Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pierrot Quote
Dear all,

I have been reading quite a few posts (mostly on DPReview though) on the K100D battery calibration issue that led to fewer shots with a fully loaded set of batteries.

I am just wondering how to find out whether my K100D has the issue or not.
I can 'only' take around 150 shots with my NiMh GP 2700 mAh which sounds poor compared to 400-500+ from other users.

Any idea how to make sure (without having to send the camera back to Pentax) ?

Thanks

Cheers,

P.
There are several simple measure that you can do when you buy new rechargables. First; A single charge is not sufficient to charge the batteries on their initial charge. Sometimes it may take three full cycle charges to get a battery to 100% charge capacity. So, your initail charge should be a minimum of two if not three full cycles of charging. Failure to at least charge one full cycle will reduce the batteries capacity to ever charge anywhere near capacity...FOREVER.

And, as some have said, buy more, carry more and don't chimp the camera.

Batteries drain at the rate of not less than 1% per day based on full capacity. Charge them on a frequent basis whether using them or not.
Batteries not charged in six months stand the chance of a very short lifespan.

Stephen

04-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #17
Inactive Account

So, endless discusion about baterries continues…

I am taking care about statistics on battery use for my K100D.

Here are results:
Brand »Heitech«, 2300mAh, 2-3 years old:
28 and 54 shots => gave this set to my nephew (still good for toys)
Brand »Vivanco«, 2200mAh, new with 2hour charger:
412, 446, 280, 320, 520 shots
With body supplied disposables (alkalines):
340 shots

Eneloops, 2000mAh, new, factory charged:
1205 shots

Despite green lights on charger after 2 or 3 hours, I usually charge over night.

Hope, you probably now know, what will be your next purchase….
04-04-2007, 12:48 AM   #18

I am also very pleased with both Hähnel RCR-V3 and Sanyo Eneloop. 4 Eneloops are half cheaper then pair of RCR-V3 and you can charge them in normal charger for NiMH (equipped with processor).

I don’t use ordinary NiMH any more since I tried those two. Finally, this is what I expected from camera with AAs: flexibility and still good performance (battery life).

Pozdravljen, Pentacon!
04-04-2007, 03:54 AM   #19

Original Poster
All,

Well, well, ... thanks for the huge feedback. It'll take some time for me to read / study all this. Hope I will not have to dig too deep in my (long gone) engineering background to sort it out ...

I guess I'll go for the Eneloops first (or the Uniross Hybrio which should be similar I guess and much easier to find here in old Europe) since I do not shoot daily.

I'll keep you guys posted on any major improvements.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

P.

04-04-2007, 04:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

All,
I guess I'll go for the Eneloops first (or the Uniross Hybrio which should be similar I guess and much easier to find here in old Europe) since I do not shoot daily.
P.
Do get only Eneloop as the discharge characteristics of Uniross is different, i.e., Eneloop has very flat and stable discharge curve close to 5V for four whilst the Uniross frustrates much more, despite both are of new low self-discharge type and that the Uniross has more mAh. See:-

Eneloop:
http://www.users.on.net/~mhains/Tables/swiff/SanyoENE%202000V12.swf

Uniross Hybrio:
http://www.users.on.net/~mhains/Tables/swiff/Hybrio2100V-12.swf

Do note that the K100D is very voltage sensitive, so it'd be risky to try others. Only eneloop so far is widely recognised as usable by the public.

I do have both RCR-V3 and the eneloop. Still, I found that performance with RCR-V3 is better, still hold true for the AF speed. However, my eneloops are the first usable AA rechargeables of mine, after endless trial in these few years (but in vain, with Sony, Pana, Sanyo and Mitsubishi!)
04-04-2007, 08:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Dear all,

I have been reading quite a few posts (mostly on DPReview though) on the K100D battery calibration issue that led to fewer shots with a fully loaded set of batteries.

I am just wondering how to find out whether my K100D has the issue or not.
I can 'only' take around 150 shots with my NiMh GP 2700 mAh which sounds poor compared to 400-500+ from other users.

Any idea how to make sure (without having to send the camera back to Pentax) ?

Thanks

Cheers,

P.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before here. If you bought your batteries new, give them a few full charge/discharge cycles to let them break in. You should start seeing at least 400 shots around the fourth or fifth time around if you got a good set.
04-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All,

Well, well, ... thanks for the huge feedback. It'll take some time for me to read / study all this. Hope I will not have to dig too deep in my (long gone) engineering background to sort it out ...

I'll keep you guys posted on any major improvements.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

P.
Why?!?!

I suppose that your camera shuts down at a higher voltage than others... if so, why bother trying the Eneloops? They still have the 4.8V output of NiMH. Even if they discharge slowly. The lithium cells will produce 6V.

Depending on your preference I suggest the following:

Energizer disposable lithium AA if you dont shoot a ton, and just want to immediately start having fun with the camera.

R-CRV3 (Moby or Delkin) if you really want rechargable and dont want to send your camera away for repair.

compare with other camera body at repair center or camera store, then send away to recalibrate... use Eneloops after if you want to, or either lithium cells...

But honestly I am not sure I see an advantage to the Eneloops over either lithium cells. they are cheaper to get started... I guess by half. but if you can afford to amortize the cost over the life of the battery the difference will be small on a per shot basis

-k

04-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #23
roy
Inactive Account

All,

Cheers,

P.
why get the eneloops. they are over priced. walmart sells rayovac hybrids 4/$9

out of the package i got 864 shots over a 1 month period.