AA batteries solution (with 4 Enelop AAs I can take more than a 1000 pics, wow), the functions are great too. Even the shooting speed is not as high as other SLRs, I feel it ok to go.

below is an attachment of a dance-concert photo I took with my K200D
Attached Images

Last edited by XATN3q; 03-02-2009 at 09:00 PM.
03-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've got the K200d and the K10d - both with grips. The only problem I have with K200d is the grip not having a DOF preview on the vertical shutter release, other than that I probably pick it up more than the K10d... It really depends on what I am shooting and what I plan on doing with it.
03-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
Inactive Account

The memory card sticking has to do with the weather sealing I guess. I love this camera. Simply joy to use. I agree it's slightly underrated.
Anyway the big problem is LBA

Flickr: sopiandri's Photostream
03-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
My vote would be for the Fn button to display the ISO in the viewfinder and then let you change it with the dial (eg, Fn *then* ISO, as opposed to hitting both together). Shutter half-press or OK or Fn again to return to "normal".
That would be a nice and elegant solution. Another one would be to reassign the raw button. This button is rather useless anyway, it doesn't allow you to cycle throught the 3 possible options: raw, raw+jpeg, jpeg. Stupid.

Anyway controlling the ISO is not that much important because the auto-ISO works so well that you don't need very often to fiddle with ISO. It's only in manual mode that it's annoying because not only you have no direct control of ISO but you can't see it in the viewfinder or top LCD! I use M mode a lot when using the flash and I usually set the ISO to control how much power I want from the flash.