Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

PEF files for the K10D and Photoshop CS???? HELP!

I'm new here and just recently found your forums. I did do a search for this question, but didnt find anything.

I just got the k10d yesterday (upgraded from the *ist DS) and photoshop isnt recognizing the PEFs. Looking at adobe's site, I cannot find a plugin for the k10d that is compatible with CS.

Do I really have to upgrade to CS2 to get PEF support??

Thanks in advance for your help!

04-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No you don't. Just download the free Adobe DNG converter, and convert your images to DNG format. Or you can do it in the included Pentax image browser software, but it's slower. Wait...you're using a K10D, right? Just use DNG from the get-to. I think it's just a quick menu option, but I'm not positive (I have the K100D, which only supports PEF).
04-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #3

I too would also like to know this answer. I think you have to upgrade to CS2 since that is what they have updated for the plugin. But, others may know something else.
04-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you are thinking of upgrading to CS2, wait a month for CS3. The new RAW converter alone is worth the wait.

In the mean time, you can as suggested either use the Adobe DNG converter, and open the resulting dng files in CS, or change the K10D raw format to DNG. If you change the cameras RAW format, be fore warned that the dng files are not compressed and average about 16mbs each. Pefs are compressed to about 12mbs. Converting pefs to Dngs in the converter are a even smaller.

Isn't it nice to have choices

04-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #5

Try downloading RAW converter from ADOBE

I think you will find that all you need to do is to download the latest RAW Converter from Adobe which is a plugin for Photoshop and will automatically open the PEF files for conversion to TIFF or JPEG after Post Processing.

Hope this helps
04-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Won't work in CS. ACR 3.7 requires CS2.
04-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Won't work in CS. ACR 3.7 requires CS2.
The plugin won't, but you can use the converter as a stand-alone program, so it doesn't matter. I use CS myself, so I have to convert to DNG before opening files in Photoshop.
04-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Oops, sorry roscot. Now I see what you were responding to...

04-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow! I can see this is an excellent forum! Thanks for all of the quick responses. I was going to start shooting DNG, so I changed the settings in my camera, it still says that I can take 122 pics with a 2 gb card. Same as with PEFs. Strange.

I will probably try both. I'd rather not have to go through the extra step of converting if I can help it. I think I will wait for CS3 and make the jump though.

Thanks all!