Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Color calibration of K20D LCD screen

Has anyone done it? Is there any way to do it besides eyeballing it by comparing to some samples?

03-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Forum Member

Well the thing is color calibration changes with varying environmental conditions. With a computer this is a manageable concern since the conditions may change, but are usually pretty similar, or fit into just a few categories (Office lights on...office lights off).

The camera is used under such a high variety of conditions that I'm not sure how effective the calibration would be, unless maybe you used a LCD-hood in conjunction, but still your eyes are going to see things differently depending on whether you're outside, inside, bright, dark, etc.
05-08-2009, 03:48 AM   #3

This is really interresting theme and I would like to get it to move...

It is valid observation that variable light conditions conflict with the purpose of calibration, but, it would be nice to know that camera LCD color is in sync with desktop screen color (under same ambient light). That would give us a bit better chance to properly evaluate our shots in the field and lessen confusion (which color management is full of, at least to me).
Given that K20D has some functionality for adjusting the cameras LCD color rendition, I think that OPs question about the method for calibrating it is really interesting and worth delving into.
Do we have color management expert/profesionall on the pentaxforums?

If we don't, we should get (at least) one.

05-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Has anyone done it? Is there any way to do it besides eyeballing it by comparing to some samples?
Apart from what others have said regarding the relevance of ambient light to calibration I don't see that there is a way to calibrate other than eye-balling images relative to a calibrated display.

There would need to be an option to provide synthesised direct R, G and B colour samples to screen for instrument measurement and then it would still be pretty hit and miss as the gamma is fixed. It's a geek feature for the most part IMO.

05-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I took some photos in JPEG and compared them to my calibrated laptop screen. I adjusted it to the blue side and it looks pretty darn close in color.
05-09-2009, 03:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Is screen calibration feature another thing that is present in K20D and not in K100D?

I myself somehow feel slightly cheated when the saturated colors that's in the LCD is not shown when using a calibrated monitor. Now I have the "match LCD" preset in lightroom to compensate for this when needed, but would be nice if I can calibrate the screen.
05-09-2009, 04:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Is screen calibration feature another thing that is present in K20D and not in K100D?

I myself somehow feel slightly cheated when the saturated colors that's in the LCD is not shown when using a calibrated monitor. Now I have the "match LCD" preset in lightroom to compensate for this when needed, but would be nice if I can calibrate the screen.
Yup! It's only on the K20D so far, and also on the k-m if I'm not mistaken
05-09-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote

Unless you only consider the term "calibration" in the K20D to mean that you can get the monitor and screen to match colour tint wise then you might have reason to be disappointed with the K100D. However since saturation or gamma can't be altered using the camera screen calibration function it wouldn't likely resolve the perceived saturation differences you mention.