Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery grip for 20D

Hi folks,

What do yoy think about such option - chinese version?

battery grip 4 Pentax K10D K20D replace D-BG2 w/ D-LI50 - eBay (item 350132767961 end time Mar-28-09 15:09:55 PDT)

03-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, they're not even trying to obfuscate the pure design plagiarism. Does Hoya/Pentax not police this kind of stuff?! Anyway...

At $93.50USD I wouldn't consider it a bargain as you can buy a new, OEM, really made by Pentax BG-2 for not a whole lot more and gently used copies in the marketplace here or on ebay for about the same money.
03-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #3

Agreed! Go for the new, genuine version for just a bit more ($130).
03-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivo Quote
That seems a good copy but do they make claims about the weathersealing? The BG-2 is weathersealed to match the body. There seems to also miss the small metal hinges to lock the grip into place. Anyway I'd go for it if WS is not important and if it's much cheaper.

03-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I might be a little "gun-shy", but maybe this might help with your decision. On December 5th I bought a San Disk card from a seller in Hong Kong. It took a couple of weeks to show up, and when I got it, it didn't work in my K20D (the card wouldn't format). After several back-and-forths via e-mail ("Could it be your camera?" No "Have you tried other cards?" Yes - and they work fine, etc......). Finally they agreed that I should return it for a replacement/refund.

I mailed the card back on December 30th, and as of a couple of days ago they are saying that they still don't have it - but as soon as it shows up they'll be in touch.

The moral of the story in my mind - buy "local" if you can. If you end up with an issue on the grip (or battery), the hassle of having to ship it to another country, the extra time it takes to get there (and back - hopefully), and the difficulty in dealing with an eBay seller that may or may not be responsive isn't worth a few bucks in savings.

(And don't get me wrong - I love eBay, as a buyer and a seller.)

Good luck, whatever you decide,

Tim