Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2007, 06:47 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
If I remember my research, Beach Camera has resorted to some pretty nasty tactics...
I think you have Beach Camera confused with some other shady dealer. Beach actually has a pretty decent reputation and I am a satisfied customer. Be sure to check their sister site buydig.com as the prices can vary between the two sites.

Terry

04-08-2007, 04:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I'd just like to input my own 2 cents with regards to the original poster.

I've been on the ledge once. I sold my old 300D and was looking to buy a new DSLR. I didn't have any investments in Canon back then (this was actually just a month or so back), only a remote shutter trigger.

I looked at the D80, the 30D, the Alpha, and the K10D (Olympus' offerings didn't really entice me at all - the new models coming out intrigue me, though).

I eventually went for the K10D. Why?

D80 - biggest deal breaker for me was that no store here in the Philippines could sell me this via credit card installment. As well, VR technology is expensive for me. I'm not a professional photographer nor am I rich, so I can't justify spending extra money on VR lenses.

30D - body felt nice, took great low-light pictures, but as with the D80, IS lenses adds a whole lot to the cost of a similar, non-IS lens. And having no lens collection already, the included 18-55 kit lens felt really, really cheap compared to other companies' offerings. I needed a decent kit lens since I'd be paying for the body first before I could buy new glass for my new baby (with the exception of used lenses).

Alpha - body felt nice also, and for a few moolah more, Sony offers a double lens kit, which was really tempting, as it covered just about the range of photography I expected to do at the onset (Olympus also had a similar offering with their E-500 camera). Alas, photo quality did them in. I've perused through a lot of sample images (thanks pbase et al.!) and high-ISO images killed the Alpha for me. And I also echo the other posters' concerns about the availability of used glass at a low price for the Minolta/Alpha system.

K10D:

The price to performance ratio is the best I've seen since the first time the 300D was released. Terrific color rendition (much truer than the hyper-saturated look of Canon), spot-on metering (as an aside, the 400D still hasn't got spot-metering), snappy performance (major upgrade over the 2-second booting of the 300D, it's near instant for me), in-body stabilization which REALLY works (I've gone with a 1/4 shutter speed and still gotten great shots), accurate and detailed LCD screen, and a wonderful viewfinder. I can't put into words how much help a good viewfinder is in taking photos. It lessens eye strain and helps one get better-composed shots. And the biggest kicker is the sealed body. Not in this price range can one get a sealed body. Mind you, it WORKS.

Yes, I've gone on a limb and splashed liquids on my camera, crossing my fingers that it wouldn't void my warranty if it does fail. Guess what? The camera held up admirably. And just awhile ago, my cousin was quite envious that his D70s didn't fare so well in their trip to the beach, and now needs to pay for professional sensor cleaning.

The images I took using high ISOs have a certain quality to them that, for me, is quite akin to the old ISO 1600 films I used back when I was still using film.

The K100D and K110D are also keepers. They do fare much better in high ISOs due to engineering constraints. But rest assured, you get the same great images using any of the Pentaxes.

And the final kicker for me to go Pentax was the GREAT, GREAT COMMUNITY of Pentaxians the world over. My first post here was typed with great trepidation on my part. I thought people would be snooty and snobbish to a complete newbie to Pentax. I was greatly pleased when they showed a totally opposite behavior. I've become quite comfortable posting here, knowing that viewpoints are respected here, and that people are ever-supportive of fellow Pentaxians.

The only thing I'm not comfy posting just yet are my pictures. But that's a personal issue for me. Haha.

What you should know is that Pentaxians KNOW AND LOVE PHOTOGRAPHY.

So there. Sorry for the lengthy post. I just had to share my point of view since I was in the same position you're in just a few weeks ago. Just a thought, though: ultimately, the camera is just a tool, so whichever way you go, it'll be fine. Pick whatever pushes you to take more and more pictures and create memories.
04-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #18

Original Poster
Well, after a week of debate, I made the switch.

Sorry guys but I went with the Sony. At the end of the day, there were just too many features going for the Alpha. The $644 price tag was too good to pass up.

I guess that means my contributions to this forum will be limited. Thanks for the advice and help.
04-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dxdgenert Quote
Well, after a week of debate, I made the switch.

Sorry guys but I went with the Sony. At the end of the day, there were just too many features going for the Alpha. The $644 price tag was too good to pass up.

I guess that means my contributions to this forum will be limited. Thanks for the advice and help.

Good luck. I know that I am not alone here in feeling that the key thing is the photograph, not the camera. The Sony looks like a nice piece of equipment. Hope you have good success with it!

Will