Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I kept my K200D

I just wanted to thank everyone again for their input earlier in February regarding the XSi and K200D. I did (finally!) make a decision, which was to keep the K200D.

I got some help over at Steve's Digicams. I found the thread over there very useful as there were replies from people who use Canon and Pentax as well as people who shoot primarily sports.

I also posted a few of the first pictures I took with the camera.

You can see the thread here.

03-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good choice Edward!

Sometimes you have to learn to make the most of what you have.

A suggestion for your wrestling/sports pics, shoot in RAW format so you can ajust the colour balance, sharpness and contrast later. You can run the really grainy/noisy pics thru noise ninja, or convert them to black and white (a grainy/noisy pic has a nice "Tri-X" film effect in black and white).

Don't forget to shoot in Apperture priority or manual mode with your lens wide open.

If you don't mind trying a fast manual lens, you can probably pick up an old manual 135mm f2.5 or f2.8 on ebay for less than $100 and a M 50mm f1.7 for around $50.

Pat
03-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

By the way looking at your wrestling pics, you probably could have safely lowered the ISO to 800. You are lighting all the way to the back wall which is not necessary (you want the flash to light the wrestlers, and very little behind them).

Pat
03-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

An excellent choice, and I'm sure you'll be thrilled by it.

03-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Don't forget to shoot in Apperture priority or manual mode with your lens wide open.

If you don't mind trying a fast manual lens, you can probably pick up an old manual 135mm f2.5 or f2.8 on ebay for less than $100
I have just the lens for you, Edward!

I'm horrible about posting FS threads (one ever so far, MEF FS thread coming soon ) but I have a Pentax SMC 135/2.5 with oily sluggish aperture blades that I'd be willing to sell. As is it's only functional at wide open f/2.5, but that's what you'd want for sports shooting. Also really nice for shallow DoF portraiture. Lack of "A" contacts won't impede Av auto exposure either so long as you're shooting wide open too.

I've seen these sell for well > $200 in pristince condition (this being the better SMC version of the two Pentax f/2.5 K-mount lenses at this FL) but I'd certainly go well under $100 for my copy. Perhaps others watching this thread could comment on just how much under it should go for? (Factor in decent cosmetics, good optics but for a wee bit of dust, and a ding in the filter mount that doesn't prevent mounting a filter.)

OTOH, note that this or any non-"A" contact lens will, as I undertand and just tested with pop-up flash, fully fire the flash rather than work in P-TTL. So flash use would require jumping through hoops and may not be viable. The point would be to have a fast enough lens to shoot without flash, but I can easily see this could negate any interest this lens might have for you.
03-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edward B. Quote
I replied in that thread, I'll copy here.

The only way to counter that yellowish cast effect is to put gel on the flash that will match with the ambient light temperature. If you use the flash, I'd suggest to put your camera in manual mode. Take a frame without the flash and if you have a completely dark frame it's great. It means that only the flash will illuminate the scene and you won't get the ghosting. In M mode, set the camera to 1/180s (highest speed with the internal flash) and ISO to about 400 (400 doubles flash reach vs ISO 100). Set the aperture as wide as possible.

For that kind of sport I'm sure the K200D is up to the task. It's not a D3 but it's good enough. Try to get a FA50 f/1.4 they run for about 200$ and it's quite a bargain considering the competition.
03-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome back!

The important thing is that YOU'VE made the decision that suits you - forget the rest of us, as most people use very subjective evaluations of camera equipment.

The biggest negative in that is that if they don't know and understand their equipment they blame it for any errors.

If you really know what your system is capable of it can take brilliant images. Consider that Cartier-Bresson had a simple Leica range finder, but achieved some of the most memorable images ever recorded. He knew his equipment, and had an eye for an image......something for us all to aim for.

Good luck with it.....
03-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #8

its a great decision! I sold my ist DL and got the K200D and have been enjoying it ever since

03-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The big thing now is to not look back and second geuss this decision so you can instead focus exclusively on getting the most out of what you have. Good luck and keep working at it!
04-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edward B. Quote
I just wanted to thank everyone again for their input earlier in February regarding the XSi and K200D. I did (finally!) make a decision, which was to keep the K200D.

I got some help over at Steve's Digicams. I found the thread over there very useful as there were replies from people who use Canon and Pentax as well as people who shoot primarily sports.

I also posted a few of the first pictures I took with the camera.

Looks like you got a lot of good feedback in that thread. Every once and a while, we need to go over some themes and considerations. Good that you came to a conclusion, will be looking forward to the pictures