Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Shutter Count - My findings on a used K100D Super

As some know I just came back to the Pentax fold and bought a used K100D Super. I knew the shutter count had been reset because the images were showing in the 400 range. I'm now just over 700.

I was curious to find the actual shutter count as the camera is in such mint condition. After doing a search on this forum for EXIF viewers I found EXIF Tool. What a great little utility. Just drag a photo (RAW or JPG) onto the icon on your desktop and a command window opens with full EXIF data.

I was very surprised to find the Shutter Count to be at 949! I was expecting much higher. I guess the original owner didn't use it much.

EXIF Tool can be found here; ExifTool by Phil Harvey

03-05-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is not rare to find digital cameras with almost no use. I guess the one you found was from someone that use to get two different Christmas seasons in the same roll of film.
03-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

*buys expensive SLR because that's what all the cool kids use*

*takes 20 pictures of self in bathroom mirror to put on myspace/facebook*

*attempts artistic black and white flower picture, comes out blurry*

*gets bored, sells camera*
03-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
I was very surprised to find the Shutter Count to be at 949! I was expecting much higher. I guess the original owner didn't use it much.
Picked up used K10D just a few days ago. Seller described it as barely used, and when arrived the camera looked like it was never used. Actual image counter has been reset, but PhotoME was showing 3957! For K10D that's nothing!

03-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
When you drag the RAW photo file onto the EXIF Tool icon a commmand line window opens. Click on the C:> icon on the top left then select Edit > Find. Type in shutter and hit Find Next and it should be the 2nd hit.

I'm finding it has to be a RAW file to get full EXIF data info and the converted JPG loses some EXIF data
03-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
I found EXIF Tool. What a great little utility. Just drag a photo (RAW or JPG) onto the icon on your desktop and a command window opens with full EXIF data.
EXIF Tool can be found here; ExifTool by Phil Harvey
EXIF Tool is indeed a very nice utility.

However many here also like PhotoME which may have a better interface and shows the histogram and focus point(s) used - it can also utilize EXIF Tool in being able to import the metedata to a photo that has lost its EXIF - try it - it is also freeware.
03-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
*buys expensive SLR because that's what all the cool kids use*

*takes 20 pictures of self in bathroom mirror to put on myspace/facebook*

*attempts artistic black and white flower picture, comes out blurry*

*gets bored, sells camera*
Quoted for truth.
The main reason we see so much gear on Craigslist from Canon and Nikon and comparitively little Pentax.

03-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
eclipsed450

i just decided to look at the exif data from the first photo i took with my k100ds, 178 actuations before i got my mittens on it; and it was new-in-box from wolf camera...
03-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eclipsed450 Quote
i just decided to look at the exif data from the first photo i took with my k100ds, 178 actuations before i got my mittens on it; and it was new-in-box from wolf camera...
That's normal. During the manufacturing process various tests are performed down the assembly line and that accounts for usually about 200 shots. Once ready to ship they reset image counter but the "hardwired" counter keeps going up. My *istDS has an "offset" of around 260, purchased new. (This is I guess similar to new cars: mileage does not read 000000 when you get your keys.)