Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
645/47 question

What exactly is 645 & 47? I see a lot of lenses, and see lots of discussions about it. But I don't know exactly what it is . Could someone please explain for me? (If this is wrong forum for this question please move to correct).

04-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr CJ Quote
What exactly is 645 & 47? I see a lot of lenses, and see lots of discussions about it. But I don't know exactly what it is . Could someone please explain for me? (If this is wrong forum for this question please move to correct).
645 and 67 (not 47) is medium format (35mm and its digital equivalents are miniature format). 645 is based on a transparency or negative that measures 6cm by 4.5cm, and 67 - not surprisingly - is 6cm by 7cm. There is also 6cm by 6cm (favoured by Hasselblad among others) It is preferred for certain types of photographic work because generally it is perceived to give superior gradation of tones when compared against 35mm, better grain against 35mm at the same ISO, and superior detail (as it doesn't have to be enlarged as much). The next step up again is large format, which generally is 4 x 5 inch or 10 x 8 inch (or bigger if the need arises) sheet film.

Pentax being a thoughtful and considerate sort of company has made its K-mount cameras compatible with just about every lens it has ever made if you get an appropriate adaptor (though I'm not sure if there is an adaptor for the lenses on the old Asahiflexes). Lenses for Pentax 645 and 67 cameras can be adapted for use on the K-mount cameras, though you will find they limit the camera functions available in some cases.

It is not entirely inappropriate for discussion in this forum since Pentax appear to be on the brink of releasing their 645 digital camera.