Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2007, 04:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quality of Images is Dependant on Available Talent "Not My Images"

Preface:
These are images sent to me via a model agency wanting me to consider her for any future projects. They asked that I see her for a casting. They are NOT my Photos and are part of her "Composite or 'Z' Card'"

As per our earlier discussion regarding the issue of elements required to do a Pro-Quality Fashion shoot. I mentioned that all of the elements must be strong from the Hair to the Stylist to the Model etc etc. Well here is a sample of an average model at a relatively good agency in Paris. Now this is the "NORM", just so you see my point.

Here is her image...

Last edited by benjikan; 04-28-2007 at 02:56 PM.
04-03-2007, 05:25 AM   #2

Very profesional pictures. but i'd say it is prety hard to judge fashion pictures - you have to be profesional in judging also. in my opinion, everything looks very stilted and faces are kinda plastic. it's good for todays commercial purposes, because it's in fashion.
but none of these perfect fashion pictures can touch us. Thats why old people portraits are so interesting and make us think, coz we see in their old faces all of their ups and downs of life, pain and joy, thats left behind!
04-03-2007, 06:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting subject. Are any of the top models capable of doing their own hair or makeup or is it always a team sport? If a team do they always use the same people?
thanks
barondla
04-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
Sam

Fashion pictures IMHO are not to be judged only by professionals.
But they are judged by everyone, because they are part of corporate marketing strategies, addresed to magazines/newspapers/internet/tv/mobile whatever.. and thus to customers.. to us!

If we find them impressive, touching us, appealing, or just telling the right "story" that will improve or maintain the status of a given brand name, or make us, the customers, identify with the advertised "product" ,whatever that may be, then it is a success story and potentially Art, in the eye of the beholder.

I would dare say that fashion photography covers almost all kind of photography styles, from old people portraits to landscapes with models and all kind of setups. On every site, on every street, on every magazine you can find fashion photographs.

After m$ in R&D, procurement, production/manufacturing blablabla It is in the photograper's/director's/artist's talent to make it sell..There exists alot in his hands than we see at first hand...

So fashion photography IMO is not just art but part of our everyday life that is judged by the most stringent judge, us, the potential customers. Of course this is just my opinion

Cheers!
Sam

04-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Quality of Images is Dependant on Available Talent
With todays prices this shouldn't be a problem since one cam get a 4GB Super Talent SD card for 50 bucks
04-03-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

...and here I thought you were referring to talent BEHIND the camera...
04-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not MY Photos-Model Composite Images

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
Very profesional pictures. but i'd say it is prety hard to judge fashion pictures - you have to be profesional in judging also. in my opinion, everything looks very stilted and faces are kinda plastic. it's good for todays commercial purposes, because it's in fashion.
but none of these perfect fashion pictures can touch us. Thats why old people portraits are so interesting and make us think, coz we see in their old faces all of their ups and downs of life, pain and joy, thats left behind!
These ARE NOT my Photos. They are being shown so those wanting to get in to the "Biz" see what is considered a good model at a good agency. I don't know who took the images. They were sent to me by the agency for my consideration. They wanted to send her to me for a casting.

Ben

04-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #8
roy
Inactive Account

gawd, does she ever eat???
04-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Ha! Good one Roy

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
That thought crossed my mind as well.
04-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I was thinking the same. Especially the photo on the right.
04-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Life swap?

Preface:
These are images sent to me via a model agency wanting me to consider her for any future projects. They asked that I see her for a casting. They are NOT my Photos and are part of her "Composite or 'Z' Card'"

As per our earlier discussion regarding the issue of elements required to do a Pro-Quality Fashion shoot. I mentioned that all of the elements must be strong from the Hair to the Stylist to the Model etc etc. Well here is a sample of an average model at a relatively good agency in Paris. Now this is the "NORM", just so you see my point.

Here is her image...
Being a portrait photographer is like the other end of the spectrum - you get a total non professional with braces like ugly betty and a hairdo like sideshow bob and try and make her beautiful. To add to the misery you have to set up in a pokey office and take pictures of 18 different staff members in work clothes for the company brochure in 4 hours using a portable home-made studio....

Ben - fancy a life swap for a week
04-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Life Swap

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Being a portrait photographer is like the other end of the spectrum - you get a total non professional with braces like ugly betty and a hairdo like sideshow bob and try and make her beautiful. To add to the misery you have to set up in a pokey office and take pictures of 18 different staff members in work clothes for the company brochure in 4 hours using a portable home-made studio....

Ben - fancy a life swap for a week
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that the name of a TV program? Two people from different backgrounds change shoes?

Ben
04-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Small portions of very thin spaghetti/no sauce; thin carrots, thin celery, dehydratedwater
04-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just can't get beyond the skelton like body to see the beauty of the woman.
lord please bring back the sears catologe woman type bodies back to the runway
04-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that the name of a TV program? Two people from different backgrounds change shoes?
I don't know, but here we get "The Simple Life" where that idiot Paris Hilton blatantly mocks poor people as she tries to gingerly do what they do to survive.

These ARE NOT my Photos. They are being shown so those wanting to get in to the "Biz" see what is considered a good model at a good agency. I don't know who took the images.

Ben
Interesting how you emphasize that they are not your photos.

I find the top one an exercise in dramatic lighting, where the big highlight on top makes her look like she has a too big a head. It could have been done in a more flattering way.

The second takes the necessary evil of needing these models to be thin in terms of clothes fitting, etc., and making her look like a holocaust survivor with longer hair. That arm skin just hangs there.

I would imagine she is a very nice, modeling-capable, down-to-earth girl, but in my humble opinion, she needs to test with better people.

Yes, I can hear you saying "Yeah, what does he know"

Larry