Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2007, 06:24 AM   #1

K100D battery issue

Dear all,

I have been reading quite a few posts (mostly on DPReview though) on the K100D battery calibration issue that led to fewer shots with a fully loaded set of batteries.

I am just wondering how to find out whether my K100D has the issue or not.
I can 'only' take around 150 shots with my NiMh GP 2700 mAh which sounds poor compared to 400-500+ from other users.

Any idea how to make sure (without having to send the camera back to Pentax) ?

Thanks

Cheers,

P.

04-03-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Batteries

This is another of those non-issue topics that floats about when a new piece of equipment hits the market.

Yeah, I know, I wasn't going to comment on technical issues anymore-sue me.

With batteries, any type, YMMV! period. There are no standard testing methods, no agreed upon goals or limits. If you chimp the LCD a lot you get fewer shots; if you let the camera sit for long periods without using it, the batteries will slowly discharge; blah, blah, blah.

Here's what you do: buy spares! 2 or three sets (or four or five or if you really shoot a lot 10-12 like me). Don't take a vacation or go on a photo expedition without a couple extra in your pocket/bag/car. If you use rechargeables get two chargers and one for your car.

I've got 16 sets of 8 at 2500mAh AAs for my *ist-D. On my K10Ds, I've got a pair of chargers and battery grips for both along with 3 pairs of batteries for each camera. Same with the flash, lightmeter, color temperature meter, calculator, MP3 player and the little personal fan I carry to ward off excessive perspiration from carrying all those damn batteries.

Don't whine, just do it!
04-03-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My Full Answers:- RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: When 1100mAh Li-ion RCR-V3s Outperform 2500mAh+ NiMH AAs ..

Hope this helps.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pierrot Quote
Dear all,

I have been reading quite a few posts (mostly on DPReview though) on the K100D battery calibration issue that led to fewer shots with a fully loaded set of batteries.

I can 'only' take around 150 shots with my NiMh GP 2700 mAh which sounds poor compared to 400-500+ from other users.

Thanks

Cheers,

P.
04-03-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there are so many variables... how many times you use the flash, how many times you preview the photos on the lcd, temperature, etc

my wife gets around 300 shots with sanyo 2500 mah but that is not using the built in flash or previewing her shots too much.
If you start showing people your photos with the lcd, then the battery life goes down significantly.... even with my K10D

hope this helps

randy

04-03-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
racinsince55

Batteries are cheap

The K100D is designed to run on 6V

2 CRV-3 batteries = 6V

4 NiMH batteries = 4.8V

IMO using CRV-3. Faster autofocus. Faster start up. Less temperature sensitivity.

CRV-3s have at least an 8 year shelf life. NiMHs ?????

YMMV, but I use CRV3s
04-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #6

Dear all,

Thanks

Cheers,

P.
Well, you could walk into a camera store with recently depleted batteries in YOUR camera... ask to try the batteries in the floor model... if they work, that might give you an idea that your camera is shuts off at a higher voltage.

you could try out rechargable CRV3 lithium cells from here: CRV3 Rechargeable Batteries and Chargers RCR-V3 RCRV3 Li-ion Lithium rechargeable Batteries MobyPower, Delkin, Lenmar
both the Moby and Delkin are regulated to 3V... so they are safe in your camera.

you could get a smart charger, that measures how much energy is charged back into the batteries. that would give you an idea if they are fully depleted or not.

but the bottom line is the # of shots. 150 is not very many. Try one of the better batteries... maybe even energizer disposable lithium which some people claim give 1000 shots or more..

-k
04-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
.......YMMV, but I use ........
Please, Gentle people, stick with English.

SMS/text message abbreviations are not universally understood.
04-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Your mileage may vary. Predates SMS/text messages.

04-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Bookmark/Favorite suggestion...

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote

Part of net lingo.
04-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote

I rarely if ever use SMS or text messages. These are standard internet fora abbreviations for the past 10+ years I've been reading them. Of course, YMMV. LOL!

(I agree, though, that taking the time to write out a proper response is always better. Since I work in a government bureaucracy, I try to avoid acronyms.)
04-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Dear all,

Thanks

Cheers,

P.
Well, as everyone else said, try some different batteries that you know are good. However, 150 shots is pretty weak. I usually get well over 500 shots on a variety of different NiMH cells. If I use lithium AA's I'll get 1000 or more. I ran a set of cheap-o CRV-3's (Walgreen's store brand) for over three months through the holidays and got 1300 shots from them.

