Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2007, 08:10 AM   #1

Start-up of K10D

Hallo all and sorry if it turns out a stupid question but:

I switch on my camera, take a picture and then discover that the camera just didn't actually take it - everything is black with some noise. The problem is solved by switching off the camera and simply switching it on again. Then everything is fine as if nothing happened.

What the hell could it be? I shoot in RAW+. Could that be some warming up of the camera or something?

Victor

04-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nekhezin Quote
I switch on my camera, take a picture and then discover that the camera just didn't actually take it - everything is black with some noise. The problem is solved by switching off the camera and simply switching it on again. Then everything is fine as if nothing happened.

What the hell could it be? I shoot in RAW+. Could that be some warming up of the camera or something?
Victor,

My K10D starts up very quickly and will take a picture immediately, even after sitting unused all night. The camera does not seem to need to "warm up."

Did your camera SAVE an image when you turned it on and took a picture the first time? I understand that the image is useless, but IS there an image stored on the card?

I assume that, in between the first startup and the second, you aren't doing something you've omitted to mention, like removing the lens cap? ;-)

Joking aside, is it possible that you're shutting the camera down while it's got settings that simply won't take a decent photo? Try moving the mode dial to P and shutting down.

If this doesn't help, I'm hoping someone else has an idea. I don't personally jump to the conclusion that the camera is broken. Perhaps yours is, but in my case, the solution to most of my problems has involved a software update to my own brain, rather than a fix to the camera.

Will
04-04-2007, 09:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your answer, but unfortunately yes, I do check the lens cap first))

The camera saves the image - it is there stored on the card (as I said, completely black). And yes - I've tried it all with a preset P mode.

I don't have any doubts that it's me who's to blame, so the very question is what I do wrong.
04-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't have or know an answer to your situation.

I do know then when shooting a fast moving indoor event-basketball, volleyball, hockey I can get one very bizarre image when moving quickly from a scene with low brightness to one of much greater luminance. And also when going from high to low. I think it's from my habit of resting a finger on the trigger button. I 'lock-in' one exposure, then move and snap before the camera can recalculate for the new light/subject. In anticipation of a shot worthy play I have taken to pointing the camera in the general direction of the action (holding it just below my chin) and tapping gently on the shutter release to keep an approximately correct exposure setting.

From these experiences I would conjecture that you are simply moving too fast for the camera. Weather is actually going power-on and snapping the shutter immediately or making a big change in exposure conditions, you're just simply ahead of the machine. However, the total black frame is an odd factor. Like Will, my daughter and I think the K10 to be a very fast performer when going power-on to first shot--very fast. If there is a time lag here I might be inclined to check the mounting/seating of the SD card; the lens mounting and the state of battery charge.

04-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nekhezin Quote
The camera saves the image - it is there stored on the card (as I said, completely black). And yes - I've tried it all with a preset P mode.

I don't have any doubts that it's me who's to blame, so the very question is what I do wrong.
Well, it might not be you. It might be the camera. I just don't conclude that it's the camera until I've completely eliminated any chance that it could be me.

So, a few more questions....

How often does this happen? Is it the case that, every time you turn on the camera after it has been sitting, the first picture is bad and you have to turn the camera off and back on again?

Does it happen only if you take a picture immediately? What if you wait 5 seconds?

Have you tried a different battery? Harder to do with the K10D if you don't have a second battery. Does it happen when the battery is freshly charged?

What if you switch from Raw+JPEG to simply Raw, or simply JPEG?

Will
04-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Another question is, have you ever tried taking a second picture when the first one is black, and if so, does that work?
04-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Well, it might not be you. It might be the camera. I just don't conclude that it's the camera until I've completely eliminated any chance that it could be me.

So, a few more questions....

How often does this happen? Is it the case that, every time you turn on the camera after it has been sitting, the first picture is bad and you have to turn the camera off and back on again?

Does it happen only if you take a picture immediately? What if you wait 5 seconds?

Have you tried a different battery? Harder to do with the K10D if you don't have a second battery. Does it happen when the battery is freshly charged?

What if you switch from Raw+JPEG to simply Raw, or simply JPEG?

Will
So... That's what I can tell for sure:

It seems to happen always - on the first start-up of the camera after a certain period of being not used.

It does not matter how many shots I take - they are all black. I have to switch the camera off and on - and that's it! I start shooting nicely - no black frames AT ALL!

I didn't experience nothing of the kind at first - with default settings which for one thing means JPEG. Now I'm waiting to try it again, but anyway it's not a way out because I plan to shoot RAW and am not very happy to keep turning the camera on and off, so to say))
04-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Just out of curiosity have you played with any settings in the menus? Is ther not one that is in relation to the LCD and playback? I am at work and don't have mine to look. Just trying to eliminate possibilities and some internal setting maybe causing this. It's seems odd that it goes away however after reseting (turning it on and off again) good luck.

04-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

John brings up another good point. It could be the SD card. Have you tried a different SD card?
04-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Just out of curiosity have you played with any settings in the menus? Is ther not one that is in relation to the LCD and playback? I am at work and don't have mine to look. Just trying to eliminate possibilities and some internal setting maybe causing this. It's seems odd that it goes away however after reseting (turning it on and off again) good luck.
Hmm... I can't think of anything of that kind. Just checked playback settings - everything seems ok. Anyway I can't remember changing them. Will continue exploring the menus further although))
04-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #11

Original Poster
Good suggestion but can't try it at the time - I have only one card.

Oh. However I can try to re-format it. Thanks for idea!
04-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
Forum Member

I had that problem. It was definitely the camera (tried it with different memory cards and different lenses and everything else I could think of). Pentax gave me a new body in 2 days.
04-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sklathill Quote
I had that problem. It was definitely the camera (tried it with different memory cards and different lenses and everything else I could think of). Pentax gave me a new body in 2 days.
Too bad((( But thanks for sharing you experience.
04-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sklathill Quote
By the way, did they say what was the problem?
04-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Another thought...

To eliminate the possibility of an odd configuration you accidentally got into you can reset the camera to factory settings. My sister got her Fuji Point and Shoot so confused I simply did a total reset to make the problems vanish. I handed it back and said, "Now it's as good as new."