Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

is there a way to resize images on a k100d

is there a way to resize the photos on camera so when i upload them to my computer they are not like 41.xx and 28.xx?

03-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Size settings can be preset in the camera, just wander through the menus, I think it's the user settings menu where the sizing options are listed in quality settings. The RAW files are pretty much set at only the highest resolution.
03-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lotekbmx Quote
is there a way to resize the photos on camera so when i upload them to my computer they are not like 41.xx and 28.xx?
What do you mean by "size"? The images are normally 2000x3000 *pixels*, and that's the only size that matters. I suppose some software might try to tell you that they would like to print them at 41x28 *inches*, but that doesn't mean that is the actual "size" of the image - it's just a suggestion. You are always welcome to print the image at whatever size you want; no explicit "resize" operation necessary. Just specify the desired paper size when you go to print it and tell your software to fit the image to the page. It will handle the rest.
03-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The photos are defaulting to 72dpi (monitor resolution). Various programs change this "tag" so the measurements are smaller... Don't know how to get windows to scale but your software should have a default to change...
It's all about dpi....
http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

03-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Shoot at the highest resolution you can, and use a USB 2.0 card reader to transfer your pictures. Card readers cost about $10 and you can get a 1TB (terrabyte) drive for $100. You can get 200-300GB for around $60.

You never know when you'll need the extra resolution (well, I say always), so you might as well use all that your camera will give you. You never know when one of your shots shows Elvis and Bigfoot stepping off a UFO in the background of one of your shots. You'll want that resolution then!

03-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

OK good explaination

Printing images; what is DPI?(Camera image size vs. screen image size).
It is possible to change the number of pixels that the camera creates for each picture in the cameras set-up menu. The more pixels, the better the detail, but the fewer images will fit onto the camera's memory card.

It is important to remember that it is the program on the computer, not the camera, that decides at what size the image is displayed on the screen or printed on paper. As a general rule, images are displayed at 72 pixels per inch on screen and 200 pixels per inch when printed; most programs allow both of these choices to be changed according to your preference. However, if images to be sent via e-mail, note that Internet browsers do not allow the image resolution or size to be changed. Therefore a picture taken at full camera resolution will usually not fit onto a monitor screen.

"DPI" or 'dots per inch' refers to the output size of an image when printed. An image at 300 dpi means that in every linear inch there are 300 dots (or pixels) of data. The same image changed to 72 dpi simply spreads the pixels out further and only puts 72 of them in one inch.

When the output size of a digital image is changed (without "re-sampling" or adding pixels) the existing pixels are only being spread out or squeezed together.
For example: If an image is 3000x2000 pixels and it's resolution is changed to 1 dpi, it will print out at 3000x2000 inches. If it's resolution is changed to 100 dpi it will be 30x20 inches and at 1000 dpi it will be 3x2 inches. Each image has the exact same number of pixels, they are just pushed closer together in some images.
03-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's ppi not dpi and sometimes the printer not the computer decides what it wants to the point of upressing to 300ppi for most consumer labs.

03-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #8

if you shot in Raw, you can convert to lower resolution in camera, but for size, you might need to use software to downsize it.
03-06-2009, 01:05 AM   #9

Yes there is a way to resize the photos in the K100D, but I doubt that many of us have ever tried or want to. I never have til you asked.

In your camera menu, choose "Recorded Pixels". There are 3 options. 6M, 4M, and 1,5M. Here are the pixel sizes and file sizes.

6M 3008x2008 pixels 1.8 Mbyte typical
4M 2400x1600 pixels 1.1 Mybte typical
1.5M 1536x1024 pixels .45 Mbyte typical

You can also change the quality level. The above was the 3 star level. Choosing a lower level does not change the file dimensions, but can make the saved file smaller.

The only reason I might want to change to a smaller dimension is if I was stuck in the Gobi desert with plenty of water and food, but only one SD card, so as to cram more pictures into memory. But memory is cheap and so is computer space. The 3008x2008 pixel size and highest quality levels give you the best picture quality. For many instances, I bump the quality level to RAW.

The K100D is only a 6 megapixel camera. You really don't want to make the images smaller. That costs you resolution.

As far as handling the picture files in your PC, other people have covered it. I suggest you use printing software that allows you to set the print dimension w/o worrying about the image size.

I use Adobe Photoelements if I want to post process my pics, but for printing I use Olympus Master because it simp;y works better than Adobe, allowing me to put multiple pics on a page, etc. . It's a free download and the same program they provide with all their cameras.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/oima_softwaremaster.asp
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DiMAGE X50  Photo 
03-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
It's ppi not dpi and sometimes the printer not the computer decides what it wants to the point of upressing to 300ppi for most consumer labs.
What is meant by the term "ppi" you mentioned?
03-06-2009, 02:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

No. n/t

Do it at the computer at a batch after downloading.
03-06-2009, 06:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
What is meant by the term "ppi" you mentioned?
ppi is pixels per inch so 300ppi means you need 1200*1800 pixels to print 4x6. ALmost all consumer labs will re-sample to 300ppi. Obviously if you print pro or at home you can alter this figure, once at larger sizer 250ppi or even 200ppi will look fine.

See here .... DPI and PPI Explained
03-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #13

PPI vs. DPI

Being a newbie to this forum, I am overwhelmed by the knowledge and willingness to share it by the members. Anyway, having previously been in business for myself as a graphic arts consultant, I believe the following provides an excellent explanation of the difference between ppi and dpi. It may not come from a photography-related web site, but one must remember to "think outside of the box" now and then.
Prints and the Resolution - Solutions by PC Magazine
04-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Shooting in raw/dng, what is the default in k20d ? 300 dpi or 240 dpi ?

Thanks
04-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Shooting in raw/dng, what is the default in k20d ? 300 dpi or 240 dpi ?
72, just like other Pentax DSLR's. Again, this number is entirely meaningless - it has nothing to do with the actual resolution of the image.