Bottom line, you should get plenty of shots from decent batteries. One bad cell in a set of 4 can cause it to prematurely shut down, so I'd concentrate there first.
04-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #12

same here

I had the same issue. I posted this in both dp and here. It's funny that more people on dp agree that "some" cameras have the early shutoff, and almost all people on here say there is no problem at all with the camera. I am not suggesting one way or the other, I am simply stating my experience. You can do a search for my other post about my symptoms.

I personally dropped off my camera to Pentax in Toronto, Canada. I didn't want to deal with other authorized repair shops. The technician I talked to didn't admit this is a common problem, but agree that my camera shouldn't behave in the way I described. Pentax had it for 2 weeks. I got it back and on the work order it said "cleaned and adjusted". Didn't say what was cleaned or adjusted. So I put my camera to test. HUGE IMPROVEMENT. I purposefully used some 1800mAH to try. These couldn't even turn on the camera before the repair but now I have taken at least 50 shots so far, mostly with flash too. Battery indicator showed half usually after the flash fired but went back to full once the voltage recovered (i think). It stayed at half full starting at about shot 40. Considering the low mAH rating, I am really happy that I have gone this far.

So it's up to you what to do with it. I have spent money on 2 sets of Sanyo batteries, 2 new chargers (one with discharge function) before I blamed the camera. Some may say I am silly, but hey, I am happy now.
04-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Not just the batteries - chargers important

Dear all,

Thanks

Cheers,

P.
A good quality 4 way "conditioning" charger is critical to maximise life from any NiMH battery. Maha make some excellent ones. This can easily make the difference you describe.

However since I bought the *istD I started to use CRV3 disposables and on one occasion (touring in Italy) I got nearly 2000 shots with one set. AA Lithium disposables are almost as good and about half the price. Using about 4-5 sets a year came to about $50.

They can stay in the camera more or less indefinately without self discharging as well. NiMH will lose about 30% of their charge over a week which will severely reduce their lifespan in a camera.

Other advantages to Lithiums - faster AF particularly in poor light and light to carry for travel - I used 1 fresh set on the camera and 1 spare set and was good for weeks on the road.

Dont get me wrong, I quite like the rechargeable Lithiums in my K10D, but thats because they dont self-discharge. Having to recharge a set every time I wanted to go shooting really used to annoy me.
04-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this a fully charged discussion or what..???
Hi Pierrot,
Nothing like a battery chat to get us all going. It would probably pay to check a couple of things first, before sending the camera away.
Can you check each individual battery for charge? if not, can you get the batteries to someone who can?
(as said) If you have one battery in the set that is failing, it will drag the others down with it. quickly.
there you guys (& gals) didn't mention Eneloops once
04-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I bet the service centre simply lower the threshold for low voltage warning. Whilst you can use you AA rechargeables which cannot be used before, I don't know if it is need a good thing or not for the camera to be operated at a very low voltage than it was originally designed to be operated at, i.e., 6V.

I would still suggested regulated RCR-V3s if rechargeables are required. The second choice goes to Sanyo Eneloop, which should be okay and I have used that as quick rechargeable alternative or backup rechargeables just in case.

QuoteOriginally posted by SimSV Quote
I had the same issue. I posted this in both dp and here. It's funny that more people on dp agree that "some" cameras have the early shutoff, and almost all people on here say there is no problem at all with the camera. I am not suggesting one way or the other, I am simply stating my experience. You can do a search for my other post about my symptoms.

I personally dropped off my camera to Pentax in Toronto, Canada. I didn't want to deal with other authorized repair shops. The technician I talked to didn't admit this is a common problem, but agree that my camera shouldn't behave in the way I described. Pentax had it for 2 weeks. I got it back and on the work order it said "cleaned and adjusted". Didn't say what was cleaned or adjusted. So I put my camera to test. HUGE IMPROVEMENT. I purposefully used some 1800mAH to try. These couldn't even turn on the camera before the repair but now I have taken at least 50 shots so far, mostly with flash too. Battery indicator showed half usually after the flash fired but went back to full once the voltage recovered (i think). It stayed at half full starting at about shot 40. Considering the low mAH rating, I am really happy that I have gone this far.

So it's up to you what to do with it. I have spent money on 2 sets of Sanyo batteries, 2 new chargers (one with discharge function) before I blamed the camera. Some may say I am silly, but hey, I am happy now.