Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by julianactive Quote
Didn't you just make an offer on another K10D?
Yes I did, but it was sold to someone else. The XTi took good pics, but it was more like a point and shoot. I spent some time talking with a local landscape photographer who I met on a local rail trail about camera brands and bodies. During our discussion he emphasized that all dslr's can take breath taking pics if you learn how to use them correctly. He also pointed out that it starts with finding the right camera that fits your hands so your comfortable with it and to forget brand names. I was going to give the K10d another try, with Sigma's new HSM lenses it should focus as fast as a Canon or Nikon, plus my first one was used when I bought it and may have had internal issues. I then happened to try out a lightly used 30d at a local store and since I already had two lenses, a flash and four 16 gb CF cards, I went with the 30d. I'm shooting in manual mode using a 50mm 1.8 lens and finally learning how to take pictures, not just point and shoot. I will more than likely own a Pentax in the future, especially since I'm really into using primes now like the 50mm and Pentax has a nice line.

03-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #17
julianactive

QuoteOriginally posted by Thumper Quote
Yes I did, but it was sold to someone else. The XTi took good pics, but it was more like a point and shoot. I spent some time talking with a local landscape photographer who I met on a local rail trail about camera brands and bodies. During our discussion he emphasized that all dslr's can take breath taking pics if you learn how to use them correctly. He also pointed out that it starts with finding the right camera that fits your hands so your comfortable with it and to forget brand names. I was going to give the K10d another try, with Sigma's new HSM lenses it should focus as fast as a Canon or Nikon, plus my first one was used when I bought it and may have had internal issues. I then happened to try out a lightly used 30d at a local store and since I already had two lenses, a flash and four 16 gb CF cards, I went with the 30d. I'm shooting in manual mode using a 50mm 1.8 lens and finally learning how to take pictures, not just point and shoot. I will more than likely own a Pentax in the future, especially since I'm really into using primes now like the 50mm and Pentax has a nice line.
Just curious why you would bash Pentax and then make an offer on the same body. Good luck to you!
03-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by julianactive Quote
Just curious why you would bash Pentax and then make an offer on the same body. Good luck to you!
I vented my frustrations with my first K10d here on a Pentax forum. It was a used camera when I bought it and may have had internal problems, or I was using it wrong, I'm not sure which. It would take good pics one day and bad the next even though the conditions or camera settings didn't change. Plus I couldn't get it to focus fast enough in AFC mode. It didn't help that the K10d was my first dslr and I thought I knew it all because I used a 35mm slr back in the day. Having had a K10d and now a Canon 30d I can say that the 30d does a better job of metering indoors and the AF is faster, but I'm finding that I like to slightly underexpose by 1/3 in sunlight so I don't blow highlights which is ironic because one of the complaints I had about the k10d was underexposed pics.
03-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure your K10D was fine (regarding the metering) If I recall from the problematic Mystic pictures, you were in spot metering and had a white sail in the center of the frame, which caused the camera to expose that white sail as 18% grey. The net result was a grey sail and an underexposed sky.

Glad you're happy with the 30D, I have the 40D and it's a great camera. Canon does have better autofocus than Pentax, but I never had any problems with the metering on my K10D...I DID accidentally bump the metering mode to SPOT once as on my DS it was buried in a menu and the K10D had a switch for the metering mode. Ironically, I was in Mystic when this happened and it took me a bunch of frames to figure out why my shots were horribly underexposed.

03-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well honestly I love the way the XTi looks, which is the biggest problem for me. However the fact that I'm spending nearly $1000 for adequate lenses to cover my range when I could get that from Pentax for about $200-$300, causes a slight problem for me.
But do you also like the way it feels ?

All cameras are capable of taking great pictures, particularly DSLRs. I find the Viewfinder in Eos XTi/400, too poor. And generally previous kit lenses from Canon, have not been something to write home about.

At entry level from C&N, I've found the D80 to be the best choice. But the Eos XSi/450, is the first good rebel, in a very long time. The kit lens for that should also be good.
03-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thumper Quote
I vented my frustrations with my first K10d here on a Pentax forum. It was a used camera when I bought it and may have had internal problems, or I was using it wrong, I'm not sure which. It would take good pics one day and bad the next even though the conditions or camera settings didn't change. Plus I couldn't get it to focus fast enough in AFC mode. It didn't help that the K10d was my first dslr and I thought I knew it all because I used a 35mm slr back in the day. Having had a K10d and now a Canon 30d I can say that the 30d does a better job of metering indoors and the AF is faster, but I'm finding that I like to slightly underexpose by 1/3 in sunlight so I don't blow highlights which is ironic because one of the complaints I had about the k10d was underexposed pics.
There is a learning curve with any new camera. Some of my first shots with the K10D were a little disappointing. I learned a lot reading through the threads on the forum. It was the ergonomics that that origionally sold me on the camera. Through trial and error I learned how to tweak my settings and now I would say almost all my shots come out pretty decent. I leave my settings where they will possibly under expose slightly but I find I get a usable photo that I can quickly adjust with minimal PP to get what I want. I have no issues with AF. I shoot sports a lot. Last week I shot over 600 photos of freestyle skiing which is pretty fast paced and only a few were deleted due to focus issues. Most were shots in a halfpipe where the focus was changing all the way down and the camera worked perfectly. Most of the deletes were my fault and due to motion blur and there weren't too many of those either. Shake reduction is great and I know it saves a lot of shots too. The higher frames per second the Canon and Nikon models offer are nice but I find the Pentax does a fine job. At 5 fps in burst mode I would have over a thousand shot to edit.
03-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well honestly I love the way the XTi looks, which is the biggest problem for me.
I hope I'm misreading what you said, because it sounds like the most important thing to you is how a camera "looks". I'll refrain from commenting on that until I find out what you really meant...