Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Disassemble KAF camera mount?

I can't find any description of how to disassemble the KAF mount on my K100D.

I only want to go far enough to replace the "A" pin with one that protrudes but I'm worried about springs etc escaping.

If anyone has experience with disassembly just far enough to replace a contact pin I'd like to hear your about the risks or tricks.

Dave

03-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah No and why?
03-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Ah No and why?
To test camera utility when it thinks all lenses are A's.

Dave
03-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck with that. I would guess no one here has tried. The risk is self evident. Maybe buy a PZ-1 on Ebay and take that apart instead. I have one you can have for $50.00 The mount should be very similar.

03-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Go here, about the middle of the page.

PM me if you need a broken camera to practice. I have one (part of a local Craigslist buy) with a sluggish mirror. It's a Pentax autofocus film camera with plastic lens mount. Can't remember the model though.
03-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Go here, about the middle of the page.

PM me if you need a broken camera to practice. I have one (part of a local Craigslist buy) with a sluggish mirror. It's a Pentax autofocus film camera with plastic lens mount. Can't remember the model though.
Thanks for the responses and the link. I have an idea to try.

Dave

PS SOldbear you've got either a great memory or great archives to report that link so quickly!
03-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
.... I have an idea to try.
It was easy to modify the KAF mount on my K100D so all lenses appear to be type "A". The modification is easily reversible.

Remove the metal finishing ring on the lens mount, invert it, put aluminum foil over the appropriate hole, then replace the ring. The mounting plate squishes the aluminum foil against pin A, connecting it electrically, and holding it in place

I used sticky-backed foil so the foil would stay in place as I screwed the finishing ring back onto the camera (the sticky side of the aluminum foil touches the finishing ring.)

All lenses now appear to be A lenses. In operation a manual aperture lens which has been stopped down will meter correctly (if the e-wheel f-number shown in the viewfinder is minimized.)

A & FA lenses work as they should in A mode.

Additionally the on-camera flash adjusts itself appropriately for fully manual lenses however far the attached lens is stopped down.

One of the reasons I did this is that I use 1 FA lens, 2 A lenses, and at least 6 manual aperture lenses (I have no K lenses.)

Dave

PS Using an A lens in M mode works ok if the viewfinder f-number is adjusted to agree with the f-number set on the lens.

I suppose that if a manual K lens is used with this setup, the max/min aperture coding of the other pins should be correct and the e-wheel f-number should agree with the manually set f-number; alternately a new pin stop hole might be put in the lens to prevent the aperture control lever from holding the lens open (that effectively converts the K lens to purely manual.)

Last edited by newarts; 03-06-2009 at 06:01 PM.
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i think i read somewhere some people have drilled a hole into the back of the lens right before the mount hole. and so instead of rotating the lens to the usual position, the lens can lock slightly before, fooling the camera. but you should look into that, don't remember where i read it anymore.